Universal Kinetic Damage (by Benjamin Marchand)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Jun 5, 2013.

1. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Well, I didn't use any special yet. As I mentioned earlier, pressing the special button and then a special move is really awkward. By the time I try to perform a special move I'm dead, but the AI just spams them in front of me. I spent all my money on combos and special outfit, but even some combos are kinda useless since most of them start with a kick, and taekwondo's kicks don't hit crouching opponents. So I just spam jabs and crouching hard punches at close range and when poking I use light kick and then aim for the first combo. I didn't find any use for the hard kick. It has the same range of light kick and its startup is way worse and loses to almost anything. After stunning the enemy I try the power combo, but as I said earlier sometimes I just can't do a combo, even with full energy.

2. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Quick thing.

Screen rotation would be nice.

3. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I went through many iterations about this one. My final logic was : in "quarter forward games", you have to let the dir pad go off anyway. Quarter forward specials are not very intuitive for touch controls, so I had to go another route. So I was left with either putting more buttons, and overcrowding the screen, either using a swap system like the current one.

I placed the Special button swapper on the left because if it was on the right, not only you would have to make your left thumb travel to its opposite side of the screen (which would feel even more awkward), but you'll also have less "thumb recovery" time (lol) if you suddenly decided not to perform a special.

I prefered to let the player being focused on his left hand, where guard, avoidance and dashing are living, than on the right, where you can only strike. Putting all the attention to the right when making a special would feel a bit too much imo :)

A special move should be as quick to perform than a direction + strike, technically.

Ok this is effectively not a typical 2D fighter, so I may have to explain the spirit of the game a bit deeper :

Standing strikes are best for playing with distance, just like in real fights. From light punch to strong kicks, they are slower and slower, but better and better range. Standing Strong Kick is the highest damage of all normal strikes, so it had to have a price. Here, the price is to time it well. Or to be chained from a jumping strike.

Crouching strikes are not like other fighting games where it is the safest way to vampirize some safe damage over time. The crouching range is the same as close strikes, and as powerful. Counterpart is that technically, you have to hold the d Pad, making it difficult to chain with a special.
    On the other side, stand strikes are slower, but can be chained very easily with combos or specials.

Put it shortly : I really cared about the benefits / disadvantages as a whole in everything, including in the mix : Controls, energy, chainability, damage, range, and speed.

Combos are very powerful (some being as much as 400 damage non crit). So I didn't want to make it that easy to trigger them. Technically, the combo window opens on hit during 0.25sec.
    I was having a bit of missed out feeling during the first tests, but over time and with practice, I can perfectly chain normals into combos, into specials :)

I guess Kinetic Damage will need a few matches to handle fully, as it's really not following the controls logic of other games (except target combos and guard). But in the end, I can assure I put a lot of work into thinking, iterating, testing and validating the controls feeling as a whole :)

Thank you for your feedback btw, this is interesting to read all of yours, and can only make the game become better in the future.

Don't hesitate to post your feelings about things you liked too ! (so I can know what needs to be expanded)

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Can we have headgear?
    Like masks and hats?
    A half mask option like for the bottom Of the face.
    I know, cosmetic.
    The games takes a little getting used to.
    But I am really enjoying it.
    Thanks Dev.

5. Buck bottleneck

Buck bottleneck Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    Yep in the special store ( dojo section ) :)

6. toby7ten

toby7ten Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    End question. Is it a King of Fighters beater?

7. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    #27 VaroFN, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    Well, without the training mode getting the hang of the controls is really difficult. I won't lose a match just to try the special moves or see how moves can be canceled and such. So far I'm just using basic pressure from basic 2D fighting games and it's enough to beat any begin., interm. and adv. fighter. With the other difficulties I poke and use less pressure "strings", but it still works.
    I'm trying to use special moves in the Match move to avoid losing money, but I still can't. It's nowhere as fast as quarter forward moves, since with quarter forward you're buffering a move, and then you can release the move if you want, but you still have control over the character. By putting the SP button on the left the player can't move the character since he has to lift the finger from the joystick to switch moves. At least that's how I feel.

Apart from things commented earlier I'd also like to see more customization, and well, I think that clothes should be way cheaper.
    What about survival mode? And a boss fight vs the robot from Business Center Ruins.
    EDIT: I'm also experiencing some audio stuttering. Mostly in the shop.

8. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    First career match I didn't even know it was legend difficulty.
    Sparring.
    I won!
    Two rounds to win. Three round fight.

9. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    By the way, the Lite version is currently "In Review", should come to the store shortly, if people want to have a quick view at the game before Full version :)

10. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Awesome news, I will check out the lite first. I am not a huge fighter fan but this looks really good.

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I don't know. Something about the graphics and environment just aren't clicking with me. I'm looking forward to test out the upcoming lite version. Hopefully it'll come sooner than later...

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Been playing this ever since I locked down the upcoming thread, and I still refuse to believe that one person is responsible for all of this. Incredible.

13. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Oh, man! It's out!! Been waiting for this for a long time! Think I just peed in my old man diaper again! :D

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I know, huh? Hey, MC, on a side note, have you heard that cut from the new Sab album? Surprising how those old bastards still kick it, eh? I heard this album is awesome, from a couple of friends in the biz who've heard it in it's entirety! You're gonna DIG it!!!! :D

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I believe the album's still streaming in its entirety over on iTunes. ;) While I'll always be more of a Dio-fronted Sabbath fan, I have to say I listened to 13 with absolutely no expectations and have been pretty floored by it. "Age of Reason" alone...bloody hell...that riff man, that riff! The album's much better than I would've imagined and I'll definitely be picking it up once it's out (or I cave and pre-order it in the next couple of days. :p)

Oh look, I'm derailing stuff! Sorry guys! *shuts up*

So, that Kinetic Damage...pretty awesome stuff, eh? :)

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    In between this, 9th Dawn, Kingdom Rush Frontiers and Cubemen 2, this is becoming a kinda bizarre week. As in, awesomely bizarre. Survivalcraft, Combo Crew and Warhammer Quest are already feeling the sudden neglect, FFT might NOT get the attention the new patch deserves, and all other games on my device are quaking in fear of deletion.

That said, of all recently acquired and soon to be purchased titles, Kinetic Damage is the one I've been looking forward to the most, and will probably spend the most time on. Between it and the beta for Ravenmark: Mercenaries, I am all but ready ready to give up on desktop gaming...

17. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Bomb Shots events at legend are the best to grind fast.

18. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    The dev has worked on it like any one would have. So i hope KD Will be a huge success !
    He really deserves it

19. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I have been playing this for the last hour or two, and I'm really getting into it. I think I'm going to stick with the Muay Thai style for now. I can't wait to buy a partner and try out coaching. :D

20. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    You can win your partner in the olympic resort section:)