Universal Kinetic Damage (by Benjamin Marchand)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Jun 5, 2013.

1. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Lite version is out !

2. EtherNohow

EtherNohow Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Does anybody have any tips or a beginner's guide for a noob? I'm having trouble understanding the game, and also executing the combos. Thanks!

3. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Okay.

XD I don't really know what to say.

I'm playing on my iPod 4th gen and it's lagging really hard.

Then I can't find a training dummy to just chill and practice.

And no screen rotation.

The stages look really good though.

4. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi Ether,
    There is an ingame manual, available at any time : in the title screen -> how to play, and during fights -> Fight Rules / Move List

There is also a detailed explanation for each special / combo in the Shop (Career -> Dojo -> Shop).

For combos, you simply have to time your button push at the time where a strike hits.
    If you want to train, you can launch a Sparring match in the Dojo. Beginner level will let you experiment a lot of things without punishing you too much.

5. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    It's strange, I got another user who told me the same. But on 3GS it's running at 30fps. Did you try with lowest visual detail settings in the main menu Options ? And turned off Post Processing effects ?

I'll implement that in a bugfix update this week.

6. User58394

Oct 23, 2011
    Nice! I'll try the options!

And btw, will there ever be a training dummy to just mess around with, and practice combos, without getting struck back?

7. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    It also lags on iphone 4. Just a smidge on lowest detail level.
    Also: Glicth, checking the outfit shop, I preveiwed the jeet kun do body.
    And now every match from then on, My guy has a mask colored blue and yellow, my fighters colors. I am not really complaining as it looks cool, just pointing it out.

8. User58394

Oct 23, 2011
    Nice, it's playable now.

Like Saansilt said, yeah it's only a smidge laggy on lowest detail settings.

9. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I'll buy full version if/when you'll add iCade support, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Any plan to do it?

10. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I also had that bug. And I don't know if this is another one or intended, but I can't "buy" clothes. I mean, if I change the shirt and I want to go back to the previous shirt, I have to buy it again.

11. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #51 KineticDamage, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    I'm sorry about that though, as I really worked a lot on making it smooth on lower hardware ... The technical explanation is that 4th gen has the hardware of 3GS, but twice the resolution. I'll try to see if there's a way to lower resolution. If there is, I will put an option in the Options Menu.

Ah, that's weird ! It should display properly if you "reset" your fighter cache though, by taking another char (prebuilt in quick match for example).
    Thanks for bringing this out Saan. This is pushed in this week bugfix update.

12. User58394

Oct 23, 2011
    Thanks!

13. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Quick question: Do jump attacks always damage the head? If I jump in and throw the kick late will it damage the torso?

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I've just tried the lite version and to be honest I was expecting more of a physics feel to the fighting, to the point where the part or limb your hitting moved from the impact, (like hitting a physics based ragdoll effect)
    Still like the game though just not what I was expecting from the title kinetic damage.
    It's pretty unbelievable that it was made by one guy though :eek: that's some task.

15. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    No prob dev.
    Thanks for hearing us out.
    I think the mask glitch looks cool. Oh well, maybe you could add it as a cosmetic option?

16. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #56 KineticDamage, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    And.. excellent question :)
    Yes, in order to give players a reliable way to chose the nodes they wanted to strike, I confined kicks to head, punches to arms / torso, and crouch kicks to legs.

But you bring a great idea here, as jump strikes are less easy to aim than stand / crouch. Plus waiting for the good time to trigger a jump strike to legs would be more risky than just aiming at head, so more rewarding (legs = speed debuff for perfect strikes, which is quite powerful).

I'm adding this idea to the todo list. Thank you for your feedback m44.

The physics applying to limb being hit was a part of the design process (it was actually the first thing that came to my mind when designing limb health nodes), but after thoughts, it would have made fights not precise enough, as player would have lost control for too much random times on their char (stuns would have been decided by physics).

So I ended with manually animating each side impact (left, right, up, down, etc), to have better control on its triggering.

17. metalmandave83

metalmandave83 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    After watching the video.. I'm blown away by how much effort the dev(s) put into this. Wow...

18. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    No problem. :)

I spent several hours playing KD today, and I'm really blown away with the game. There's so many fresh ideas here. I really like the life bars and health system. I'm still getting the hang of the specials, but the combo system (and controls in general) work really well. I like several of the fighting styles, and they seem to be balanced.

Could auto-pause during phone calls be added in an update? It's really not a big deal, I just hung up the phone and was like "oh crap" :D .

Either way, great game. Highly recommended.

19. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    #59 saansilt, Jun 6, 2013
    This was so worth the wait.
    Its also challenging.
    I can honestly say I've been *this* close to winning against legend level opponents two times. They are beatable. But its a fight man. Still, this games alot more fair than MK.
    The slowdown is the only real issuse I have.
    The mask glitch> odd, but one of those cool little things that I like.
    Jeet Kun Do
    Two Combos working to three.

20. poppichicken

poppichicken Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    #60 poppichicken, Jun 6, 2013
    I've followed the development of this game for a long, long time.
    After raising my hopes up so high for so long... I have nothing but praise.

It is absolutely amazing - a superhuman effort of game development.
    Benjamin, you should be so very proud of yourself. Big high-five, seriously.

There are a number of other fighting games on my iphone that have been gathering dust, so to speak. I've always wanted to return to them some day. But not any more.

I've deleted Soul Calibur (great game but doesn't control so well on a touch screen), Marvel vs Capcom 2, SF4 Volt, KOF-i and Mortal Kombat.

I don't need them anymore, because Kinetic Damage is finally here, and it's better than all of 'em, quite frankly.

TA - Kinetic Damage needs to be front-paged pronto.
    This game deserves to be a huge hit.