iPad Kaloki Adventure is Out

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jecebn, May 8, 2009.

1. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    #1 jecebn, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    [app]Kaloki Adventure[/app] has been released - $1.99

There is also a lite version available [app]Kaloki Free[/app]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
  3. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    This looks like that game that came out early on XBL Arcade... I don't remember the name.

4. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    WOW seems amazing! Has anyone played it?

5. #5 armaankhan, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    Oh man, I was resisting purchasing any more apps because I'm leaving for summer training next week (which means no access to iPods, internet, or anything similar for eleven weeks), but I just might have to pick this up as a last minute purchase.

Looks like it's not exactly the same as the XBLA version, though. The description says to look out for Kaloki Love and Kaloki War, so it seems that they split it up into chunks for release on the iPhone.

6. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I recalled it, it was called Outpost Kaloki X. Same developer.
    Here's a link to a review of the the XBL Arcade game. 7.9/10

7. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Just bought it, really liked the lite version.

8. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Im really liking this game so far. I tried the lite version and ended up buying the full version - its kind of like a 3d build-a-lot game that takes place in space.

9. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Outpost Kaloki is really good, I think i'll buy this.

10. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Hey Filthy, off topic but when you did include that sig?

11. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Last night, same time as Bat and Rocket.

12. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Lol, I just saw the ones for Bat and Rocket. I wonder if she'll come up with one for me. :rolleyes:

13. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

wow this is quite fun. i got the lite and im considering getting the full

14. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Wow! I had no idea they were working on this. I've always been interested in Outpost Kaloki. Part way through the Lite version and it's terrific. Definitely added to my list to purchase.

15. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #15 Big Albie, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    Review: Kaloki Adventure a fun, upbeat tycoon game

Whether or not you’re like the simulation/tycoon genre, Kaloki Adventure successfully brings a light-hearted approach to the iPhone/iPod Touch platform. Designed originally for the Xbox, Kaloki is fun, almost cartoony and very upbeat where you can easily lose yourself in this easy-to-learn game. The devs did an admirable job infusing this with personality in a way that isn’t overwhelming.

In Kaloki, you play the role of a space station manager whose job is to meet the needs of customers from around the universe, while financially growing the station. For every satisfied customer, money is earned that can be used to build and upgrade ports. Of course, you have to manage other things such as rising energy costs and maintaining a positive satisfaction rating. The customers range from demanding alien scholars and gossip mongers to business traders and industry spies.

Kaloki has 14 chapters with 6 bonus open-ended scenarios presented in a slick, 3D environment with a jazzy soundtrack. Each chapter has objectives such as constructing a certain number of structures, evolving a business to a certain stage or earning a specific amount of money all of which must be accomplished within a limited time frame. A brief instruction page is included in the Help section, but it won’t tell you much other than you have to earn money to build more…seriously. Fortunately, the devs didn’t skimp on the graphics because the engine used in Kaloki runs very smoothly, providing a 360-degree view of the station with a simple drag of the finger. In an ideal world, a pinch zoom function would have been included similar to what is found in tower defense games, but alas, I’m being nitpicky.

The first three chapters are tutorials designed to provide a feel for the gameplay and to develop familiarity with the various expansion objects and bonuses. You have a personal advisor named Cindi and as well as your boss aptly name The Boss who both appear at the beginning of each chapter in the form of dialogue boxes to provide tips and objectives. Keep in mind that the first three chapters, which ironically make up the free lite version, are just a tease because the game significantly becomes more difficult in later chapters.

Kaloki requires fast thinking as you would expect, and offers an intuitive in-play layout. However, as I mentioned, the game lacks in terms of instructions or clarifying what everything does. A trophy icon appears on the left-hand side of the screen where each chapter’s objectives are listed and can be accessed at any time during the game. A Hand icon below it pauses the game. On the right-hand side, a console provides key information including: Money Earned, Energy Usage, Timer, and Customer Satisfaction ratings. At the bottom of the screen is a bar that shows customers in line or approaching the station with their needs and satisfaction levels stated. You can also view the location of the customer in relation to the space station by tapping on them.

