Just a question I thought of

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Phil_Synowiec, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Ok so everyone knows how its legal to play roms as long as you own the original game. Would it be legal to play a ROM or Sonic or Streets of Rage on your computer if you only own the iPhone Version. Of course I own both of these on genesis, but Just a thought.

2. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Who announced that it was completely legal to download a ROM if you own the original game? That in itself is very disputed.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Better yet, who cares? The police aren't gonna come barging into your home just cuz you have an illegal version of The Golden Axe on your PC.

4. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    No, it would not, but what you should be asking yourself is this: Do you care?

It is almost impossible to be caught, and even if you are, there is no way a company would try to press charges or sue you for downloading and playing an ancient game. They spend their resources going after the people who upload their new games and run the sites that allow you to download the games.

If you have already payed the developers for the game, do you feel that you should be able to play it on a different system? If so, go for it. Personally, I don't think it is morally wrong at all to do so, especially if it isn't commercially available in that format anyway.

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Eh...they also are going after the ones that upload the older games too now, but your point is valid.

Iffy as I am (hey...spiffy is iffy on something :p) with the whole piracy thing (honestly...enough with the "sharing" nonsense...none of us has thousand or millions of friends), the fact is that the companies get the best result when they go after those that directly violate copyright: the uploaders. After all, what the uploaders are doing is in effect distributing copies of a product, and that's what copyright is supposed to protect (hence copy right).

Going after the individual downloaders is a bit like ATF and other government agencies going after individuals who buy illegal guns rather than the crews running the blackmarket gun trade. It really doesn't go after the issue at it's root.

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  7. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Usually people uploading older games just get cease and desists letters though.

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008