Universal Karate Fighter (By Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordCrom, May 3, 2009.

1. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    ooo im gonna have to score this.

chris.

2. deepseas

deepseas Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I like old style games like tihs.
    It looks so fun.

3. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal

OF added................Now you're tempting me :) :)

I am not a fan of virtual pads unless it's really done well. Any comments on the control ?

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Quick reminder: the update with OpenFeint support and other improvements is submitted, but not yet approved by Apple. Hopefully approval will be quick and painless.

I know what you mean about virtual dpads. Your best bet to access controls is the lite version. It provides access to 7 different control schemes, which are cycled through by touching the settings icon in-game. Your mileage may vary, but I prefer the default scheme. It lets you turn around and attack high/low with a single button touch, something that comes in handy when you're crowded by enemies.

5. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Karate Fighter 2.1 is out!

Lots of new goodies, most of which can be previewed in a companion update to the lite version. I'm quite liking the new survival mode and hope to see lots of folk posting scores there as the update trickles out.

6. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    Survival is great! It really fits the style of the game. I'm a sucker for a great campaign but I'm appreciating games adding a mode that's pure gameplay more and more. A great way to continue enjoying a game after you're through with the story etc.

Now to get to work on some more of those OpenFeint achievements.

7. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    on sale - 99 cents!

The full version of Karate Fighter is on sale for a limited time, to celebrate the release of Kung Fu Challenge. "Kung Fu Challenge" is a free self-contained game encapsulating the new survival mode of Karate Fighter.

8. perks

perks New Member

Feb 18, 2010
  9. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Karate Fighter 3.0

I'm pleased to announce that Apple just approved a Karate Fighter 3.0 update.
    It's largely a cosmetic update, with new icon, crisper pixel art, retro styled text, and color cycling on special effects.

Karate Fighter is based on NES kungfu but includes additional stages/bosses and a crazy hard survival mode.

10. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I just tried this game. Pretty good. Love that someone brought back some NES Kung-Fu to iOS. The controls are a bit rough though. I can't find a style I can use effortlessly. I'm picturing something like Street Fighter-esque d-pad control. Ideally, we shouldn't have to take our fingers off the screen to perform any type of jump or duck.

Any plans on modifying the control pad?

11. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Icade support has been requested, and will be added as soon as I pick one up.

About onscreen controls the "dpad r" and "dpad l" options were added for this purpose. If there is any specific functional or visual change you'd like made to them, just let me know.

Personally, for getting good scores in survival mode, I by far am best with the default control scheme.

12. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    It seems like the "buttons" on the d-pad are too far apart. I miss the buttons constantly. You almost have to physically take your finger off the screen to move. Sorry, it just isn't working for me…perhaps I am the only one. Any other options you would suggest?

13. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    The virtual dpad option was added because of some players that asked for one back when the app was first released (scroll back earlier in the thread for history). I'm sure the dpad layout could be tweaked to make it better (for example, there's probably too much dead space in the middle), but on the other hand I really don't think dpads are an ideal choice for games like this on a touch screen.

With the default control scheme, I've won Karate Fighter on black belt difficulty without taking a hit.

Recommended technique:
    - hold right or left to advance
    - swipe up to jump
    - to crouch, I usually just press one of the dedicated crouching attack buttons.

The key advantage of the default control layout is that you can turn around, crouch, and attack with a single button press.

Your mileage may vary, and as with any game like this I'd encourage folk to try the lite before grabbing full version.

Take it easy,
    Phil

14. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    An update for one of my oldest iPhone apps, Karate Fighter, has just been approved. Changes include:
    - support for newer devices: iPhone5, iPhone6, iPhone6+
    - 3d backgrounds updated with retina resolution textures
    - MFI support
    - icade support

Enjoy!