Kickstarter open to fraud?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by hellscaretaker, Sep 5, 2012.

1. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    Seems more and more these days of hearing about up coming games that need a kickstart. I was surprised to read star command has had two kickstarters. Is this method open to fraud I mean after all you putting money into a game that may never see light of day? I assume there must be safeguards in place?

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #2 Royce, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    If it comes down to it, it's between the backer and the project creator, so yes there is potential for fraud.

KS TOU

There is a post from just a few hours ago on TechCrunch that cuts right to the chase.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    People need to remember that funds provided to a Kickstarter is really more of a investment/gift to the project in question - expecting anything in return is going to be based solely on the capability (and perhaps the integrity) of the people running the project. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

4. jag64

jag64 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    what i know about kickstarter funding :( i pledged some projects! )is , that you pledge some amount and you only will be charged when the project is funded! so if the project fails you keep your money!

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yes, but there's no guarantee that the project will then deliver anything. But I've kickstarted a bunch of things and so far have had no problems. Knock on wood.