Universal Just Ski (by Farseer Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JeffWeber, May 10, 2017.

1. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I'm happy that I bought it but yes, this game won't last long on my iphone, it's far too frustrating than I could have imagined. It feels much more like luck than skills, it's a great little game but too frustrating to my point of view.

2. JeffWeber

JeffWeber Well-Known Member

I know if feels like luck at the beginning, but trust me it won't feel like that after you put some time into it.

I think it was put best by someone who told me the game is almost as hard as real skiing. This is somewhat true. It requires you to develop some muscle memory and that takes time. Once you do, though, it's very rewarding.

Thanks for playing.

-Jeff

3. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Stick with it folks, it's juuuust starting to click for me. Maybe it will for you.

4. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ha! Yes, definitely getting it.

2 important things.

1.) Once you kick off a jump, stay fully upright until you can see how the jump is panning out. Speed up your spin as late as possible to tweak the landing.

2.) Remember that your stance is analog, not just upright or crouched. You can use this to perfect your rotation speed. Sounds obvious; vitally important.

Beginning to love it. Still frustrating as......

5. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Lover crashlander, so downloading now :)

6. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    love this game<3

7. vonknut

Dec 5, 2013
    #27 vonknut, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Got to orange after 3 minutes.
    Hard but not impossible

Remember:

Crouch just before landing, reduces the chance of tipping (your point of gravity is lower).

If you crouch the stand up when jumping, you will spinn depending on your trajectory. So stand up atcthe right time (eg while almost level) to spin slower.

Keep standing up while in air, unless you can see that your gonna land on your head. - then crouch to start spinning more

Final tip - saving grace
    If you topple, but does not fall of your skies - try to crouch-stand-crouch-stand quickly. Even though the 'retry arrow' appeas as soon as you head hits the snow, you keep going. And you migh end up un your skis again and can continue

8. vonknut

Dec 5, 2013
    Feature request:

Maybe not checkpoints, but about something like - start 2 jumps back from where you died.
    Then if you fail to much, you actually starts further and further back untill back atcthe starting point.

And

10-20% longer skies (unlock?) i often falls, just after making a jump, or when not landing perfectly, so to inertia.
    And also sometimes when i land fin while upright, them crouch too fast.

9. JeffWeber

Very well put! Glad to see you are getting it.

10. JeffWeber

Will add these to my list of requests... Your not the first to want some form of checkpoint-ish system.

11. JeffWeber

Some Tips/Notes I Posted on Twitter:

• -The background color changes as you progress. The sun color represents your furthest distance.
    • -Keep your thumb roughly in the vertical range shown by the green dot on start screen. Don't swipe all the way up the screen. Horizontally, thumb can be anywhere.
    • -You can also do front flips - Stand up going into jump then swipe down. Get a bit more distance this way. Careful though if you jump to far you risk landing on flat ground and losing some momentum.
    • -For the most part, keep your thumb on the screen. Taking it off and re-touching can cause the skier to move quickly and crash.

Hope these help someone.

Thanks for playing!

12. lukaMis

lukaMis Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I wanna like this game so much but.. I mean i love how it looks and feels but is so damm hard.
    One would expect zen like game with visuals like that but it is quite the opposite. Brutal and unforgiving!
    Been playing it since yesterday in random bursts and haven't been past orange colour yet and to make matters worst the longest run feels like stroke of dumb luck. :eek:

13. JeffWeber

I feel for you. I wish I could see how you are playing to see if you are doing anything wrong. Probably not... just takes time.

And I agree, the simple look is a bit misleading. :) Maybe need a zen mode. :)

14. JeffWeber

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who's tried the game so far. Made it to #28 in Games\Sports so far.

Very much appreciated!

[​IMG]

15. lukaMis

lukaMis Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Feature request! :)
    Congrats for 28 place.

16. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    There should be a practice mode where you can slow down the gameplay as much as you want. Guitar Hero (or Rock Band?) used to have this feature, and it was a godsend for mastering difficult mechanics.

I actually wish more games did this. Racing games, for instance. You could really learn the ins & outs of cornering and drifting if you could just slow things down and take your time to study the physics of what's happening.

17. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Well despite my previous comment about probably deleting this and it being frustrating I've found myself picking this up time and time again. I'm still not getting any further than yellow but I get this urge to keep picking it up and having another try. It won't beat me.
    Some kind of endless or random mode would still be nice and I'll stick with my original feedback as you'll probably lose quite a few people with that original difficulty and frustration. But for me it's got me hooked somehow.

18. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Edit. Argh just made it further. My moon is now green.

19. JeffWeber

This is a good idea. Making a note.

20. JeffWeber

Green is really good so nice job. Agree easing player in better would have been nice.