Universal Kemono Mahjong (by CyberDog Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by cyberdog, Aug 20, 2017.

1. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    It's for whoever enjoys mahjong. :)

I just wanted to add some personality & do something different than other mahjong apps.

2. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Can someone tell me if it is easy to see on iPhone 7 or is it small?

3. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    There are three tile-sets to choose from; traditional, traditional without lettering in the corners, and a 'simplified' set that features larger letters (I did this partly to handle smaller screens, like on my iPod Touch 5th Gen). You can see samples of them on the app store listingÂ… if the 'traditional' layout seems small to you, then perhaps the 'simplified' set would suit you better. :)

Hope that helps.

4. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    The art style isn't really my thing, but Japanese-style mahjong and tutorials by an understandable English speaker? Something I've been looking for for years. Awesome!

5. twoeyedcyclops

Dec 19, 2014
    I picked this up today and I'm glad I did. I haven't played Mahjong in about ten years but I was able to jump right in. As far as I know this is the only Japanese rules Mahjong game for mobile devices that you can play in English and against AI, so it seems like a great way to learn the game. The non-traditional arrangement of the four players makes the game easier to see and play on a mobile device, so I really appreciate that touch and a willingness to do things slightly differently for the sake of making it more playable. The scoring summary screen is very clear and user friendly, another nice touch. I like how fast it plays, so you can get in a lot of games very quickly.

The only thing I've noticed - and this is very minor - but it feels like it takes about a half second for button presses to register, for example when pressing the Discard button, and a few times it didn't seem to register at all and I had to press it multiple times. I am playing on an older iPad though, so that might have something to do with it. But that's a minor point that barely detracts from this great, fast-playing, user-friendly implementation of real Mahjong.

6. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Awesome, I'm glad you like it! And thanks for the kind words! (I knew deviating from the 'established' display was a bit of a risk, but I do think it makes better use of the narrow screen real estate).

I'm not sure about the 'touch delay' thing, but I will look into it! (What model iPad + version of iOS, if you don't mind me asking?)

Thanks again. :)

7. twoeyedcyclops

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm using an iPad 4th generation, on iOS version 10.3.3. What I see is, I tap a button like the Discard or Ignore button, and instead of it reacting right away, there's about a half second delay before something happens, such as the discarded tile being moved to the discard area. It's not a huge deal but it's noticeable for me.

I was just going to add, I played through the tutorials today and they were very clear and easy to understand. Another nice feature I didn't initially notice is the icon in the upper right corner that has a reference guide to the yaku scoring situations - really handy!

8. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Noted about the iPad version - not sure I can address it, but I will certainly try. :)

Glad you liked the tutorials and yaku reference. Note you can also tap on the yaku names on the score summary panel too, to get the description. :)

Thanks again!

9. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Is multiplayer a possibility? Either same device or bluetooth pvp? This would be a great iPad party game.

10. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Same device would be tricky as you don't want to accidentally reveal your hand to others. However, I do have some ideas on how to implement multiplayer in future (it'll take a bit, though - it's complicated!).

Thanks! :)

11. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    dear mister developer, change the name of the app icon, please. "Kemono M..." looks ugly. maybe just "Mahjong" or "KM"?

thanks in advance!

12. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Will do!
    Thanks. :)

13. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Hi again; v1.02.5 has just been released, could you let me know if it resolves the "delayed response" issue you were running into?

Hope you enjoy. :)

14. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    problem solved for me. ilu mister developer! :3

15. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Awesome, glad to hear. :) Grateful for all your support!

16. chumpop

chumpop Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Developer, thanks for being so active in these forums. That kind of thing always encourages me to support studios. I've always wanted to learn the "real" mahjong, and I'm expecting this app to be a convenient way to do so. I'll be making my purchase when I get home. #

17. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Much appreciated - I hope you enjoy!

An update for iOS was released yesterday in fact, bringing multiple improvements to the score summary and end of match screens; there are also options now to use Japanese terms (eg. pon, Kan, chi, etc.), Auto-discard on Riichi, and display a Furiten indicator. :)

More updates planned. Thanks!

18. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    #38 DTK, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    That's really nice!

Give's a chance thats the game becomes translate to German language?
    That's would be amazing!!!

Alone in my circle of friends, there are already several people who want to learn the Japanese Mahjong.
    This game would be a great start into the world of Mahjong!

I like the presentation of the game really very good.##

Since the first day of release, the game is on my wishlist.
    If the game would including German localization, I would have bought it immediately. Honestly.

19. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    I finally got around to purchasing this and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Still getting used to the Japanese rules but there seems to be a good bit of help within the game.

One suggestion: please make the tiles a little larger. Even on a 6-plus screen the numbers are tiny. There looks to be plenty of room for enlargement.
    One other: landscape mode, please??

Excellent game!

20. cyberdog

cyberdog Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Ah, glad to hear - thank you! :)

I tried to make the tiles as large as I could while still keeping 14 full-sized ones horizontally. However, I know some might find the numerals small - under settings, try one of the other two tileset. Traditional (2) has no lettering, but the imagery is larger; "Simplified" has much bigger numbers and I find it easier to play with, personally. :)

Landscape... may be a bit tricky, but it's something I'm considering for later, as it might be nice to port to PC (which would require supporting a widescreen display).

Thanks for your support. More updates planned. :)