Universal Kinetic Damage (by Benjamin Marchand)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Jun 5, 2013.

1. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ah, sorry Odion, I meant "no full AI" ;)
    There will be an opponent of course, but with limited actions, like the ones you mentionned ;)

I read carefully your request, it's nicely formatted, that's great thanks.
    About energy though : Unlike in other games, energy is not just a bar that unlocks a super move. Here, it has many intrications in the whole gameplay. So making it infinite would create another game that has nothing to do with how KD is balanced, defeating the purpose of training.

About recording : it's very useful yes, and a great idea. But such a feature is not simple to implement, and I wanted to deliver the training mode for next week. Putting a proper recording feature would need more time though. So I may be shipping a first Training mode without recording at first, and push the recording feature later.

2. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #82 odi0n, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    Your welcome.

I really want you (us) to succeed and hopefully nourish the birth of a new franchise.

Ah, I now understand regarding the "unlimited energy" for training. Understood.
    I look forward to the practice mode. I can practice how to stop jumping when I'm simply trying to dash or walk. Lol.

I also look forward to the implementations you will add into training mode down the road. Here's crossing my fingers you sell a million copies and then hired help can grant us expediency on community requests you agree with.

Regarding AI recording - add to that, the fact of how deep, Kinetic Damage layers can go... Well, just be prepared for the can of worms you will open when hardcore FGC start flocking towards your game out of the woodworks. Excellent, amazing requests will start flying at you from all angles.

3. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    If you find the D-Pad too small, you can check if your HUD size is not set to 50% in Options Menu during a fight. I set it by default to 50% for tablets, 100% for phones. But there seems to be some problems with the registered screen resolution returned by iOS for Jailbroken devices (I'm using it to determine the amplitude of the "curtain" transition, and for default HUD size).

I hope too :) There are many things that could be done if I had more resources.

4. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes, because it doesn't matter that Street Fighter had that three years ago.

XD It's looking pretty good so far! Looking forward to training room, and decking out combos.

5. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I don't know if your praising me or baiting me.

But no, Street Fighter did not/does not -- have a "recording AI" feature available for any of they're mobile Street Fighter games on ios.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, to my knowledge they do not.

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    How exactly do you pull off Jeet Kun Do's first special?
    It still eludes me.

7. Buck bottleneck

Buck bottleneck Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    It would be interesting to see which style of combat is the most played.
    For me ninjutsu is above all.
    Ben, i think a section with stats from the players would be Nice in the multi version.

8. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #88 KineticDamage, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    You mean "Velocity" ?
    Each time you land a strike, during the impact, you just hold the Velocity button. Then you will gain +30% speed on your next strike launch. If you hold long enough, this powerup stacks up to 3 times (= 3 strikes), the longer you hold.

Basically, it's like when Bruce Lee was charging his strikes, shaking his limbs after landing a brutal shot :)

In game mechanics words, that means :
    - the longer you take the risk to be countered by your opponent after a successful strike, the more powerups you will get.
    - if you chain several strikes followed by Velocity, you fighter will be faster and faster, like a raging "Little Dragon" ;)

*bam* charging ... *BAM* charging .... *BLAM* charging ....

What hardcore players could like with this special is to calculate the perfect holding time for each strike to charge, so they can create a reckless rain of fire onto their target.

If you want a more detailed explanation about specials and combos, you can check the Career mode -> Shop -> Specials. Just click on one, and a step by step tutorial will be played.

Great idea ! Added on todo list.
    Also Ninjutsu is definitely strong because of its superior speed (just like any lightning fast character in any game actually), which is why I counter balanced with a very low health and endurance (endurance = resistance to being stunned).

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I use Jeet Kun Do.
    It is pretty good damage and good speed.
    But a little frail against Muay Thai.
    Thanks dev for the advice.

10. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #90 KineticDamage, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Muay Thai is goddamn smashing faces, sure. It is slow, but if it hits, you can have a node being completely destroyed in one action chain.

If you're JKD, you could use "Backdraft" special. It's a counter. Quite pricey in term of energy (50 + 50 per second), but not only does it counter incoming strike if timed well, it also adds +30% of intercepted damage to your next strike.

With this special, I wanted to respect Bruce Lee's "If you become the water" famous guideline. So against Muay Thai, that punchline shines really bright.
    In the end, players who will master Jeet Kun Do in Kinetic Damage will look like a mix of quick & furious punches, rushing kicks, and sudden interceptions followed by retaliation, all while striking faster and faster as self-confidence grows up. I hope this gameplay combination triggers some Bruce Lee memories in gamers mind.

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I was thinking Jet Li.
    Oops.

12. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Jet Li is more a Shaolin Kung Fu style. More precisely, Wing Chun ;)

13. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    That´s why i use implants ^^ :p

14. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Hehe, smart decision :D

15. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I am going to focus on combos the go on about to specials then going to an implant.

16. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    I think implants are really important , especially with ninjutsu. I use one or two specials in a round at max but 5 or 6 combos at least.

17. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    What about more moves for each art? You know, pressing forward + hard kick = overhead kick.

What do you mean with "recording AI"? In Volt and SFxTK (and probably also in the first SF IV app) you can record some moves, and the AI will perform them.

18. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Hey Varo you wanna be the first guy to go up against me when MP comes out?

19. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Sure, just prepare to be defeated :cool:

20. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Yeah right. Bring it buddy.