Just read Superman Birthright and think it could be adapted as pt 1 of a trilogy.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Oct 23, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://hotfile.com/dl/77873282/747e53d/Birthright.rar.html

[​IMG]

I'm not really a comic book reader, I only really know the standout books and get most of my info from the animated series, but this was recommended by a lot of people as something that should be adapted. As an avid movie fan that likes to read source material I finally read it and I wholeheartedly agree.

I think it's a great way of going over the Superman origin mythos without the typical origin story retread. Instead of the whole movie merely being boring cliffnotes of a pre Superman era, it decides to use the origin to help frame Superman finding a legacy to uphold.

The first couple chapters are about Clark wandering around the globe talking to different inspirational leaders trying to find out what makes them tick. There isn't any hand wringing about "omg how do I help people", he's just trying to figure out how to do it that maximizes his potential.

[​IMG]

There are a lot of moments I think would be cinema worthy. First off, contrary to standard origin movies where the hero is reduced to unseen mischievous helping of people before he puts on the uniform, Clark is out in the action brawling, he just moves too fast for anyone to spot him.

Second, Superman's actions actually matter. Similar to the Chris Nolan Batman movies, the hero isn't simply in a fistfight with a villain in their own vacuum while civilians dodge flying wreckage. Superman's action actually AFFECT and MATTER to everyone, which is the point of a superhero in the first place.

[​IMG]

Third, there's a lot of potential for "magic moments" that push a good movie into a great film. For example I'm thinking of the ending, which I think could be adapted into a montage similar to the ending of The Dark Knight.

Imagine a ending montage where Abena is inaugarated as a leader, sees Superman flying around and smiles, Superman destroying the last remnants of Kryptonite once and for all, Ma and Pa Kent seeing their son succeed, Clark and Lois in the office, Superman giving Lois his first interview, citizens starting to trust Superman for the first time, and Superman's parents sending off young Kalel in the rocket and then shockingly seeing a grown up Superman telling them "he made it".

[​IMG]

There can also be tie ins for the next movie. I'm thinking Abena could later become a head of state that is one of the few world leaders willing to help Superman when the UN turns their back on him for whatever reason.

Also the Kryptonian timestream viewer could be used by Braniac or Darkseid to track Superman to earth.

[​IMG]

The only thing there would be trouble adapting is Lex. I think they did a great job with his story in the book, but I'm freaking tired of seeing Lex in the movies. The villain would have to be someone else who gains access to the Krptonian tech and wants to discredit Superman. Also has to be someone to give Superman a hell of a ****ing fight.

So take a look. :)

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I havent read this but I love the art. I dont know if you have been following the new Supes movie though, but rumor has it they are going for a middle aged Superman and a person who has already been doing this for a while, so this story might be SOL.

3. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Birthright was okay. It was trying to "Smallville"-ize the cannon Superman comic book mythos without destroying continuity. Did a pretty good job of it, IMHO.

The problem with Lex in the movies NOW, as I see it, is that it's old school, pre-Crisis (look up Crisis on Infinite Earths, btw) Lex Luthor. Criminal mastermind Lex (as brilliantly played by Hackman in the earlier flicks, and less aptly played by Spacey in Superman Returns).

Post-Crisis Lex, though, should DEFINITELY be in whatever retcon their doing. Mainstream movie audiences haven't really seen that Lex. Pre-Crisis Lex stock comic book villain "criminal genius" getting involved in wacky schemes (like the sink-the-coast-for-real-estate-sales schemes). Post-Crisis Lex? Introduced in the 1980s during the bull market, he was a villain of the times: think Gordon Gecko from Wall Street mixed with Michael Corleone from The Godfather (specifically The Godfather II) mixed with just a little of Frank White from The King of New York. This was evil businessman Lex, and he was as charismatic as he was slimey.

Pre-Crisis Lex was best exemplified by Hackman's portrayal of a wacky villain who was deviously intelligent but lived in a secret lair in the Metropolis subway system. Post-Crisis Lex is best exemplified in Superman: The Animated Series. Same devious intelligence, but this Lex lives in LexCorp towers, runs and owns multinational corporations, deals weapons and stuff to the US military AND on the blackmarket, and, in his own words "...own(s) Metropolis and everyone in it". Supes response? "You don't own ME".

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I heard they were simply looking for an older looking actor to play Superman, as opposed to Routh who looked like a teenager with a red towel stuck down the back of his shirt.

5. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

You put way too much time thinking about this.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    How so?