Universal Kid Tripp - (by Michael Burns)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    Thanks for letting me know. :)

2. digitalphil

digitalphil Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Playing it now..

3. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Why does the description say optimized for iPhone 5 if it obviously isn't? Thought all new apps had to support widescreen or they wouldn't get approved. Wouldn't have bought this had the app description been accurate...

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This game is so brutal, frustrating and unforgiving that it's so good.

Havent read earlier that this was a level based auto-running platformer, else this wouldve been played before everything else.

Great sharp visuals, good audio, great controls and nice level layouts.

What this game lacks though, are checkpoints. Die right before the end of the level, and you have to start all over.

This is how Polara became ultimately great even if it was brutal. It lets you finish levels bit by bit, and then it gives you some incentive if you get to finish without dying.

On the other hand, 774 Deaths remedied the no-checkpoint mechanic by having a more bite-sized set of levels. Kid Tripp has longer levels, which makes going back to the start a bit more painful.

Nonetheless, Kid Tripp is a great auto-running platformer that deserves to be played and spent time on. Just be prepared to die a lot. :)

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    You know, I found the levels just short enough to not be frustrating when you replay them (as you will. Lots.)

Often I find that the level end is literally a screen behind the point when I'm about to get frustrated. "Works for me" is the best way to describe it, I guess.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I agree. The length of all the levels is perfect, IMO and honestly...I wouldn't mind a couple of hardcore levels that are significantly longer. :3

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Loving this. The graphics are superb, plays very well, a few times i've died which has been frustrating but it really is a case of 'one more try' and you keep playing

Must admit i would love to switch over the buttons, i find it weird jumping on the left, would prefer to touch the far right to jump. But a great looking game

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Anyone got any tips for world 4 level 2, im stuck at the part with the two spiders, the spiders are moving up and down and theres 4 spikes below them, i cant figure out how to get past it?

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It all comes down to timing, but you're gonna wanna jump off the "ledge" thing right before them, keeping pressing jump, land on the first spider's head, don't let go of the jump and you should bounce off the second one.

10. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    FINALLY beat level 5 in world 3 !

11. pixelpowa

pixelpowa Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
    It technically supports widescreen devices, it just doesn't draw the game on the entire screen. I never checked a box anywhere that said it supports it though (I wouldn't have if I had the choice), so I guess Apple decided that themselves. That said, it does receive input in the black areas, so I guess it's a step up from usual non-4-inch support. I'm curious though, don't the screenshots on the App Store have black bars if you're viewing it on a 4-inch device?

I am working on widescreen support now, but it could be a few weeks (or months) before it's ready.

12. pixelpowa

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
    Yup, this is right on. I just wanted to add that you'll also need to be sprinting to pull this off.

13. digitalphil

digitalphil Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I bought it
    the game looks bad on ipad.. i'm sure it's not meant for ipad's giant retina display
    but nonetheless
    I really like what this game is trying to do.. but it's insanely hard..
    I played a couple of levels.. then just gave up.
    i think other games have done this better... i'll wait for an update before i make a final decision

14. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Can't find this on the Danish App Store. :(

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #55 metalcasket, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    I respectfully disagree. I think the game looks absolutely wonderful on an iPad retina display and I personally believe it does "this" better than the rest of the competition. People need to understand that this is supposed to be hard. There's no scaling difficulty...it's hard from the get-go.

The thing I don't understand is...why have I found it relatively easy? Sure Pix may have died 7 times in his first game, while I died over 800 times, but I made it to the end of the game and have even gotten all coins on all but one level. Either I grew up in a time when all games were this hard, or people have gotten spoiled by games nowadays that it's not worth dedicating the time and effort it takes to beat hard-ass games anymore.

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I need this.

17. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I agree, I'm loving the difficulty of this, like how games used to be. I grew up when games like dark souls were not hard that would have been classed as easy in the 80's/90's
    Games where one hit kills you.
    Oh and how does this look bad on iPad? I've got iPad4 and it looks great.?

Attached Files:

18. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wow just finished the game and that is the most satisfying end credits screen I've reached in quite some time.
    What a bargain for 69p.

19. pixelpowa

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
  20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Forget Pocketgamer...HARRY SLATER (!!!) gave it a 9/10! :D

For anyone who isn't aware...I've criticized the dude's reviews to no end starting off with his 3/10 review for AVP: Evolution, but over time, I've realized...nah, the dude knows his games.

Congrats Pix....truly, truly, truly deserved. :)