Universal Just Ski (by Farseer Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JeffWeber, May 10, 2017.

1. XxkronosxX

XxkronosxX Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Student
    Springfield
    Is this the new desert golfing? (An endless mode would be amazing with procedurally generated levels)

2. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    New best for me. Woo

Attached Files:

3. JeffWeber

JeffWeber Well-Known Member

The opening experience was definitely inspired by Desert Golfing. Endless would be cool but would be hard working with the physics controls. Might have some messy landings. :)

-Jeff

4. JeffWeber

Nice.. you are getting so close!

5. XxkronosxX

XxkronosxX Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Student
    Springfield
    #45 XxkronosxX, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Cool! This could end up being a really great game.Also, does that mean it's coming...?

6. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I've never played a game like this where landing feels so good. I can't really think of a better simple mechanic that emulates pro level skiing so well. Like everyone else I'm used to being able to just tap to flip or even adjust rotation direction in mid-air. This, this just feels so right. Hard as balls but it feels great.

7. JeffWeber

Sorry endless won't be coming to Just Ski... would have to be another game.

-Jeff

8. JeffWeber

Thanks! This mechanic comes from a very old abandoned game called Ski Stunt Simulator. I've been making games with this mechanic in one form or another for a lot of years. Good to hear someone else appreciates it the way I do.

Good luck with the game and thanks for playing.

-Jeff

9. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Although the game is very hard it's also equally fun to play. If there is no endless mode how far do you have to travel before the game ends? A portrait mode would be nice if you could add it.

10. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I'm having trouble grasping the jumping mechanic. Sometimes I spin super fast, sometimes my rotation is so slow I can't recover and am doomed the second I leave the ground. Any tips?

11. Just Ski (By Farseer Games LLC) - IOS Ipad Gameplay

Guy, in case you are wondering what the gameplay looks like. You can check my video below. BTW this game is very cool you may compare it to altos adventure but it just ski is most challenging than alto. Highly recommended game

12. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Rotation speed is dictated by stance. If you're fully upright you will rotate slowly, fully crouched and you're a whirling dervish.
    Remember, there's a full range of adjustment between the two extremes.

13. JeffWeber

The sky starts out black... it will start to turn red, then orange, yellow, green, blue, purple.. and back to black. Once it turns back to black you are very close to the end. :)

The moon/sun will keep track of how far you are. So, if your moon/sun is red you have a ways to go, if green you are about 1/2 way... etc.

-Jeff

14. JeffWeber

Some tips were posted earlier in this thread:

Mostly you just need to work on controlling your spin in the air by crouching to spin faster and extending to spin slower. It takes some time...

Hope that helps.

15. MoHeyNow

MoHeyNow Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Holy hell! My excitement for this game is disapating quick having to start at the same place everytime and barely getting to orange on over 40 runs. And this is coming from a guy who completed Krashlander on elite twice...

Can I suggest maybe and option for the controls of Krashlander or maybe checkpoints closer together? I'm afraid I'm not going to stick with it long enough to get the hang of it out of frustration

16. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    If you go from crouch to standing fast, the crouch again, you rotate faster.

If you go from crouch to standup and stay like that, you rotate slower

And the more 'level' you are, when jumping (crouch=>stand), the less you also rotate

17. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Might not be the case for you but I was similarly frustrated and on the verge of calling it a day and then it just clicked.

I'm still only getting to green but I get it now. Once you're there it's still pretty rugged but the frustration fades and the (fun) challenge sets in.

Stick with it; it's great.

18. JeffWeber

What seems to be the hardest part of the controls for you? If you've finished Krash on elite twice this game should be peanuts although I have a had a few other Krash players say they had trouble with the controls. Maybe it's because you're just to used to the more complex Krash controls.

One thing to make sure of is that you are keeping your thumb in the vertical range depicted by the little green dot on the start screen. Don't slide up and down the entire screen, stick near the bottom portion.

Besides that, use smooth swipes to get some spin off the jump, then slowly start adjusting your spin to line up for the landing.

Sorry for the frustration... hope it clicks for you before you rage-quit. :)