iPad Killer Pool

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by norsten, Dec 4, 2008.

1. norsten

norsten Member

Dec 4, 2008
    A new pool game has come out "Killer Pool" -It looks awesome and plays very well -and its available on the AppStore now (http://www.ikillerpool.com/).

2. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I like the clean, vivid, and clear graphics it has. And I don't mind the blank backgrounds, no need of that. Though, I need to see a video of it in motion to really consider it since I already have Virtual Pool.

One thing that bugs be is the Killer Pool logo on the tables, kind of busy, but mostly looks low-res compared to the rest of the graphics. It might not be bad viewing on a small iPhone compared to those large screens on a PC.

3. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #3 istopmotion, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. #4 wastedyuthe, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    It is already available in the app store here. In the UK it is £1.79.

I decided to take a risk and buy it as there are already a couple of good reviews in iTunes.

It has a nice style with the menu and buttons, and the physics work well enough. Here are the pro's and cons from my short play-

Pros-
    Easy UI. Buttons are all clearly laid out.
    Drag/swipe to shoot (unlike WCP).
    Pinch to zoom in/out, drag to aim just like VP.
    Play in landscape or portrait.
    Realistic ball physics to rival VP.
    Unlike VP, cue cannot play through cushions and other balls (automatically raises above them).
    Aim aid can be turned off (unlike WCP).

Cons-
    You have to type in your name every time you play a new game.
    Long load time to get to the game proper from the menu.
    Graphics are too bright- shadows need to be darker to be more realistic.
    Audio doesn't seem very loud.
    No way to turn off logo on the table.
    When it's a players turn (you, another human player, or the computer player) you have to click an OK button to confirm, which gets a little tedious.
    Like VP, the balls simply disappear when close to the pocket instead of actually dropping down them.
    You drag a bar at the side to shoot, not the cue itself as in VP (dragging the cue itself makes it feel more lifelike imo).

So, so far (not counting WCP- I haven't got that one as I don't like the fact you can't turn the aid off and you can't drag to shoot) this is the closest contender to VP's crown. However, there are too many negatives to say that is surpasses VP as the best Pool app (although VP isn't perfect as we all know).

5. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Why do developers try to be unique or different when it comes to some features like shooting in pool. VP came out first, the control was perfect, and every game since decided that they have a better way to do it. Guess what, they don't. It's like the golf club swing in tiger woods games, they nailed the control. There is no shame in duplicating a control system that is so close to being perfect. Tweak it, add some subtle differences, but don't try and reinvent the wheel.

/rant

6. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    So many pool games lately! I like WPC a lot and hope the developer just tweaks it a little. However, the first pool game to feature online play is going to be the one to own.

7. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    í decided to buy killer pool and now, after playing a bit, i don't like it.
    the graphics are a bit lacking and i miss a background somehow, even if its certainly no necessity.
    the controls are a bit unpolished. after shooting you have to wildly zoom and rotate to see whats going on. i would prefer if the game would switch to a different view automatically there.

physics look alright and you can apply spin as you like.

i would say vp definitely stays on the top of the list and on the second place comes wcp 2009 closely followed by killer pool.

8. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #8 salsamd, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008

Adrenaline Pool already has online multiplay, but I don't think members of forum regard it as highly as Virtual Pool, Midnight Pool, World Championship Pool, and perhaps even now Killer Pool.

9. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Looks neato, but theres just too many pool games out currently :p

10. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
  11. #11 wastedyuthe, Dec 5, 2008
    Here's a YouTube vid someone uploaded-

I have noticed this guy dragging down then letting go to shoot, rather than dragging back up (which is how I have been playing). I didn't know you could just let go.
    People have complained that you just let go in this way in WCP. Can you drag back up in that game if you want to, just like with this one?

12. nickels

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    No, that cancels your shot. You have to pull back and let go to shoot in WCP09.

13. That's a shame. Thanks.

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #14 salsamd, Dec 5, 2008
    For your comparison

Killer Pool

15. nickels

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    That World Championship Pool 2009 video is for other mobiles, that is not the iPhone version.
    It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

16. Your vid of WCP looks nothing like the one for the iPhone/Touch.

17. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    A better screenshot here:

[​IMG]

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Pool Rebel also seems nice for those who really wants to fine tune their shots.

19. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I've purchased this title too. Well it has nice graphics and they improved the aiming system in the last update but the balls are still too small and the physic engine doesn't seem right (balls roll and roll and roll...).

In addition, it's just a top view pool rather than a 3D one.

20. redgaz26

redgaz26 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008

I really do not like the top view games at all, VP is excellent and only 59p now, well worth it!!