Universal Kinetic Damage (by Benjamin Marchand)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Jun 5, 2013.

1. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #541 KineticDamage, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    1.5.3 has landed in the store btw. It has an improved camera, and minor Training bugfixes (+ antialiasing for lower res devices). Next step should be 1.6, adding multiplayer.

2. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Thank you, I'll try that! I took a look at the options but missed that.

3. How's the icade in this game?

4. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    NIiiiiiiice...

5. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi Connector, Currymutton did answer on page 50 :)

Btw I remapped the default buttons to a better pattern.

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Can we get an option to adjust button position on the screen ala UMK3?
    Also, AI exploit: Diagnol back jump and heavy kick.
    The ai just keeps moving foward right into your kick. It doesn't know what to do.

7. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi Saan,
    Ok, I'll work on button position. It's been requested a few pages ago by Varo too. The back jump kick surprises me, though, I'll look into that, thanks mate.

8. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Did anyone notice how the size is 666 MB? :eek:

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    The final boss in multiplayer is "him".
    Quake in fear mortal.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Apart from the drastic lag spikes on my iPhone 4 (hopefully resolved shortly ater September 10 :) ), about the only pressing problem I have with this otherwise iOS favourite of mine is the AI.

I have yet to put my fighting-gloved finger on it, but it seems at times rubberband-y, inconsequential, mano-depressively randomly berserk, too consistent and mechanical, and sometimes just all out chaotic. This applies primarily to the skill of the AI (I can defeat four advanced opponents of a certain style with easy, then get stomped by a beginner or intermediate AI with the same fighting style repeatedly), but also occasionally to its behavioural patterns.

Is this all in my too-oft kicked-around head?

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Turn the visual detail to its lowest setting.
    That helped me alot.
    With post processing off.

12. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    The game has given a nemesis!
    Occasionally a muay thai fighter, female with green cobra hair challenges me.
    She is the main recurring fighter. The other is a thai chi guy.

13. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #553 KineticDamage, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    Hi guys, sorry for the absence last days, but was my yearly week off.

Hi Ayjona, and welcome to the world of Kinetic Damage :)

Technically, the AI is not linear. As explained in this video, it is based around 3 very different principles (aggressivity, reactivity, analysis). Each CPU fighter you're facing off will have a certain number of Stat Points shared between the 3 axis, and the higher the difficulty, the more they'll have points.

During fight, each AI decision is taken upon the number of points it has in one of the 3 caracteristics. That means in your case, you may have fought a totally unbalanced fighter in one of the caracteristics. For example, an advanced AI fighter has 8 points to share between the 3 axis, but if he has 6 points over 10 in Aggressivity, he will be very aggressive.

Thing is, this point distribution works the same as in real life : if a fighter is over aggressive, he will be super weak in the defense department (unless he is higher grade). So if you feel some inconsistency in an AI "mindset", you should use it at your advantage : over aggressive ? -> try to counter. Over analytic ? (= taking distance, foreseeing your moves too much) -> Try to force him to fight by being aggressive. Over Reactive ? (counters, guard, etc) -> Try to play mindgames (yes, mindgames work against Kinetic Damage AI, the whole code is based around decision / reaction).

As you see in the video, I really designed the AI code to make it the closest possible to a human fighting gamer. So basically, what you're supposed to do against Kinetic Damage's AI is the same as against a human : mindgames, counters, mastering your range, checking your energy management, etc.
    I effectively coded several dozens of AI routines specifically inspired by high level human matches in other fighting games (poking, distance, pressure, baiting, etc). Plus all the specific routines tailored around Kinetic Damage's specials and new mechanics.

I hope I was consistent enough, and wish you lots of fun ;)

14. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    With your main still being Jeet Kun Do ? Your superior speed should give some headache to Muay Thai and Tai Chi ;)

15. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I know, but they have repeatedly shown up challenging me.
    I do beat em, its just the recurrance that makes me brand em as my nemesis'

16. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    So...
    Spinning Carnage, st.LP, st.LK, Machine Gun x3 -> 515 damage.

