Just finished Rolando, somewhat Dissapointed

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Monopoly, Dec 20, 2008.

1. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    But there so tempting ;)
    I think Im going to stay away from Rolando for now...

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

support the dev?? They are making $7 for every sale. And its in the Top 20 in the App Store. I don't see the point on this one.

3. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    yeah. someone finally gets my point

4. lazyrawr

lazyrawr Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I look at it this way. If i'm going to buy a new PC game (or xbox etc.) I almost never make that purchase based on the hype built around the game. "Mirrors Edge" for example. I was the number 1 fan, could not wait for that game to release. Then the demo hit and i was ecstatic. "OMG best game ever, I c'ant wait".........Then the game came out and i ran out to buy it right away. Who needs reviews? I KNEW this game would rock.

Yeah i was way wrong. way way wrong.

The point is that rarely does a game get me so excited that i disregard my better judgment and make a full priced purchase. And when i do, i'm generally disappointed.

In the case of Rolando, i had high hopes. And it does look great, but not $10 omg best game ever great. It gets credit for bringing validity to iphone from someone other than EA, but it doesn't get my money.

For my time and money, the small fun games like BLAST!, Das Boot, and Blue Defense and are the win. I'll let everyone else test the expensive stuff.

5. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I'm not saying every developer needs to be supported. Obviously, only developers who DESERVE it. I want many more games with the same quality as Rolando, but if we don't support the people who developed these great games, then they wont waste their time making good quality games.

And the reason why we SHOULD care is because with the iphone most developers are indie and absolutely need the money. Thats why I care!

I'm a musician who spends hours just on a 2 minute song, to get the best sound possible. I sure as hell hope people care about the work I put into something.

6. brewstermax

I support devs, even if the game holds no interest to me, just to allow them to make more games that are great. I use Pangea as an example. I really like Nanosaur, so I bought Bugdom and Billy Frontier, both of which were horrible, but the money I gave may help them to make another Nanosaur-quality game.

7. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    First there was the Trism developer, who made lots of money out of nowhere. It got other people to develop for the iPlatform. Now there are some larger titles coming out for $9,99 and a lot of time has gone in to the production of these games. So developers have invested months of their time hoping that they can earn back their investment. I don't think it hurts of consumers also invest a bit and show that they'll be willing to pay for good, serious titles.

(Of course in the end I also only buy a game if I like it, why support a developer who makes games you don't like?)

And by the way, I'm halfway through Rolando now, I completely finished 16 levels, need diamonds/challenge time on another 4, and then there are 16 levels I didn't play yet.
    I'm enjoying the game and not rushing it, so it will take me well over 3 or 5 hours. :)
    Of course there are games like Snail Mail that will get me well over 5 hours for 1/5th of the $9,99 price tag, but then again Snail Mail is very cheap.

8. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Just remember people of the polish, not to mention the music which would of cost a great deal to of been made (Woot, Mr. Scruff :3). Longevity is something I constantly look at games for and hearing that this game lasts 3 hours well... pretty decent if you ask me for a £6 game although 4 or 5 hours would of been something I would have expected and especially with the simplified graphics the game uses.

9. brewstermax

I don't support devs who make games I don't like. Maybe they make a few bad ones, and one or two great ones. I'm going to get all of them so that they can make more great games, and see the iPhone as a viable platform.

10. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    u ppl are waisting money. here's a list of my position on ngmoco games:

topple - got for free
    fingermaze - free
    dr. awesome - will pay once they add touch controls
    dropship - not interested
    rolando - add more levels and i will buy

11. brewstermax

Wow, you really are picky.

12. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    You're wrong here, the game gets way too intricate for the use of touch controls. Play it and you might understand.

13. brewstermax

Please. I wish these people would play the game before they comment on it. It would solve most of the problems around here. Dropship is amazing, very retro, and Dr. Awesome is the best Qix game out there. Tilt is perfect for Dr. Awesome, and these people are clueless because they won't spend $.99 on a great game worth $5.

14. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Glad you are seeing the light of Rolando :p I really don't know where these 3hr gameplay numbers are coming from :confused: I'm only on the second world and I've easily put like 2-3 hrs in right now. I take my time with the game, only play a few levels at a time, and try to save all the Rolandos and find the diamonds as well. There is well over 10hrs of gameplay if you get all three medals on every level :cool:

15. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #55 dannys95, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    i dont like shooters at all, so that's why i dont like dropship.
    and i want touch controls for dr. awesome so i can play in bed and in couch.

16. brewstermax

The "shooter" is really a mission-based game, very little shooting involved. The second point is moot, as its impracical. And there isn't that much moving..

17. inkstar

inkstar Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Producer
    Iceland
    I am a director of development at a company called On The Rocks LLC.
    We have 6 large games in production and 1 small that is coming out very very soon.

Before I talk about that one "tiltafun" I will express my feeling of NGMOCO
    and their games.

Now... NgMoco are pioneers in the iPhone gaming market. Yes, Rolando is
    quite short for people that simply will not stop playing it until it has been
    finished and that is all fine and dandy but most people just play it every so
    often and enjoy it :)

The game has great use of the iPhone platform and its overall execution is
    really good in my opinion.

I feel that the hype it is getting is pretty over the top but I celebrate it.

Mobile Gaming has not had a signiture game yet... I hope Rolando will be its first signiture game because it will be GREAT for the community and the
    developers... Why? Because more and more people will realize that
    the iPhone and iPod Touch platforms are GREAT platforms for gaming ( and more ) and will switch from NDS and PSP to iPhone/iPod Touch, making it
    less of a risk to develop a huge game with quadrillion levels and thoughtful
    controls, level design and what not. There are soo many bootant and crap
    applications and games in the store because right now ( changing rapidly ) that is the least of the risk for the developers.

A small game will cost a developer ( that is trying to do well ) about $10K - $20K USD and will sell it for $2.99 - $4.99 and maybe get his money back and then some.

A game that would justify $9.99 will have a production cost of 10x the small game or about $100K - $200K USD.

Of course this is fragment of a console production but today it will be irresponsible for a company to make such a huge game UNLESS they
    have the financial backing and buffer zone to loose on the game or
    the ability to make their money on future games or in the long run.

Well... NGMOCO is really taking in talented developers, helping them
    make the games they are interested in the best they can be.

They are promoting not just the games they are publishing and producing, but they are promoting the platform.

Yes, if you wait long enough, all the games they have no will be free... its
    part of the plan for NGMOCO to continuously make games free once they have done their part in the evolution.

I am sure that NGMOCO will continue to do great things for the community,
    both consumer and developer wise.

I do understand the frustration that Rolando is short, easy and whatnot but
    you have the power as a consumer in this market, you are in control. If you
    feel you are swept away with hype and you really didn't enjoy the game, dont buy the next game, although I highly recommend Rolland and all the games by NGMOCO.

My company has games in development that we hope to "compete" in the
    quality of the best games and more.

The focus with the small game coming out has really been on the user end
    and although we see the youngest players enjoying this game more, we do
    enjoy it ourselves too.

We have 6 unique made songs for the game, tens of premium sound effects,
    Top graphic ( it wont get better than this ) and so much more.

we are putting much much more effort than we really need to into the game
    because we want people to see that if we put so much efford into such a small game, what will we do when we release our first big game :)

Currently we are shooting the Video of the game and we are shooting it
    on RED! www.red.com which is 4K ( HD is 1024 ) so we can really
    showcase the beautiful graphics and animation.

I wish I could show you guys more now but for now... here is a screenshot of the game menu.

[​IMG]

www.tiltafun.com

Regards
    Brynjar Gigja
    On The Rocks LLC
    Director of Development
    [email protected]

18. brewstermax

I heard about you all a while back..

19. inkstar

inkstar Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Producer
    Iceland
    how do you mean :)?

20. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London
    wow, you guys must have some money for this kind of promo!!! (i work as a tv editor so know about different formats) :D