[Kickstarter] Genesis! - by Covenant Media

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Primoz, Mar 24, 2015.

1. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    They wanted to become our partner, in essence, to invest in the game and assume a lot of control for it. If you know anything about investors, you know you are, in essence, selling a piece of your heart and dream to them. They didn't just want to make a donation. :)

2. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    We'd accept donations from anyone! But they weren't wanting to make a donation. They wanted to become an investor. If you know anything about dealing with investors, you know that you loose a lot of control over any project if you take on investors. :) That's why we didn't accept it.

3. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    If you think it's a good idea, we'd love to take your money! As I said, we didn't take the money because they wanted to become an investor, they weren't wanting to make a donation. :) You loose a lot of control over a project, you're pretty much selling pieces of it, when you take on investors. :)

4. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Yes, the problem was that they wanted to become our PARTNER, not just to donate to the campaign. If you know anything about investors/partnerships, you know you loose a lot of control when you take them on. Consequently, this would be a last resort for us. :)

5. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    We wanted to do mobile first because
    a) Mobile games are harder, but we've done them a lot.
    b) A big part of our target audience doesn't have access to a PC, but they do have access to a smart phone. :)

6. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Hey! Yes, Primoz is right, we actually develop stuff for mobiles professionally, so we've been working on this already for a couple of years in our spare time, cutting down the cost a LOT. This money is just to finish it up.

7. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Hey James! Thanks! Send me a message!

8. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Yeah, the only problem with that (even though it was really tempting) was that they wanted to become our PARTNER. That means they would get a lot of creative control over the game. We all talked about it and decided it would only be a last resort. If you know anything about investors, you know you're selling a part of your soul to them when you take them on ;)

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I understand perfectly what you mean, no worries :) If I were in your shoes I wouldn't want that either.
    And while I'm firmly opposed to anything religious, as long as you don't shove it in my face: do whatever you want. "Freedom of Religion" does not only mean "Freedom *from* Religion", after all ;)

While your game sounds great, the strong Christian undercurrent does put me off. Will have to see how it turns out in the end.

Major nitpick: Creationism is *not* Science. Calling that Paul Taylor guy a "science nerd" is a slap in the face of all real scientists. Stepping off my soapbox again, back to the game...

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #30 Primoz, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Hahah, right?

It was posted in their Facebook page, sorry for not stating the source of that quote.

No, I wasn't criticizing any of their values at all. Their dedication to the project is admirable. They didn't want to partner up because they didn't want to spoil their vision.

That vision, however, is what started to concern me when I read that post. I honestly didn't read through their whole kickstarter campaign, because it's normally just the usual stuff. But after I've seen that and read the rest of their website and the kickstarter campaign, it became pretty apparent that this will be a very "in-yo-face" christian game.

Just read their research. I thought that this is just going to be about some computer stuff and game development, but...

They are taking the Genesis literally as science. And I have absolutely no interest in this project anymore.

Anyway, I asked the developer about the worst scenario and this was his reply, in case anyone is still interested in this project.
    Let me quote you back here:
    That sentence structure tells a whole different story to me. You obviously see non-christians as a "problem". And the "So we said no." sentence refers to that non-christian problem and not to the partnership.

Edit: oh, haha. The developer edited their facebook update to:
    I'm just glad that I quoted you before the edit, so we can all enjoy this epic quote:

Also, I have a question for the developer (he should know how to answer this, since he did so much research on Genesis). So, god created Adam and then Eve from his rib. They had 3 children: Cain, Abel and the less known Seth. So how did they reproduce? God clearly didn't create more people, since they would then be without the ancestral sin. So then, are we, people, a happy giant incestous family? But God is against any kind of incest, so... What does your research tell you? I was raised as Christian and this always bothered the hell out of me.

11. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    #31 covenantmedia, Mar 25, 2015
    Yeah, I phrased that original post wrong. We'd even be really choosy if a Christian investor wanted to have that much control. They'd have to have the exact same vision we do, ha ha, and that's not likely. :) You know investors :) Also: thanks so much for the reply! I've come across so many people who disagree and start calling me names :p I was kind of scared to insert myself into the discussion, but your reply is super encouraging! You're awesome!

