Jury reached a verdict in Apple vs. Samsung case

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by shero89, Aug 25, 2012.

1. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Didn't know where to post this so decided to make a thread here

One of the biggest trials has ended in Apple's favor the Jury decided that Samsung infringed Apple's intellectual property with several devices so they will have to pay 1 billion dollars in damages to Apple

Link to full article: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/24/jury-reaches-verdict-in-apple-vs-samsung-trial/

Well I don't know what to think is it bullying from Apple ? or Sammy had it coming ? but they indeed copied Apple in many things, so what do you think guys ?

2. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Considering the fact that Apple copied many things from Android, this verdict makes abso-####ing-lutely no sense.

3. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I don't think it's totally over... yet.

Samsung's statement:
    I find their statement to be kind of funny- mainly the part about 'a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners'.

I'm kind of curious as to whether they checked the jury members to see who had what phone, and whether people liked one company more than another. Could have really affected the case if the majority were iOS users.

4. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Ugh, like those juries even understand half of stuffs that goes on with the patent lawsuits to understand with this lawsuit.

I bet my ipad that these juries most likely owned iphone hence, "I gotta go with apple" decision.

Another reason why juries shouldn't be allowed to give verdicts over complicated lawsuits such as patent lawsuits.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #5 squarezero, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    The suit was not about copied features (which everyone is guilty of -- but let's be honest, Android wouldn't exist in it's current form without Apple). The issue was Samsung's practice of outright copying design and look and feel, to the point where their products were difficult to distinguish from Apple's in the marketplace. You may not believe that that was the case, but many people (including the jury) disagree.

I'm sure that there will be appeals and eventually they will settle something out of court.

6. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    Quoting from someone on MacRumors

7. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    That quote from "someone" from apple forum site is reliable as much as Romney's statement "I wasn't the CEO of bain".

Show me the original source.

8. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
  9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think it's ridiculous result in honesty but being in American company in an American court I always knew the end result the only Ironic thing is Samsung probably invests more of their money into America than Apple.

Hopefully Samsung don't let it effect their phones in Europe, I feel a bit bad for the American consumers though who will end up with gimped phones more than likely even though they already kind of do (due to carriers up to now).

10. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    The devices that were found to infringe on Apple patents were all older. Newer devices like the Galaxy S3 are fine. The old devices can still be sold, but Apple is currently seeking an injuction to keep them off shelves. We here in the US will probably be mostly unaffected- as long as newer devices stick to what the S3 has established.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Bickering over the "qualifications" of jurors is so silly. The American justice system hinges on jury trials with normal people fulfilling their civic duty of deciding on a case. To suggest ten random people aren't "qualified" to rule on this dispute is pretty silly when no one seems to argue over whether or not jurors are capable of deciding guilt or innocence in murder or other severe cases that can potentially result in the death penalty or life in prison.

Gah, I don't know, this whole thing has brought out the worst in these entirely unqualified armchair legal analysts. All this trial really has succeeded in doing is showing just how crazy the US patent system is right now.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed.

13. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Yeah. The patent wars have gotten kind of out of hand and really old.

What annoys me most are the really small obscure companies that make their way out of the wood work just to sue a much bigger, successful company in order make some quick cash- they often lose, but a lot of big companies are quick to just settle, rather than deal with a lawsuit.

14. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Afraid not they even ruled the nexus s infringed which is about as different a phone as anything else on the market and doesn't even use touchwiz, basicly they just made Apple a monopoly in America and I expect they will now continue trying to ban every other device and manufacturer.

The only reason S3 isn't included is it's too new but they will probably chase that next.

15. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    They have yet to ban any devices- though they are trying. I think it would be stupid if they started another lawsuit against Samsung just to get the S3 pulled off the market. You never know though...

16. lightningfast

lightningfast Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    London
    I'm on the site with those who feels a bit strange with that verdict. I'm not sure if this helps market competition between companies...

17. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I still can't believe one of the jurors has actually said they didn't want to waste time on prior art it would only bog down their decision process basicly an admission they ignored the evidence.

Really makes me wonder about the whole legal process and how many people are in jail just because the jury wanted to go home.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Probably lots. Especially if you're a minority with no money. You should watch 12 Angry Men.

19. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Especially in Texas- sorry, I just had to.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's true. I'm super tight with the local public defender in my county and she does her best defending people who can't afford representation but it's always a losing battle as the budget the public defenders office gets is basically nonexistent compared to the State's attorney.