Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Capone, Nov 16, 2010.

1. kspes

kspes Active Member

Dec 9, 2010
    what would you recommend for controls? we payed a lot of attention to touch controls, I think everyone will be satisfied

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Touch controls seem to be standard for the genre. It's whether or not they're done well that makes the difference. I've played many of the PC->iOS ports of point-and-click adventure games and some of them are almost unplayable due to the controls. If you guys have paid a lot of attention to them, then maybe I'm just worrying needlessly.

3. kspes

kspes Active Member

Dec 9, 2010
    can you give me an example of a good port and an example of a bad port so I can try these games out and check them out, just to be sure we're on the right track ;)

4. Duss321

Duss321 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Good: Broken sword directors cut and broken sword the smoking mirror. Both games have excelent touch controls. Same goes for newer point and click games like hector and city of secrets.

Bad: monkey island. Because you use a mouse cursor which can be hard to control at the bottem of the screen. Also you have to select every action seperatly. i.e. look, go to, pick up, use, talk, give, pull etc. While the games mentioned above as good does that all with one touch/click.

Simon the sorcerer: uses both, touch and cursor to switch between.
    But to be honest for me it's about the story not controls.

5. kspes

kspes Active Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Haha, those are exactly the games we used as guidelines for our touch interface in Kaptain Brawe :) It's very similar to broken sword and nowhere near monkey island 1. although monkey island 2 has good controls imho.

---
    Krešimir Špes
    Cateia Games

6. Duss321

Duss321 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    ok, well good to know. :)
    Was going to play it anyways.
    As i mentioned above, i find the story more important then the controls on point and click games.

Any news on the release date for iphone/ipod touch yet?
    And will it be available for 3rd gen ipod?

thx in advance.

7. kspes

kspes Active Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I cant make any announcements about the release date, but it won't be long ;)

as for the devices, all apple devices with iOS 3.x+ will be supported, yes, that means the original iphone as well. the game runs very well on the old devices as well as the new ones :)
    ---
    Krešimir Špes
    Cateia Games

8. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Hmm, I'll have to think about a good one. Most of the ones I remember playing were subpar at best. I think the best ones I've seen were iOS originals designed with the touch screen in mind. The worst I've probably seen was Inherit the Earth. I played (and finished) the game years ago on the PC, and when playing the iPhone version, even doing simple tasks like opening doors or walking around the village were troublesome.

I remember one thing that bothered me a lot with the controls in some of the games was that it wouldn't remember which command you chose between actions. So if I picked "look at" and I wanted to look at a series of objects, I would have to re-choose the command in order to look at all of them. Combine this with the inaccurate cursor and it just became a headache to do anything in the games.

9. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
  10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
  11. kspes

kspes Active Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yup, took us a while, but I guarentee you won't be dissapointed with Kaptain Brawe for iOS devices ;)

---
    Krešimir Špes
    Cateia Games

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Congratulations on the forthcoming release. I'll be picking it up as soon as it comes out.