12. covenantmedia

covenantmedia Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Taking on any partner is a huge decision, as I'm sure you know. :) We'd really hesitate even if it was a Christian. They would have to have the same vision for the game, which isn't likely. :)
    Also, if you look at the research objectively, there are major problems with the evolutionary theory (the only big alternative to a creator). We just came to the conclusion that, logically, there had to "something more" to the story, and most scientists will agree that evolution is not by any means a fool-proof explanation for the origins of life.
    In answer to your question: the first boys married and reproduced with their sisters. You'll notice that they only occasionally mention the daughters born, because lineage was traced back through the male children. Genetically, this is possible with a "more concentrated" gene pool. This was one of the first questions I had when I was considering creationism, so good one.
    If you're interested in creation and if it's logically possible, I'd recommend "Answers in Genesis," they have a lot of research and answers for common questions like that, showing that the Bible's explanation for the origin of life is actually as viable as evolution's explanation. :)

13. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Not sure what happened but the post where I quoted Facebook before the devs posted here,is missing some text I added, I had wrote something along the lines of, I wonder if the issue the partnership part, as partnership isnt offered as part of the kick starter pledges, in which case they should have just posted that was the reason for saying no. Instead of saying "only problem is......" As that implied they would have taken the offer up had it been a christian. I appreciate the devs have changed the comment now.

I'm not gonna say what my beliefs are but I'm very careful to encourage my daughter to make up her own mind but her school push Christianity on them and teach the bible as fact,(I'm in discussions with teachers over this as it's supposed to be an inclusive non religious school) my child is very logical and doesn't believe, she thinks the very idea of a talking snake is ludicrous for example, but she is polite and listens and then she looks at everything from every angle and we research things, she loves learning about different faiths but she tends to go towards the facts of science.

This type of game is the type she loves, and I'm going to show her your kick starter page, but I think the religious tones will put her off, but I do wish you guys luck, and I hope the game becomes everything you want it to be.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #34 Nullzone, Mar 25, 2015
    One of the many inconsistencies in the bible. They went to have a polyamorous relationship with Lilith, I guess :p
    Jokes aside, I don't think this is the right place to discuss these topics. Split it off into a Lounge thread for example, and I'll happily participate.
    Or start looking around on the net, there are many (atheist) sites addressing these topics. Try this one for starters http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/ .

No. Just no. Give me scientific evidence for any "creator" first, then we can talk further. Not to mention that those "major problems" don't exist outside of Creationist propaganda...

Again. No, just no.
    Don't get me started on those folks... <snips a length reply>

Again, no. The real answer is more complex, including a lengthy discourse about the scientific method, how no theory is ever considered "proven", etc... so we'll skip that for now.

Logic cries a silent tear for being so misused...

Again, no. Don't have all my links at hand, but there are enough sites showing in excruciating detail what's wrong with that.

Sorry, didn't want to leave this undisputed.
    Again, I don't think this is the right place for this debate. Move it to a Lounge thread or such, and I'll happily rip you apart :p

15. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Evolution is a very broad term, but it mainly focuses on the how's and why's of specie diversity and doesn't deal with the origin of life that much. To do research on that you must go beyond biology into the fields of physics and chemistry, namely Abiogenesis.

Anyway, this is a gaming forum so let's get back to that.

Exactly how much christian propaganda (propaganda not necessarily the bad meaning) will there be in this game? I guess the story aspect of the game will be full of christian references, but what I understood from the video you won't necessarily have to deal with that aspect of the game and just focus on exploring the random generated terrain, survival and crafting without encountering any religious aspects of the game?

16. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Hahah, I know.

I love it when believers state how the Bible was written by God because it is so consistent. Then you give them this link and never get a reply back.

17. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    To the DEVS. FYI there is a typo in your kickstarter.

MUSIC PRODUCER tier says 'if you want to be the sole producer of the Characters'
    which I assume should be 'If you want to be the sole producer of the music'.

18. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    And that's respectable. I agree, good on yah.