iPad Killer Pool price drop to $0.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sauce Digital, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    #1 Sauce Digital, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    Hi all,

Just a quick post to announce that Killer Pool will be on sale for two weeks at $0.99*

Killer Pool features; 8 Ball, 9 Ball, UK Black Ball (Eight Ball), Killer and OctoKiller,

We bill Killer Pool as the most realistic pool experience on the iPhone - but don't just take our word for it - here are what others say:

"one of the best games on the iPhone. 5/5 + Editors's Choice Award." Macworld.co.uk
    "particularly impressive and realistic" toucharcade.com
    "After looking at plenty of other pool applications, I will say this is my personal favorite. 4/5" appVee.com
    "If you’re looking for a great pool experience, go with Killer Pool. 8/10" appcraver.com
    "the best pool physics i've seen" iPhones.ru
    "a great choice for your iPhone. 4/5 " appletell.com
    "Killer Pool is not only one of the best pool games available on the App Store, it is also one of the best iPhone games that I have played." iPhoneHacks.com

http://www.ikillerpool.com

App Store:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298835725

hope you enjoy it.

cheers

Morgan

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Which is the best pool game now?
    Is it Virtual Pool, World Championship Pool or this one?

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Anyone who owns this game and can chime in? :D

VERY tempted as I want a good pool game!

4. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008

Gameplay video sold me on this purchasing now :D

5. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    My problem with it was that the balls loose speed unnaturally but otherwise I liked it.

6. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    quick question which is the normal pool? the one where player one hits the stripes and player two hits full color and whoever finishes first wins.
    what game is that?

7. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    thats eightball pool.
    the first player to pocket any ball type will have to pocket the rest of those, and the other player the opposite. then whoever pockets all of their ball types first has to pocket the 8ball for win

8. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    thanks!!!:D

9. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

#9 schplurg, Mar 8, 2009
    I just played the lite version. here is a quick review.

First of all, I am an advanced pool shooter in real life, so I am looking at realism and am analyzing everything. The first thing I noticed is the ball slow-down speed. As others have said, it is not entirely realistic. Not only does it slow down too fast (too little friction), it slows down in strange "increments" as it approaches a stop. Lagging for break is totally unrealistic.

The physics are NOT entirely real. A huge problem is that you cannot "throw" a ball. To throw, in pool, is to put left or right English (spin) on the cue ball which in turn causes the object (target) ball to spin the opposite direction and to shoot off at a left or right angle when it is struck.

Example, if you aim straight dead-on at a ball and hit the cue with a lot of left spin, the object ball should move (be thrown) a bit to the right, rather than going straight ahead. In addition, when the object ball hits a cushion it should spin off dramatically in that direction as well.

Niether of these happen though in Killer Pool. This, in my opinion, is a big letdown, as Virtual Pool does incorporate "throw" into its physics. Adjustable table friction seems like a must-have in this game, although the quick slow-downs probably speed up the game a little.

I do like the pinch to zoom feature.

The graphics are average in quality. Tables are plain and the felt is basically non-textured looking. No background scenery. Not the end of the world, but backgrounds are a nice touch.

I'm playing as I write this. The friction is definitely a problem. It is waaay too slow. Hit a really hard lag shot and see what I mean. A ball should bounce across the length of the table several times.

In the Killer Pool description they claim to have realistic pocket sizes, however this does not appear to be the case. They are big, especially for the size of the table. Big tables usually have smaller pockets.

For realistic pool, Killer Pool does not cut it.

In contrast, Virtual Pool has the best physics of any pool game, be it PC, iPhone, or any other platform. It also has a career mode with unlockables, different table sizes (with different pocket sizes), different locations. It has more game types, including Straight Pool(cool!) and Rotation. There are dozens of players to shoot against. It just needs online play to be super-ultimate perfecto!.

VP also loads very fast, has a "ghost ball" for aiming help, as well as aiming lines. One thing VP does not have, however, is the ability to raise the butt of your stick to perform "Masse's" or legal jump shots. The PC version has this. Bit of a disappointment, though very minor for me.

Killer Pool could be better. As it stands now, Virtual Pool is still the king.

(Edited for clarification)

10. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Thank you schplurg for that detailed and in depth review! Looks like I will go with Virtual pool :)

11. Pinstripes

Pinstripes Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Id say VP. I got the lite version of this and i like Vp better. My opinion

12. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I got it before the negative reviews came in :( Oh well. Can you play by yourself in Killer Pool?

13. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    THIS IS THE BEST POOL GAME IN THE APP STORE (so far) sorry about yelling, but I tried killer pool and I think it isn't as precise. This one is better for me because of controls.

14. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    yes, you can.;)

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    So, thumbs up for KP, Pablo?

16. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I'm having trouble figuring out how to play a normal game (the one I like), but from what I've played it's pretty good and a no-brainer for 99 cents. Unless you have other pool games, or you are an extreme pool fanatic where everything needs to be perfect. ;)

17. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #17 Big Albie, Mar 8, 2009
    Personally, Virtual Pool is my favorite pool app. The physics are more or less real and it doesn't seem as clumsy or cluttered as Killer Pool. It's also the same price at a whopping $.99. Killer Pool does have different tables which is a nice touch.

18. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    How? ;)

BTW I don't mean single player against the CPU. I mean no opponent at all :)

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I have VP, but haven't played in months, good game though. It was worth the $2.99 I payed for it, undoubtedly.

Based on your assessments, imma give it a go.:D

20. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

#20 schplurg, Mar 8, 2009
    This doesn't make sense. Which game do you find better? I assume you mean you tried Virtual Pool and think it isn't as precise. Of course, as I explained earlier, it is not as realistic.

I also don't like the control button layout in Killer Pool. In VP the buttons are pretty plain looking, but they are at least out of the way. Killer has crazy styled buttons that take up a third of the screen.

They both have their good points, the best being that they are both 99 cents :)