iPhone Kingdom Rush Frontiers - (by Ironhide Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    And when I, an actual grown up who understands that virtually everything in life has de facto IAP, buy a hero or two just because it's fun, I will have not only invalidated your vote, I'll have outvoted you many times over.

The sooner the anti-IAP people figure out the only reason games ever came allegedly "complete" was because the technology didn't exist for such piecemeal options, the sooner they'll be able to start enjoying themselves again.

I've seen variations of this same pointless, petulant argument most of my life. Trading cards, comics, trade paperback vs mass market paperback, "collector's editions", chase action figures, pre-order bonus codes, CD-unlocks for console games, in store exclusives for Nintendo handheld games, etc., etc.. The details change, but the gist remains: a bunch of entitled blowhards who "remember" a better time when <insert for-profit hobby> wasn't so much about the money (even though it always was ;)).

2. TanRnet

TanRnet Member

Feb 10, 2013
    The thing is I would rather pay up front to get everything available in the game and enjoy it that way. Each dev can implement IAPs differently and some abuse it. I shouldn't have to research whether it is balanced properly or wonder if I'm getting the whole experience I paid for. For me it ruins the experience.

3. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I don't see how it's any different from researching the game you're about to buy to see if it's good... Just read a few reviews; they should comment on IAP if it's relevant.

4. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Game is a lot harder on veteran difficulty than KR 1 was.There I would usually spam archers and artillery towers which would mop up everything with later upgrades, in this one you need to be master tactician and know the whole stage and what additional paths or enemies will spawn later on.I can't get perfect 3 stars on veteran no matter how hard I try on levels later than 5th.Then again it's pointless to even try veteran on higher levels without all upgrades and towers unlocked.
    Anyway game is amazing , new towers and units are all fun , there are many factors from surrounding that need to be taken into account when making a strategy and a lot of funny references from movies, like the Tusken Raiders in desert stage that shoot with rifles from rock.
    What I do mind is all stuff you can buy with gems which are rather easy to acquire, like freezing all enemies on screen for a long period of time, nuke which kills all enemies on screen or worst, 5 additional hearths that are relatively cheap to get.So practically I could buy 5 packs of hearths and just let enemies get past and still get perfect, freeze and kill them all. Or just buy a couple of nukes and show them who's boss.So in the end game is revarding those who build terrible defenses or don't want to think with perfect score which is a bummer.

5. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    #185 Gabriel.Voyager, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    To everybody please, please, please stop speaking only of the iap in every thread of every game.
    This site is TouchArcade, no NotTouchIAPArcade and in my young time if you want play an Arcade you have to pay 200 italian Lire for everygame.

6. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Great game so far. I think my son will want Grawl (the rock hero). Did anyone play with him?

7. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Not sure if this has been asked before but is it the same length as the first one? Longer, Shorter?

8. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I just wish it had iCloud. And then my HD version would work on my 5 and iPad 4.

9. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    To me the IAP are the least of my problems. I really enjoyed the first game on my phone.

My problem is the fact that it is not universal. This is where they are being more then a little greedy. Or am I mistaken? Why is it not universal?

10. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    I'll pick this up, but if my past history is any indication it will drop in $$$$ in less than a month.

11. Fleabag323

Dec 19, 2008
    The first wasn't universal either...
    Not sure what their reasoning is, but considering how much larger the iPad file size is, they may have not wanted people to have tons of extra files taking up space if they were only playing on iPhone. Apple should really provide the ability to upload device-specific binaries as a universal app...

12. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    why 5 dollars for the ipad version? the game is more of the same. which isnt bad but why is the sequal so much more?

also seems like people are dissapointed with the game.

13. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Spot on!! Great game, but madness when the heroes cost more than the entire game!

14. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I don't even mind paying twice for the different version, but i think the Hero IAPs is a legit complaint.

15. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    If you insist on making two versions of the game, at least make the HD version universal.

16. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    ^This... A lot of games has an iPhone version witch is cheaper and lighter and the iPad version witch is more expensive, heavier because of the bigger resolution and universal... I think this is more fair than the two separate versions (it's all about money imo).
    Anyway the game rocks as the first one... The past couple weeks are glorious for strategy fans!

17. rigvader

rigvader New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Great, now I have the freakin iphone version.. Looks ace on my ipad 4 display.. :-(

18. exash

exash Member

Sep 8, 2011
    love the game, both the first and the frontiers.
    Bought IAP heroes in the first one even though I stuck with one particular hero most of the time.

Now, I don't mind the two separate versions and the IAP heroes, but I think they are overpriced for sure. When I heard there were IAPs, I was like, 'okay that's fine. I'll prob buy them all'. I know these heroes aren't hats so they need their animations, balancing, and a lot work to produce one, but 2.99 to 6.99 ?

I don't mind spending money on IAPs if I love the game and want the heroes for complete experience/collection value (who wouldn't want to try out the cool dragon!), but the price point has me frowning and is making me not tap on "Get it now" button, hoping for a heroes sale in the future.

If Ironhide/Armor games is smart about this they could have priced the heroes lower (I wouldn't mind buying them $2 a piece) or even a Season Pass which consoles are doing now for fighting games (Injustice), so that they may continue cranking out heroes in the future, with fans like me buying them as they come out. For now it's just making many of the fans shrug and go back to the default three heroes.

19. Fleabag323

Dec 19, 2008
    The problem with iPhone only and iPhone + iPad versions is that it messes up charting. The iPhone version might get something like half sales on each, making it get a lower position on the charts, and the iPad version wouldn't get as high if everyone's buying it from their computer or phone (in that case it counts for iPhone sales on the charts). Apple really needs to fix it on their end to provide an ideal solution. Developers should really be able to sell different versions for retina/nonretina iPhone and retina/nonretina iPad if they want to without people having to pay twice.

20. Pandabunny

Pandabunny Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Have I missed something? Did some great td game come out in the past couple of weeks, or what games are you talking about? :)