Universal Kinetic Damage (by Benjamin Marchand)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Jun 5, 2013.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Appreciation: it is great the developer is taking time to make a LITE version.

Query: Any plan for iCade support?

2. Buck bottleneck

Buck bottleneck Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    Yeah it needs:)

3. Buck bottleneck

Buck bottleneck Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    i think it depends of the KD's sales.....

4. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #64 KineticDamage, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    @Poppichicken : thank you for your great words, really :)

About iCade support : I hear the call guys. I'll look into it. But I can't promise a quick support release, because it would mean rethinking some controls litterally. But, ok, I hear ya, and I put it in my todo list ;)

5. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    This AI seems to be getting tougher each match.
    I needa pratice a bit more.

6. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #66 KineticDamage, Jun 6, 2013
    The AI depends on 3 stats :
    Aggressivity, Reactivity, and Analysis. Each AI starts from a static pool of 6 to 25 personality points (Beginner to Legend), which are distributed via 3 dice rolls over the stats.

So you will have very different behaviours over several CPU fighters from the same difficulty levels, and even from the same Martial Art.

Cherry on the cake : During the fight, AIs will be able to redistribute a portion of their points pool over one of the 3 stats, depending on how you're playing, and on their initial "mind" type.

Add to that :
    - 20+ different AI base strategies (strike, combo, retreat, bait for mistake, create distance, etc, etc), plus each Martial Art special.
    - 25+ different AI "adaptation algorithms" (aka. "what is my human opponent doing, what should I change in my strategy ?")

Put it shortly, that means 4000 to 16000 nuances of AI, depending on difficulty level.

This video explains the design pattern, with subtitles (make sure to enable them, as some subs are additional from the voiceover -> CC button in the video bar) :

7. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    #67 saansilt, Jun 6, 2013
    No two fights are ever the same then.
    Uh huh.
    This game just got boosted in replayability.
    Also dev, will you add masks to customization?
    And hows it going fixing the low end slowdown?
    Edit: Its now got a game of the week nomination.

8. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Sorry if I can't answer all messages, I'm trying to do my best.
    @Saan : there are already helmets, when you get the Torso special outfit :)

Also, added to the Todo list : a training mode (with no AI).

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Ok thanks dev.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey, I am totally loving this game! I have it on my iPhone 3gs to play on the go, and my recently purchased iPad Mini to play at home with better visuals and smoother gameplay.

I have a question, though. Why don't the prebuilt fighters in Match mode have all four of their specials? Also, which combos do they have? Thanks!

11. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi MrMojo, great to know it runs fine on 3GS, and on iPad Mini !

Excellent question :)
    I didn't include all the specials and combos for prebuilt, simply so that creating your own char and making him/her evolve in Career mode does make sense :)
    And also to make players be proud to bring their own fighter in upcoming Multiplayer.

Prebuilt do have 2 random specials, and the 3 first combos (they can be viewed in the pause menu during a match, in the Move List).

12. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ah, very cool. So every time you play as or against a random fighter in Match mode it gives them two random specials? Also, their appearance is random, right? I really love that!

13. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Absolutely, it is random :)

14. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I was thinking about the MP support...
    What would be the difference between Player 1 and Player 2 characters if both use the same art? With both characters fully upgraded from the actual version, there wouldn't be any difference.
    You were talking about adding deeper mechanics in upcoming updates. Would those mechanics fix that little problem?

15. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #75 KineticDamage, Jun 6, 2013
    Precisely :)
    Basically I want to add specialization choices, inspired by the skill trees you can find in MMO, if you can picture the design reference.
    In a more general direction, I want to expand on the "need to fight". It's .... quite hard to explain ... but I want to find a mechanics design that will make you want to fight over and over, just for the pleasure of toying with the gameplay. Building your realtime strategy, moves, actions, mechanics, etc. Like "if I'm doing move X at N time, this will give to move Y a faster speed / or crit / etc". Things like that. So that hardcore players will not feel limited when they mastered basics.
    Put it shortly I want to add several layers of possible mechanics. The simple one (punch, kick, combos), the deeper one (stance, specials, debuffs), and the complex one (like mentionned above). So every type of player will find a way to feed his kind of complexity.

16. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Anybody using the "break" technique? I'm curious about what attacks you're using as anti-airs?

17. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Heavy kick reaches pretty high.

18. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    YES! This guy knows wut he's doing!

19. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    True, there's a lot of start-up with the break style heavy kick. I've been using Heavy Punch, and crouching heavy punch (uppercut) to aa. I think I may just need to time it better. The break technique is really great, it's just hard when the AI get's a little "jumpy" :)

20. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #80 odi0n, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    First, thanks for adding icade support to your todo list. Honestly I've been playing less KD due to me and virtual controls just not vibing. When I want to dash/walk back my character jumps instead and same for opposite - forward. I ended up going back to my streetfighter volt and soul calibur so I can use my icade core since capcom & namco don't support I had to use jailbroke blutrol app that makes them compatible with the icade. Anyways, moving along...

Regarding your statement I quoted above - that's scary, if I am registering what you are saying correctly. If when you say no AI, you mean no practice AI dummy in the arena just you by yourself... *yikes* then the training room won't be of much help and will diminish the extent of knowledge you can gain by having a "AI dummy" present which you can assign orders to.

I'll just copy & paste what I put up in page 2 with *Major* editing so I can punctuate in greater impact what I feel and have gathered from tournament level players: Reo, Tom Brady, Perfect Legend, Filipino Champ, Chris G... Etc. One of the main reasons Injustice is doing so well and grew a nice community around it. NetherRealm Studios was smart enough to hire tournament players to help them with many things but one of the HUGE improvements that came from this collaboration was the training lab.

I'll present many of its ideas here. Ben, If you haven't played Injustice Gods Among Us I suggest you rent it and just play around with the training room and its options. it will only be natural you will agree with most if not all of the tenements it has in place. Being a Martial Artist yourself, I know you would appreciate a true training grounds with many options available in the form of tools to help fighters enhance they're fighting knowledge. Anyways, here goes my heavily edited copy & pasted post:

THE BENEFITS OF HAVING A - AI DUMMY:

BLOCKING:Say for example you are not doing so well against opponents with good defense. Naturally you would want to train in this area. So you order the AI dummy to:
    Stand Block
    Crouching Block
    "Or" just dont block

Say you didn't want the AI dummy to block all the time, Let's pretend you are practicing a combo string against it - and you are working on the flow and consistency of your string. But you needed some kind of "hit confirmation marker" to let you know they are connecting back to back. In this case you would order the AI dummy to block *automatically* which means it would only block when one of your actions within your combo string did not come out in time, thus breaking the flow of the string. This would help master your string timing and execution the right way.

The block example above is situational, therefore representing that there should be intermittent block options rather than the simple, "block, don't block" More granular options: Like: Block At all times, Block randomly, and like the example above, Block automatically. These *granular options* should also be spread to all the other forms of practice as well. Fighting games are situational and dynamic - we should have enough tools/options within the AI dummy to help replicate these conditions/scenarios and help us how to better understand and overcome them. Not only will this make us better fighters, it will also elevate the meta for those that invest time in training.

TRAINING WITH WAKE UPS:
    Say you wanted to train against certain wake up moves or a specific wake move you have no answer to or maybe the online meta has favored this specific wake up move you have no answers to... well, you can order your dummy AI to:
    Do a wake up when knocked down
    Don't do a wake up when knocked down
    "Or" using the *granular options* example I touched on above in the block section: you can even choose which specific wake up move you want practice against by choosing it from it's moves list

UNLIMITED HEALTH & ENERGY:
    Give us the option to set unlimited health so we can keep the study session going.

Give us the option to set unlimited energy so we can keep practicing a specific combo sequence over & over without being interrupted via energy depletion.

RECORDING THE AI DUMMY WITH ORDERS:
    What do I mean by this? Let me walk you through it: Give us a option that would say "record AI" once I activate it, I would assume control of the AI dummy and input a specific move or combo chain while controlling it. Once I am done - I can set it on a loop so the AI keeps doing the same move I recorded it doing - over and over, thus, I can practice developing counters against said move. This is/would be the best practice tool. This is how you can replicate certain conditions/scenarios. Say you came across a specific combo or pressure tactic online and it totally demolishes you, worst - you have no answers! You can replicate with the AI record tool and there you can practice against it and be prepared for the next encounter of the said string/pressure.

END NOTE:
    These are just a few of the many reasons why a AI dummy is needed. Not only will such a tool advance the community knowledge as a whole but evolve the many martial art play-styles you imprinted into the game. Kinetic Damage maybe casual friendly, but truly, its soul lies in practicing/training with all the nuances you've put in place for complexity, tactful, and methodical players - which is effn great, now please give us the tools to expand on them :) (Of course, once your time permits)