iPad KillaTron 2112 Free for a short while

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by appman2010, Sep 11, 2010.

1. appman2010

appman2010 Member

Sep 1, 2010
    I'm pleased to announce KillaTron 2112 is free for a while, please leave a review if you enjoy it.

2. VisceriousZERO

VisceriousZERO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I love the game, just got it today.

Suggestion? I'd pay for skins... :D

Good job!

3. lingmongjai

lingmongjai Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Design Engr
    silicon valley
    Is this game going to have leaderboards eventually? like game center ... openfient ... ?

4. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Sweet and thank you! I look forward to giving this a shot.

5. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    THANK YOU!!! :D

I don't currently have a device to play it on, but when my Touch 4 arrives I will definitely try it and leave a review on iTunes. I love classic Robotron, so I think I'll like this. :)

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #6 ArtNJ, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    I cant recommend this game. It does have a Robotron feel, although it is not a literal clone. (Not sure why, I would have preferred a literal clone.) The only thing that is a literal port is the strobe like loading screen for each level or when you die, and maybe some of the sounds, which is cool, at least at first. My criticisms:

1. Graphics are really really bad. I played Robotron as recently as 2 years ago, and for whatever reason (smaller screen?) this looks a lot worse.

2. Dual control sticks are at the very bottom of the screen, tiny, and a lot harder to use than in similar games.

3. No pause button. WTF?

4. Game gives you a lot of lives, cause its easy to die. Sounds fine in principle, but the strobe lights for you died or new wave -- which seems cool at first because its straight from Robotron -- gets annoying fast. Similarly, unlike "real" Robotron, there are power-ups that make some levels super quick -- meaning that you see that load screen a LOT.

I loved Robotron, but I think that the people giving this good reviews are being charitable because they loved Robotron. I am not going to do that.

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 6, 2010
    +1

I understand where your coming from on your other points. I think the graphics aren't that bad, just very simple. (I never played Robotron though) But yeah, I see what the dev was trying to do with the sticks, giving the look of a console but after playing SB all day and then playing this, well, it's not a fair comparison. You nailed it Art, way too small and too close to the edge. Having said all that I do recommend it as free and if the sticks were better $.99 to $1.99 would be great too.

8. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, the small control pads are what really kill it for me too.

9. appman2010

appman2010 Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Killatron 2112 update

Thanks for the comments

I have submitted an update with the following:-

Control pads moved away from the bottom of the screen to make it easier to move.

Game play more balanced in terms of power up / lives and smart bombs.

The in between levels effect is now less annoying.

As for the graphics, they can be re-done but it's ment to be very simple looking.

An in game pause button has been added.

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Looking forward. Thanks for the care and attention you give your game. We appreciate it!

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Canton, Ohio

Glad to hear it, I'm really looking forward to the update. It's always nice when a developer tries to give you what you want! Thanks Appman2010

12. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm not going to complain too much about a game I got for free, but I do have to say I found it nearly unplayable due to the controls. I would swear I was moving the stick to the right and my character would run in some other random direction. Same with shooting.

I'm not sure if moving the controls from the bottom will fix this or not, but I look forward to the update.