Universal Kayos (by Jonathon Lanis)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 21, 2015.

1. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    i am playing on ipad air 2 but no issue with the tilt control. manage to hit 700++ with my score and still trying to do better

2. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Imps

I've had Boost 2 on my phone forever and come back to it often. Similar, clean look here. Just one mode at this point, but it's a good one. Runs smooth as glass on my iPhone 6 and has that clean look.

There are different types of obstacles, but no patterns that I have seen add yet. #I enjoy the swirling patterns in Boost 2 - very trippy. They may be here - I hadn't gotten very far.#

The boost mechanic is risk/reward - gain shield by holding finger anywhere on screen to boost for long enough. Boosting means you go faster and if your reflexes are like mine, going faster means you are more likely to hit an obstacle and it's game over unless you have a shield.

One thing I noticed, and have found this with many other tilt steering games, is "Steering jitter." That is, every slight tilt registers and is shown to the player so there is this kindof wiggle effect. This effect is notably absent in Boost 2, which has perfect tilt controls, IMHO. This makes Boost 2 fine on a commuter train, Kayos less so. Also takes away from the calming, Zen-like state I like to get into with these games. This is a very minor point and I may be the only one on the planet to notice.#

At any rate, I am looking forward to possible new game play modes and will keep this on my device next to Boost 2.#

3. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Got it immediately yesterday because it is by the maker of Boost 2. I must say that I'm really enjoying it and I already have a decent high score. However I think the game lacks a bit in content. It could definitely use a few different game modes to keep thing fresh and make me come back to it more. Because I have the feeling that I have already seen most of the game.. Other than that the gameplay is really great and I love the boost to shield mechanic. Also the graphics look really nice!

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I hate to be the opposing opinion here, especially from a game by the devs of Boost 2. Btw, thanks for the promo!
    This game is no Boost 2. Boost 2 is one of the kings of high speed avoidance games. However, I feel that this game does not elevate the genre at all in any way. I didn't want to say what I said but I need to be honest. At this moment I feel Kayos is laps behind Boost 2.

5. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Any chance of some different color themes? Not sure about those pastel Easter egg combos....

6. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Sorry, spoke too soon. It seems that I wasn't playing it right. Its all about the risk vs reward with this game and it makes the game play much different. I can now 100% recommend this game. I just wish that the period after I get hit with a shield would let me be able to recover a little bit longer before becoming solid.

7. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    5/5 it's exactly what I am looking nowadays in the AppStore. Bought boost 2 last year and bought this gem as well! I am looking forward to whatever you are going to release next Jonathan. I am sold.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Agreed. Maybe extend the invulnerability to 2 seconds after a shield gets used?

9. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Well, I'd appreciate some hint or secret advise how to play this game "right", because so far I suck big time! I'm by far last from all of my friends on GameCenter which is not only embarrassing but frustrating. It just makes me realize I'm doing something wrong. My highest score is less than 400 and I made like 50-60 attempts already. I assume I'm the problem, not the game, right guys?;) So, I'd appreciate some advise, thanks in advance.

Aside from my lack of gaming skills I really like the game. Gameplay-wise it's quite hectic. Visually pleasing and polished. The music fits perfectly, complements the overall mood. I really REALLY love that soft shadow underneath the ship. I know it's not realtime and whatnot, but it looks gorgeous! Tilt controls works like a charm and it's just a pleasure to use it even though I'm usually against tilt controls in general. This game's really worth some attention, I highly recommend it to any fan of the genre. Very well done.

10. jlanis86

jlanis86 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Are you using your boost at all? Try playing the game without it for a while, if you're constantly dying then it might help to start off slow.

That's not a bad idea. I'll see what I can do!

11. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    LOL, I just took your advice, didn't use boost at all and made high score of 990 on my first attempt! Well, it was very helpful advice, thank you!

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah, my second highest run was where i wasnt using boost. On the bad side, since it isnt punished in any way, it could negate one of the best features of the game which is the speed.

Either put some sort of penalty for not using boost, or make boost more useful. I think extending the invulnerability time on shield use is a good start, coz i dont honestly think creating some sort of punishment for players not using boost would be viable. Making boost usage more rewarding may be the correct way go.

13. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Exactly, a lot of the times using boost and using my shield makes me die even faster. I think there does need to be more rewarding for using boost and getting a shield. I can go pretty far beating my high score by not using any boost. Also I think that the ships wings are too wide. I would prefer the ship to have no wings because a lot of the obstacles are too narrow for the wings to get through. Maybe incorporate narrow wings with the boost and when you get a shield. Maybe shorten the wings when you are using boost and remove the wings once you achieve the shield?

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #34 drelbs, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Total blast.

It reminds me a lot of Race the Sun, but quite different.

A new permanent addition to my Tunnel folder (despite not being in a tunnel :rolleyes:)

I'd also agree that I tend to do better if I don't use boost at all...

As for the wings, perhaps have the ship tilt a bit more (and while you're at it, reduce the bobbing and/or have the ship droop down more while you're turning to float back up while you're flying straight.

15. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Wasn't sure what I was expecting when buying this, though as soon as I started, I found myself hooked! :D

Just a thought for the devs, any chance you'd integrate a few pickups in the game? It's be great to hop over a few obstacles, or maybe a power up that shrinks the wing size down for some "thread the needle" kind of moments.

16. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    This seem more a tech demo then a game. The graphics and sound are really nice. The controls are good but I wish you could do more like a full 90 turn. Otherwise it seems lacking in game elements.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    No offense, but this is the stupidest thing ive heard today. It's like asking a jump button for Super Hexagon. It's a twitch type high score chaser in the same genre as Super Hexagon or Impossible Road.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    What good would a 90 degree turn do in a game that's based on trying to find out how far (distance) you can go in one direction? >_> Had this been an arena-based game that calculates how long (time, obviously) you can survive without being hit by one of the various objects; sure...but it isn't.

19. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I'm glad you guys loved it but it wasn't for me. I should have specified turn your wings 90 degrees to avoid blocks. I also didn't like the fact it was easier to get a high score by not using boost. It needs better balance between risk are reward.

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... It does need the rebalance. The dev is considering improving the shield effect to make it worth using.