Keeping music on a cloud?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by sweetdiss, Oct 20, 2010.

1. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I recently decided it makes the most sense for me to store my music collection on a cloud online and just stream it whenever I want to listen. This way it doesn't take up space on my phone, and I don't have to worry about losing it since it's all backed up online.

I signed up for Psonar because they offer unlimited storage for free, and so far it's working okay. However, I've had some issues (for instance, sometimes the mobile site can't be accessed from my phone) and I was wondering if anyone else has used a different service and how that worked out?

Thanks!

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    why don't you just get an external harddrive?

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    He's using the Linus Torvalds backup method. ;)

I've heard of a lot of people using DropBox with their iPads.

4. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Plus, I'm not a big fan of the Simplify Media-type "computer as remote server" method, as I don't want to leave my PC on all the time and I'm not computer-savvy enough to figure out port forwarding and router firewalls and all that jazz (believe me, I've tried!).

As far as DropBox goes, I definitely considered that (and even signed up and use it for other things), but unfortunately they only allow up to 2 GB of free storage and it doesn't have all the functionality of a regular mp3 player.

I sent Psonar a message about my problems with it and they got back to me right away, and even said they are making an iPhone app, so I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to backup their music online and stream it anywhere.

Another service I found which does pretty much the same thing (but doesn't let you download your mp3s back, not making it a good backup or storage solution) is one called MeCanto. It let's you stream all your music off their servers for free, but I haven't tried it yet. Also, their method of uploading your music to their servers isn't nearly as clever and efficient as Psonar's.

5. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    your phone company will be forever grateful to you!