Universal Kid Tripp - (by Michael Burns)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    The boulder before the spiders kills you if you're too slow. You have to be running before that part and continue holding down run through the missiles section, if you do, the timing is perfect and you can just focus on landing your jumps.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

How did I miss this? And I'm a fan of hardcore platformers!

I'm waiting till next week before buying though, some other releases I'm waiting for.

So 20 levels = 4 worlds, 5 levels each? More levels planned?

3. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Trust me , you won't need more.

4. Bronxsta

So I was reading the Gamezebo review

A 4/5 and this was the only negative:
    So is that what cost the game an extra point? Now I've seen this in reviews for other high difficulty games as well, why is precision/high/hardcore difficulty considered a con or negative by some reviewers? I never understood that. Is IOS gaming still considered predominantly "casual"?

5. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Astounding as it may seem, many people are literally still under the impression that "mobile gaming" means Tetris and Snake. Even for those more enlightened, iOS gaming in particular is often still seen as just being Angry Birds.

6. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You say you were reading the review, but then you've focused only on the summary at the end. The reviewer also talks about the linearity of the game - the fact that there's often only one fixed path and you have to follow it exactly. Not a problem for me, personally, but I imagine that's why it dropped a point.

7. intrepid

intrepid Active Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Thanks. I'm no good at the game but it's addictive just have to keep trying. You only find out the time and deaths after finishing all levels. Wasn't expecting that many deaths.

4-2 you have to sprint all the way and hold down jump when jumping on snakes.

8. Bronxsta

Well I was kind of using the review as a jumping off point, but even so, docking a point because a game forces you to master a linear path seems unfair. A linear path and learning the correct route is common place for auto runner platformers (Polara, Vector, etc).

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    It would make sense if you were voting for a president or something where there's really only going to be two candidates with a chance of winning and the result presumably matters. It's not like I don't understand the concept, but I wouldn't apply it to a favorite game poll.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Any update on iCloud support? I've finally managed to get gold on 3-5, thus making this the official first game I own on iOS that I've completed to 100%. :) Of course I wouldn't mind taking on the challenge again on my iPad, but you know...;)

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    In fairness, they were specific rather than just saying it's hard. There was a segment late in the game where figuring out how to get through it became too cryptic to do logically. I probably spent more time on that one point than I did on the rest of the game up to that point and that really sapped my enjoyment even though I am usually a top 5% scorer in most games. I do think that's an unreasonably high demand for precision. Also, there's already a system in place to rank players ranging from great to bad provided everyone beats the game somehow so it's not like it couldn't have been better if they nixed a few tricky spots. Casual isn't really the same thing as easy either. Casual games are gateway games that non-gamers can derive some enjoyment from, some are easy, some are hard.

12. pixelpowa

pixelpowa Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
    That's awesome, nice job!

I'll be honest - school just started back up for me and I haven't had time to add anything new to the game yet.

I'm thinking I'll implement this like a "backup" system. i.e. you'd go to the options menu to upload your current game to the cloud, then you could download it to your other devices. KT is constantly saving (to prevent exploitations), so it'd get really complicated keeping everything in sync.

Think this'd be okay?

13. pixelpowa

pixelpowa Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
    #173 pixelpowa, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Hey all, Kid Tripp is free this weekend! Have fun. :)

14. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    #174 Snozberry, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    I am very late to the party, but I must say, this has absolutely become my new addiction! I was a little worried about the screenshots, but they definitely don't do the game justice, the graphics are gorgeously crisp pixel art, but for some reason it looks a bit.. Texture-ish in the screenshots.

I had previously completed super splatform and was looking for new twitchy platformers, and this is the only one that has hit the spot.

I will be adding this dev to my favourite sellers list, he is clearly a genius and creating these types of fast paced rage games.. I have only seen it be pulled off correctly in a very small amount of cases. It really is hit or miss, too much rage isn't good, and turns the player off, but this is JUST PERFECT!

I'd love to see this dev create a bouncing style game, like S.S and beans quest, they seem to be all the rage these days. I reckon they will take off very soon! Can't wait to see more of them in the AppStore, I absolutely adore them and they are really quite spare at the moment unfortunately.

15. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #175 Andy C83, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  16. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Are the videos educational or to show off your divine skills ? ##

Just kidding ;-) . Keep em. coming !

17. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Both! :p

18. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Only 4 levels left til I've completed the game. #.. It's so brilliant, but quite short.. I really hope the dev is working on a sequel or atleast a level pack, paid or free, I don't care, just gimme MOARRR please. *gobble gobble gobble*

19. intrepid

intrepid Active Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Loved this game. Look forward to whatever the dev comes up with next.