iPad Just tested various roms in the "Sonic the Hedgehog" game via "rom.bin" swap....

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by postalp, May 22, 2009.

1. postalp

postalp Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    It works! Simply rename the rom to "rom.bin" and SSH it in.

Tried:

Sonic 2
    Golden Axe
    Altered Beast

All worked flawlessly (aside from having only 1 button) but they ran at full speed with NO stuttering of the sound, which is normally an indicator of an optimized emulator.

The only quirk I saw was when Sonic 2 ran through its "demo play" the graphics were screwed up and scrambled, but when I started it and played, worked great.

Now I dont mean to piss on SEGA, but I can see some hacker modding this code to make a wicked fullspeed Genesis emulator for the iphone.

2. postalp

May 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Just tried Gunstar Heroes, got a message:

"Developed for use only with PAL and French SECAM Megadrive Systems"

Damn....

So im guessing that its limited to domestic games.....and 1 button :p

3. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Interesting, hopefully someone will hack this official 'emulator' to support multiple buttons, and more games. genesis4iphone isn't a bad emulator but it'd be great to run games at full speed with sound.

4. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Maybe you can try a not Pal rom for Gunstar heroes, try a us version

5. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    So it runs other games better than the one it is suppose to emulate?

Hilarious!

6. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    not to sound like a dullard...
    but how do you that?

7. postalp

May 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Im pretty sure it will work, the point is once someone with code-writing skills gets thier hands on this, I foresee a nifty genesis emulator incoming. SEGA cant close this pandora's box.

Kinda ironic how in pursuit for the best genesis emulator, SEGA itself in the end provided it.

8. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    +1. That all went right over my head:eek:

9. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Well, this thread is going to get locked soon, but what I found interesting is that instead of creating an iPhone/iPod Touch game, they just created an emulator and slapped a rom in it. So any other game they release at five bucks is pure profit because none of their other games will have any production cost.

Fascinating.

10. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    As nice as that would be, it is not really possible. Just because you have the end executable does not mean you have the source code. It is extremely difficult to reverse engineer a source file, let alone try to decipher how it was built and what other files it calls or uses. I have a feeling Zodttd (creator of many iPhone emulators) will be studying this for sure, but it will not be as easy as just dropping the executable into a new emulator.

I tried Vectorman and it crashed, along with Sonic 3...so not all games are working, at least for me.

11. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Do you need a jailbroken iphone to do this, or is there some way to do it with the regular system?

Can you rename the emulator so as to have multiple roms on the phone at the same time?

Can you change the icon?

I wasn't going to buy Sonic, but I would buy it if I could play multiple games.

Frankly, if Sega came out with a best of collection for $20, I would buy that too. I did when they came out with the PSP version, so why wouldn't I get it for the iphone.

12. postalp

May 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    SSH into your iphone (assuming its jailbroken) then look in:

"USER > APPLICATIONS > ######### > SONIC 1.app"

In the folder is the actual game itself in rom form, unsuprisingly named...."rom.bin".

Simply find a rom of another game (you'll have to find your own rom resource sry) and rename it "rom.bin" overwrite the original, voila'.

Start it up and witness the magic.

13. postalp

May 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    I totally agree with you, I believe Zodttd stated that the reason for the stuttering/slowness in his emulators was related to how the touch controls were hogging resources (aside from the iphone OS), maybe in studying this code he could recognize some efficiencies he missed.

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Fascinating, yes...and the very reason why I railed against Sega doing only this after one year of singing the iTouch/Phone platform's praises.

It's a good idea in terms of business, but sheer lazy cowardice creatively.

And anyone who thought it was to be any different other than an emulator running a rom was fooling themselves. Sega has been doing this since the days they had officially emulated releases for PC and Dreamcast. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the emulator used to run this game isn't a modified version of the one they used for the Sega Smash Pack on Dreamcast.

In fact, the issues that some here are raising with the rom files are the same issues some had with the hacked Smash Pack all those years ago (they hacked the Smash Pack to run other games).

Shame that Sega could've done this AND given us new content. But Sega...Sega doesn't seem like Sega anymore. :(

15. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    hope thsi thread isnt locked, emulation has such a massive potential and whether or not sega realise it, theyve opened up a massive can of worms here!

anyways, there is a perfect PC sega emulator, for master system, genesis and saturn roms out there in the public domain. loads everything ya chuck at it. not going to give away its name, should be an easy find ;) but true emulation for this system isnt difficult at all.

16. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

We just talked about this one our podcast, but, It would be cool that when 3.0 comes out. Sega jsut makes an app called Sega Flashback, and you can use micropayments to buy roms.

17. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Honestly (and this is just my opinion)

Porting Sonic this way, without changing practically anything, is a one-man job. I mean, honestly, with Sonic being one of SEGA's most RECOGNIZABLE names... why didn't they make more effort?

My iPod is already jailbroken... I've downloaded various emulators and whatnot.

Why would anyone pay for this? Especially if you own it on the original console (like I do)

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Not really. It doesn't emulate Sonic the Hedgehog. It emulates Sega Genesis/MegaDrive hardware, and runs the Sonic rom on the emulated hardware.

The issue is that back in those games a lot of the Sega games were developed in assembler, and used various aspects of the hardware that may make for differences in difficulty running on the emulator.

Again, the issues some have raised lead me to suspect this is a reworked version of the emulator used in the Sega Smash Pack.

19. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Cause not all people have their devices jailbroken.....

20. postalp

May 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Or just but the Sega Flashback app and supply your own roms...