Found more damaging and cooler combos after Spinning Carnage, but I don't remember them :p

Also, one bug: when the opacity of the controls is set to 0, they don't work. IDK if this is for iCade users, but well.
    And well, I'd like to see the training mode more in the likes of Volt and SFxT, with the training menu in the pause screen, looped recording, a box where the damage of your last hit, the damage of your last and of the most damaging combo, the stun damage of your last and of the most stun damaging combo and the number of hits of your last and of the most damaging combo are displayed. And (at least as an option) faster HP/Stun recovery (maybe instant recovery once a combo ends kinda like in Tekken). Finding combos is right now really tiring, and I know that the game isn't about combos, but if a game has juggle and a training mode then there must be a way to let players find some cool stuff with that juggle.

Finally, IDK if this is too much, but I'd like to see the midair combo count for sweep increased so you can use sweep after second Spinning Carnage. It just doesn't feel right ending a combo with a move with such juggle potential without any further move, kinda like doing two Rising Uppercuts in SFxT without any follow-ups. Well, and of course some combos that start with the crouching attacks. Maybe cr.LK, cr.HK as a faster sweep but that costs energy.

17. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Why does st.HP sometimes deal 67, other times 80 and some others 100? There isn't any critical strike, perfect or anything that makes any different between them.

Also: Spinning Carnage (uncharged), j.HK, cr.HP, cr.MK xx Machine Gun x2. I don't know how many damage it deals but I think it's around 535. A third MG isn't possible.
    Then I was trying something like SC (fully charged), j.HK, j.HK, cr.MK xx MC, but cr.MK somehow doesn't cancel in that combo even while it builds more than 20 energy.

Also, found one bug. IDK how this happened, but if I jump on the right side of the other character, the idle animation after the jump stops and I can't jump again, only walk, crouch or attack. I recorded a video with Display Recorder.
    Insta-edit: OK, I think it happens everytime. I quitted the training session, started again and it still happens. It doesn't happen if I'm the one on the left of the screen.

18. KineticDamage

Jul 27, 2012
    #558 KineticDamage, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Hi Varo, glad to see you finding some new ways to damage, mate :)

Ah, the UI framework I'm using seems to disable touch controls when they're set to zero opacity. Keyboard still works though, so it should work with iCade aswell. Do you think I should enable invisible buttons anyway ? I totally can find a workaround, but I'm not sure it would be useful to enable an invisible touch button ? You tell me.
    edit : After some thoughts, having all invisible buttons disabled gives a performance gain for iCade users, as it doesn't have to check the touch states. So I'll keep it as is :)

This one would be quite some work, but I loved SF training info boxes too. So I'll see what I can do after multiplayer is finished.

Ok, I'll adjust the sweeps ;)

67 is cl.HP, 80 is s.HP, and 100 is cl.HP critical. Close strikes are dealing less damage than stand strikes, because they're faster.

Wow :) you managed to deal a j.HK -> cr.HP during a Spinning Carnage fall ? :eek: Pretty neat.

It's because you need 40 energy to chain cr.LK with MG :)
    (MG = 20 per kick + 20 energy to chain a normal with a special)

I can't reproduce it as is, but I found that in training mode, if you hold a direction and then hit "Record Input" without releasing the dir, it will keep making your fighter go that dir unless you stop recording, and push a different dir. I'm fixiing it right now by nullifying any pressed button whenever you press "Record Input".

Thanks for your feedback Varo !
    Cheers

19. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Well, you could also say that approaching the opponent to get some damage is more risky than playing safe with tools for poking :p

I see. Then after SC there isn't much use for it since it only deals 60 damage and needs more energy. And about SC IMO juggle should end when the guy is on the floor and after using a sweep. Linking 3 sweeps in a row seems strange.

If you want I can upload the video with the bug to YouTube, set it to private and send you the link. I also found a little glitch in the options menu where the sliders don't move.

20. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Hows the milti coming along dev?