When you begin the game, the station is virtually a chunk of metal with empty nubs and ports. Simply tap on an open port, and a window appears showing available structures with important information such as cost, energy usage, and expected revenue per customer. During construction, a bar illustrating progress appears over the relevant port. Once something is built, you can tap each to view profitability, energy use, and condition as well as customization options. This is also where you can sell structures, which will come in handy when you’re upgrading. As you progress, you also earn expansion packs, which are new structures available to you such as the Spy Training Center, History Hall of Records, and The Space Observatory among others. Because the game uses a tab layout to categorize information, the buttons can be small for some. It is fairly intuitive once you understand it, and the game is relatively easy to interact with from the start..

One of my complaints with Kaloki is the small buttons, and while they don’t impact my experience, they can be a problem for those with larger fingers. The lack of directions is another area where the game unexpectedly falls short, although you do receive tips on the fly from Cindi and The Boss. Also, visually, the 3D environments and space vehicles can be a little boxy in appearance...think Bizarro world.

Those new to sim/tycoon-type games will appreciate the cartoon-like environment of Kaloki, while those who are more experienced will enjoy the smooth and challenging gameplay. At least give the lite version a try, and when you’re ready, buy the full version currently offered at an intro price until the end of the month.

Albie Meter: 4 stars (out of 5)—recommended for current and wannabe tycoons

16. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    As a fan of the extremely small 'Space Station simultation/tycoon genre' I was ecstatic to see this port on the iPhone. I played the Lite version and before finishing the third level, I bought the full version.

Nicely done review BigAlbie.

> The first three chapters are tutorials designed to provide a feel for the
    > gameplay and to develop familiarity with the various expansion objects and

I think it's important to point out that, though these may be called Tutorials, they are by no means simple hand-holding. They feel like a true and complete level within the game.

>Keep in mind that the first three chapters, which ironically make up the free
    > lite version, are just a tease because the game significantly becomes more

If my memory is correct, the Lite version actually had even simpler levels. Adding one lemonade stand vs. adding three stands in the full version. I am not saying this against the review, but to point out that even the first few levels in the Lite version seem to be a tease as the full game has what feels to be more complete levels.

> However, as I mentioned, the game lacks in terms of instructions or
    > clarifying what everything does.

So true. This is the one place I kept scratching my head. When the goals ask you to add a certain structure, I was sometimes left confused as to which technology branch it was from. As the item is not always listed until AFTER you have certain other technology. So I just started taking a guess. It would be nice to have some sort of full tech tree.

One complaint I have is with the nodes. I sometimes find it difficult to click on a node. I noticed if you have the node directly centered on the screen, it's not a problem. It's when the node is off center that the clicking point is off.

The story adds to the game and has some good humor mixed in.

Another complaint is that it does not appear I can replay a previous level. How do you try to improve your score? Or am I missing something. Did I overlook something or do I have to replay the entire game?

There are three save slots! Yay for save slots!

The game is extremely enjoyable. It's perfect for me. The 3D graphics are extremely smooth. And, yes, like BigAlbie mentioned, I still sometimes pinch the screen in hopes it will zoom in/out.

17. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #17 Big Albie, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    Nice and very valid points SSquared :)

As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to go back and replay a certain chapter to build up reserves, which can add a certain degree of challenge to the game. But the save slots definitely come in handy.

I had the same problem with finding the "next technology" because it's not presented in a straightforward manner. Initially, I didn't know where to go, and just started tapping around.

18. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    > As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to go back and replay a certain chapter

Bummer. I would like to replay levels to attempt Gold, or at least Silver medals. Looks like you have to replay through the entire game.

Has anyone spent time with the Sandbox mode? Is it pure freeform or is there any challenge to it? It would be fun to have random events. Or have scenario objectives (make $xxxx within 20 minutes, or serve X number of spaceships within 15 minutes).

I need to move the game to my front page. I am enjoying it very much. Well worth it.

19. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    The sandbox modes are really various scenarios from the story mode except without time limits or specific mission objectives. The overall objective is to see how big you can expand your space station.

20. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest