iPad KenKen-Train your Brain

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by upsidedown, Jun 10, 2009.

1. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 upsidedown, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    Released by capcom recently.It seems to be a puzzle game.

Here's the description:
    Popularized by famed puzzle master Will Shortz and syndicated in the New York Times puzzle page as well as dozens of other of top newspapers across the world, KENKEN requires logic and simple arithmetic to crack the devilishly ingenious puzzles. Easy to learn and difficult to master, the game includes 250 different puzzles ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced.

Features:
    -over 250 different puzzles
    -Puzzles for novice through expert players with puzzles ranging from 3 by 3 up to 6 by 6 grids.
    -Interactive tutorial to help new players with the basics.
    -Stunning graphics to capture the player's imagination.

Link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318957616&mt=8

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    This should really be in the game discussion forum. We need a chatbox for all the small 1 sentance comments like this or something.

3. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Sorry, Now i posted the app description up there.

4. greyscot

greyscot Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    KenKen

Here is the iTunes link to KenKen by Capcom:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318957616&mt=8

KenKen is the "official version" of the game and is priced at $4.99. KenKen is a solid logic game similar sudoku (go to www.kenken.com for a good introduction or go to the thread below for the best TA discussion so far on KenKen type games).

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=9769

There have been at least two worthy clones on the Touch ... iKendu (which originally had to be pulled because it included 'Ken' in title, and is now call 2doku) and Latkin (which I think is the better of the two and good value).

I just bought KenKen so I have no impressions so far, but I am impressed by the interface and am convinced the puzzles will be of high quality based on the fact the the original developer of KenKen was involved. KenKen has been available on mobile platforms for awhile. There are many books available as well by Will Shortz, who has made a small fortune off sudoku books.

The $4.99 price tag is high, but since I really like this type of game, I know I will play it enough to get my money's worth.

5. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Which of the games is the best?

6. greyscot

greyscot Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    The easy answer is "depends". For me the decision is between LATKIN and KENKEN.

Latkin has many puzzles and includes some REALLY difficult ones (9x9) that seem more like math class rather than logic, so I don't play them. Latkin has a very good interface to enter numbers and is easily worth the price ($1.99).

KenKen is more expensive ($4.99) but has the more polished graphics (3 different themes), background music, and a good tutorial built in. As well, KenKen was created with the involvment of the inventor of the puzzle (Tetsuya Miyamoto) and is licensed to use "kenken" in the title. You are paying for the glitz of the official game. I am enjoying it very much, but it has just been released so I am not very far in.

Overall, if you are new to the game of kenken, I think KenKen by Capcom is a bit better and an easy recommendation. There is more hand-holding and help in this game and the graphics add to the enjoyment.
    For those who know the game and want a challenge (and don't care about fancy graphics), the Latkin is a great buy.

If you like logic puzzles/games, you can't go wrong with either. I don't regret either purchase.

7. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
  8. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Fixed.

9. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks! Sorry about that.

10. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    After an hour of playing, i'm seriously hooked on this game. Hook, Line and
    Sinker.

For $5, needs more puzzles than 250. Also needs FaceBook connect.

My brain hurts.....

11. I agree with your assessment. Kenken has some good tutorials and covers various aspects of puzzle solving techniques. So yea for new users probably Kenken is the way to go but if you really get into it definitely pick up Latkin as your fun will be infinite with 20,000+ puzzles.

Kenken has 3 lifelines your given. To use one shows any errors and the other provides a hint. Also has an Academy where you solve three puzzles and take a final exam. The three puzzles are introducing the solving techniques. Has three themes with music. Has multiple languages so that's always nice.

I guess what I was really hoping for is the newyorktimes.com site has like 6 daily kenken puzzles and it would be nice to be able to play 5 of them daily. Couldn't play the 8x8 since KenKen app only does 3x3 and 6x6 but it has two 4x4 and three 6x6 puzzles. Kinda like the USA Today Crosswords I like to play the daily Quick Cross puzzles.