Universal Kinetic Damage (by Benjamin Marchand)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Jun 5, 2013.

1. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Voted. This man deserves major recognition. Good Luck!

2. Buck bottleneck

Buck bottleneck Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    Thx for the votes

3. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you guys for your appstore reviews, and support in the TA game of the week :) Makes me want to deliver more and more quality !

By the way, I will work on adding iCade support directly in the Training patch.

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Quick question dev,
    When shoul we expect the update?

5. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    2 weeks I guess, with Apple validation time. Training will be finished this week, but I don't know how complex iCade is to support.

6. tunaVille

tunaVille Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Brand new to TA first post. This Fighter looks outstanding. I seem to have problems with "touch" directionals, ie. sonic cd. I seem to miss the real feel. New to the itouch also, could this get better with practice. I would love to get into a reAL good fighter on this itouch. Ps. I'm loving this TA app big time. Thanks

7. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    A) Welcome to TA.
    B) This is an awesome fighter I reccomend. Just read the help.

8. tunaVille

tunaVille Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Ok thanks for the reply boss

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    No prob.
    Its really fun.
    Training will make things easier.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
  11. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    That does look cool. :) I have an iCade Core, and it works really well. Sometimes these bluetooth controllers have different button layouts (even the iCade 8-bitty's layout is totally different than the iCade Core). Still, it looks like a nice controller and would definitely be more portable than the Core. :)

12. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Hoping with the support KD gets much more buyers.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: You give us iCade support, I give you my $$$. Deal!

14. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    The touch controls are good. :D There's no quarter circles, or other tricky inputs (like shoryukens). I agree iCade would be awesome, but the standard touch controls work really well (even on the iPhone).

15. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    But to play devil's advocate, the multitouch controls for the supers and tapping the opponents life meter to throw them, while good implementations of touch control for a fighting game, are QUITE unintuitive, especially for those used to playing fighting games on gamepads, which I'm assuming is a large part of this game's target audience.

16. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I agree with you about the throws. I'm actually not sure if I'm supposed to tap my life meter or theirs to counter. Mapping throw to a button would be much more intuitive.

I like the specials, but I can understand your viewpoint. It's kind of like Mortal Kombat (tapping) vs. Street Fighter (rolling). When tapping the d-pad it's pretty easy to tap the special button.

If could see KD really working well with a PS3 controller. L1 could be special and R1 could be throw. That would be almost as cool as a 6 button iCade layout :cool:

17. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    I hope so....

18. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    I think it´s a question of habit . Now i'm used to the touch controls . :)

19. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Is the iCade support going to require 6 buttons?

20. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #160 KineticDamage, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    Hi guys !

Some news about controls : in the next update, I will implement support for both iCade and iControlPad.
    So you got the choice ;)

But yeah, like m44 kindly explained, Kinetic Damage is not like every other fighting game with D-pad based special inputs. You're simply "unlocking" 4 specials buttons by pressing the S button, which is imo much more simpler in the case of touch games. One S button hold gives you instant access to 4 different specials, making them all clearly visible rather than some other schemes where you have to guess what special will come out by pressing direction + S.

At first sight, one might think it feels unintuitive because we have been used to D-pad special inputs for litterally two decades now, but in reality I find it more intuitive with touch controls to perform a special only by pressing a button than to "unlock" it via a complex D-pad sequence. (coming from a guy who doesn't have any problem to perform Hayabusa's Izuna Drop, lol). I own a MadCatz Arcade stick TE for console, absolutely *love* it, and really can't play any fighting game without it, but it's for consoles. It's just a different department of gameplay. Touch devices on the other hand unlock whole new grounds of control possibilities. It's just not the same type of controls, and therefore in my humble opinion should not try to search for the same "feeling".

Anyway, you'll all have iCade / iControlPad support quite soon ;)