Universal Just Ski (by Farseer Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JeffWeber, May 10, 2017.

1. Ubu

Ubu Member

Jan 21, 2011
    As others have intimated, this game is a kind of "simulation in an arcade package": it *looks* like an arcade game, but the precision jumping seems more consistent with a sports sim.

That said, its realism is very selective, and I find myself wishing that some other aspects of the game were marginally more realistic:

(a) It seems odd that a tuck sustains speed essentially the same as standing straight up with your arms above your head. Could skiing stock straight slow you down?
    (b) The relative absence of friction on the flats seems odd. I feel I should be slowing down a bit....
    (c) Likewise, I feel there should be "pushing off" in order to speed up, particularly on the flats. If you pump your thumb up and down you could be pushing off with your poles and speeding up. The ability to push off with your poles would mean you might have a way to "escape" if you get stuck in a bowl.

Thanks for considering. Enjoying the game (kind of)...although agreed the checkpoints are needed!

2. JeffWeber

JeffWeber Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback UBU. That's quite the list. :) I will consider your suggestions, but no promises.

3. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    I beat the game! Who else has beaten it?

4. JeffWeber

5. JeffWeber

According to my stats only a very select few have made it to the end.

6. daniel0025

daniel0025 New Member

Dec 18, 2014
    I liked the soundtrack on the trailer. Is the music made for the game or is it from a band? Thanks in advance

7. JeffWeber

I had the music made for the trailer, but I actually just contacted her today to ask if she could make a looping version. I'm thinking of adding it as ambient music during game-play.

8. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Seriously struggling with this one. I'd class myself as a reasonably competent games having been one since the ZX Spectrum days, but this is sadly pushing the frustration button for me.

Spent some 30-40 minutes on it now & got perhaps 6 jumps in.

I've played other skiing games on iOS but the physics here don't feel consistent enough for me to learn. One time my guy spins at a rate which I can anticipate, another time on the same jump there's just no knowing. I thin I understand that my launch is as much a part as my spin & land, but it feels like the opening scenes should be more forgiving & allow the player to grasp the basics.

9. JeffWeber

Hey FuZion.

I think it may take a bit longer than 30 to 40 minutes to really get good.. It really takes a while to get the muscle memory/feel for the rotation. I'd suggest just keeping it on your phone and coming back to it once in a while. Don't try to learn it all in one shot... to frustrating that way.
    The rotation off the jump is only as accurate as your swiping thumb however, you should be able to adjust your rotation for the landing even if the rotation off the jump varies. Hard to describe but you will eventually just start to do it intuitively.

I assume you saw my tutorial vid above?

Anyway, I'll understand if you decide to move on. Thanks for giving it an honest try.

-Jeff

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I like a lot of things about this game but I am going to stop playing it until the checkpoint system is implemented. Is that going to be updated in the future?

11. JeffWeber

Hey coolpepper43.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to add a checkpoint system. A lot of people want it and a lot of people don't want it. I'm on the fence.

I totally understand if your sick of restarting. It's brutal I know. I'd suggest keeping it on your phone and giving it a go every once in a while... but of course I'd say that. :)

If I decide to do checkpoints it won't be in the first update... that'll just be simple UI updates.

What does everyone else think? Checkpoints or no checkpoints?

-Jeff

12. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    I did yeah, it was the tutorial that made me buy.

You're still installed, I'll see how I feel in about a week. I'm cool with feeling the progression in my own skills (dammit, I play Elite Dangerous & that game really likes yo piss on your parade), but these days time is of essence.

13. lukaMis

lukaMis Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Checkpoints +1

14. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    #94 misfitskater6, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Just beat it by crash sliding to the end, now to do it crashless! Great game, lots of fun playing with the physics. I found it easiest to double backflip most of the jumps so you can straighten out mid flight to slow the rotation and then crouch as needed to rotate into the landing.

Any further updates planned for the game? Would be happy to pay for more courses!

I vote no on checkpoints, the game isn't that long so checkpoints would make it seem even shorter if you don't have to start at the beginning.

15. DarkScience

DarkScience Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Checkpoints for sure. In need to feel like I'm getting somewhere and need to see more of the place. Not just the same but again and again!

16. 80Frac

80Frac New Member

May 26, 2017
    engineering student
    Bath
    I really like it, it reminds me of Alto's Adventure

17. lboldham

lboldham Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 14, 2015
    My vote would be no checkpoints. If you stick with it, you can slowly advance. I'm getting close or to the end every few tries now.

Regarding the end, can you make it there without crashing at the final spot?
    What does the numbers (29) or (26/29) mean at the top left corner when you finish?

Awesomely fun game! Very well done!!

18. JeffWeber

Congrats on making it to the end. After you make it to the end "crashless", you can try to make it doing only front flips. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Still not sure on the checkpoint thing, feedback is about 50/50 right now. I don't have immediate plans for a new course, but it's something I'd love to add a some point.

-Jeff

19. JeffWeber

Thanks for the feedback, DarkScience.

20. JeffWeber

Hey lboldham,

Yes you can make it without crashing. That last jump should be a breeze given what you had to go through to get there.

Those numbers at the end represent the number of flips you did. The game keeps track of back flips, front flips, and combined flips. The numbers in parenthesis is your best score for each.

A good thing to try after beating the game with back flips is to beat it again using only front flips.

Thanks for playing, glad you like the game.