Khalid Shaikh, the App Spammer, is back!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LordGek, Jun 10, 2009.

1. bitjokey

bitjokey Active Member

May 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Someone invites him in this thread to TA. http://www.iphonedevforums.com/forum/introduce-yourself/626-hello-silicon-valley-pakistan.html#post1584

Apparently someone started this thread about him back in January http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849 for one of his apps iScarlet.

He even had an app called "iAstrology". A feed of NASA's picture of the day!
    In his description: "Help support the USA and NASA by buying this application today."
    But the app is removed now. Help support USA and NASA Wow!!!

This guy needs be stopped! I spent some time on apple's site but couldn't find an email address to report him. Don't know if it would stop him sending apps and apple putting them up in App store.

2. svolskiy

svolskiy Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Kiev
    Looks like Khalid developed an iPhone apps generator and does test it in AppStore.
    Don't give up Khalid! ;)

3. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    I received a canned response from the [email protected] which pointed me to place a complaint with [email protected]. Not sure they will do anything unless a claim is placed against the developer by the actual copyright holder. Although if they get a lot of complaints I would think they would at least check into it.

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I don't understand why any of you think Apple would be concerned about this. I don't understand why any of you are concerned about this. It is the responsibility of the copyright holders and stakeholders to defend their intellectual properties. None of you have the right to usurp the legal process to service your own boredom. You can contact the copyright holders and inform them of the suspected violation. That is all you can do.

5. bitjokey

bitjokey Active Member

May 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You're right, but on the other hand it's not just copyright issues. This guy sent about 800 apps to App Store and Apple published them. I have checked 15-20 of them and they all have same lame site for both as publisher site and support sites and Apple is responsible for this mess. I am (maybe some others too) more concerned about Apple's irresponsibilty of publishing his apps and letting him get away with this. If were to buy one of his apps there is no email to contact, this just lowers the standards in the App Store.

6. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Well, it seems that Apple concerns itself with issues at random as a rule. They allowed the Baby Shaker game into the store and only removed it after the public outcry. They rejected the Eucalyptus app and later allowed it after negative media exposure. What's to say that Apple wouldn't do something about Khalid Shaikh if enough people or the right people made a big enough stink about him?

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think my big whine is the fact that several LEGITIMATE app updates are taking longer and longer to get through the app approval process. One of the main reasons for this I'm convinced, besides now having to test for both OS 2 and 3, are the HUGE flood of apps the approvers are having to handle. Which brings me back to the FACT that this one guys, with his useless spamming apps, has to be taking appovers time that could be so much better used with REAL apps.

8. #88 Mindfield, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    Apple isn't letting him to anything, and aren't responsible for anything either. Suggesting otherwise is like saying book stores should be responsible for the contents of the books they sell. That's really only between the author and the party that has had their material appropriated. Apple's just the store, and the department that does the approvals or rejections doesn't have oversight on infringing material because they have no way of knowing whether the material was properly licensed or not, nor would they necessarily even be able to identify infringing material on sight -- and even if they did, it's not their place to do anything about it. The only people who can and should be doing anything about it is someone who is a legal representative of the entity whose material was used without permission. If Apple tries to reject it on accusatory grounds of copyright infringement, they open themselves up to lawsuits.

Yes, Kahlid is flaming bag of marmoset pebbles, and what he's doing is unethical at best, infringing at worse, and it's clogging up the App Store with complete and utter tripe, but the only way to shut him down is through proper legal avenues, and unfortunately none of those pass by 1 Infinite Loop.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, so the copyright aspect is out, I can accept this. What about deliberate name confusion? Giving your app the exact same name of a current top hit in the store?

10. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Apple would be concerned about this because they get 30% off everything the guy makes. If he's making money off of material that's not his, so is Apple.

11. Same problem, different regulatory body. One could sue the other, but unless one of them has filed a trademark for the name and thus has ample evidence to win a suit pretty much by default, it'll be a civil matter of one proving they had the name before the other. In either case Apple still doesn't enter into it. This would be the same problem as the Edge dispute.

12. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    The point about Apple's cut of all monies paid for apps hasn't really been addressed. So say this guy does get indicted for CR infringement and all his apps get pulled. What happens to the money both he and Apple made up that point?

13. fogosolo

fogosolo Member

May 29, 2009
    Here's my solution:

Send this as a story to the media. Once the story breaks out, Apple will be forced to act.

Anyone think Wired would be interested?

14. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    He's my hero

15. 1bigapp

1bigapp Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    And don't forget BrightHouse Labs... same spammers...=(
    So 50% apps are lame in store

16. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I doubt he would be indicted because it is unlikely to be treated as a criminal matter. I would not even expect disputes to go beyond cease & desist orders. In any case, Apple's 30% is in no danger.

17. SmallSoldiers81

SmallSoldiers81 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    oHiO
    submit it to wired. that would be amazing

18. PDJApps

PDJApps Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    I love this guy! It's always great to see what new app (scheme) he'll come up with!

19. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Uggghh.

Brighthouse Labs.
    I remember I was surfing Appshopper and I was spammed with 6 pages of "___ Fans" apps.

20. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA