Universal Junk Jack - (by Pixbits)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sawyer4325, Aug 29, 2013.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I think you're confusing the development history of Terraria with something you made up in your head. 505 is not the publisher, they are the coders, full stop. Re-Logic handed off their "would never run under iOS if the fate of the world depended on it" code (built with Microsoft's XNA game builder) to 505 2 years ago. The main guy behind (original) Terraria made the game as a way to teach himself game coding; the team is incapable of delivering it to other platforms and sold it to a much larger studio to do what they want. Re-Logic had no input into the new content or features on platforms outside PC (resulting in some grand nerd arguments on forums about the "purity" of the console versions), nor will they have any input on any future changes to Terraria on these other platforms.

I'm not denying the core concept and look had an indie origin, but this is much like a small author selling the rights of his book to Sony Pictures with the consequence that Sony can do anything they want including changing the ending or adding in characters. Terraria for iOS is a 505 games project, Re-Logic merely gets a logo because they own the idea and trademark.

So, Terraria the brand, indie. Terraria the iOS game, mid size studio product.

--------------

Anyhoo, since this is the JJX thread, I'm glad this was out. I was a beta tester for this (although I think I may have been the worst beta tester ever ;) since the beta started right before I went on vacation and I couldn't even play during the period most of the work was done and, later, I felt useless as I never so much as found a single bug or crash to report). Hopefully get further now that there isn't a new version coming out every 2 days like happened during much of the beta :)

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    One thing that stopped me from playing the original Junk Jack was the complexity of the crafting. Not because I couldn't put a wood stick into the correct slot, but because I was always looking into the craftbook over and over again because to build a tool X, you needed 3x material Y which had to be forged by mixing A, B and C. In a few words: I got lost easily. Is crafting the same way in JJX, or has it been simplified? By simplified I mean something like crafting in Blockheads, which is as easy as craft if you have the ingredients, but not putting the materials into a specific craft slot.

3. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    And that becomes developer responsibility, how?

I mean, if I'm writing software to run on devices that *most* people upgrade at least every 2 years, that's who I *should* target. Targeting those who don't is a waste of effort: they are either poor or cheap and, either way, not worth my time as a business.

Now the comedy routine gets started. First, PixBits has gone out of their way to support older hardware to the point that they chose to lose money on JJ(1) by never updating it to widescreen support, which would have forced them with their development suite to abandon iOS 4. So, your outrage is already 100% off target. Then, not that old? Please. iOS 4 debuted Nov 2010, close to 3 years old at this point, and the last time hardware was made that can't run iOS 5.1 was 2008, so, not that old? That's half a decade. Children are born and start kindergarten in the period of time since hardware that can't run JJX was new.

4. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    They do have that option. Definitely helpful.

5. Eidaven

Eidaven Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    I haven't had a chance to start playing yet but I remember reading a while back that they focused a lot of effort into simplifying that issue. I had the same problem with the original. I even bought the recipe book and it was still a little cumbersome to move through all the pages to find what I wanted.

6. Kittiah

Kittiah New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Really enjoying this game right now, although I seem to be struggling to find any Iron Ore! Got loads of silver and copper, and a bunch of lumps of tin... I can't get much further without the crafting gear that needs Iron. Any ideas?

That'd be awesome! What's your GC nickname?

7. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Seriously though. Can someone post a beginners guide? I beta tested the first game and had trouble understanding it during the beta and after release so I could never get into it. I'd like to get into this, but I still don't understand what the hell I am to do in this game. Halp. I need an adult!

8. multimage

multimage Well-Known Member

Not sure about that at all. King Cashing 2 supports iOS 4 and also supports widescreen resolution. There must be something else at play here. Surely it is something technical and has to do with optimization at that point.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #129 VirtualBoyFreak, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I'll buy JJX then. I bought every single IAP in the original because I loved the game and wanted to support the devs, but crafting was too tough for me.

Btw, already asked by someone but not answered: how do you travel from one planet to another?

EDIT: Can anyone also post the list of IAP and prices? I want to know how much the game costs in total with all the IAP. Thanks.

10. JJE

JJE Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Artist
    Boston, Massachusetts
    From what I gather you construct portals that will take you to other planets. Nether Portals? (Ya I went there)
    Alternatively you can buy planet access outright with IAP. Don't you dare. It will ruin the fun.
    Enjoy

11. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    In an Adventure world, you find special chests that have portal pieces in them. Collect the parts to complete a portal and you can head to another dimension/planet. This also unlocks the area for world generation. There's also an IAP that unlocks them all. I haven't come across even one of the chests yet, though I haven't been actively searching for them either.

12. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm kinda stuck, I am desperately trying to find any kind of mineral other than coal and I can't, I keep running into things that I can't mine with stone and it is really making me mad cause I can't progress much farther without iron.

13. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Could we get a gameplay video? I'm one of the hundreds on the fence, I'm thinking junk jack might be a better fit since it was designed with mobile in mind but I never played the first one.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009

The controls are great, and building is much easier IMHO than any iOS Minecraft offering. Swipe left/right/up/down to walk/climb. Swipe diagonally up to jump in that direction. Tap to break blocks (or place them if you have a placeable block selected.)

15. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Thanks for the responses! Appreciate it!

16. dogxsx

dogxsx Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    #136 dogxsx, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Try generating a new word, you may have a better luck finding the materials you need. Inventory is shared between worlds so you can easily go back and forth with the items. Also we may tweak a bit the world generator depending on the feedback we receive, so don't worry for that!

17. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    I'd recommend iPhone. Your going to be doing a lot of tapping. :)

18. Protoman

Protoman Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    One of the reasons they couldn't support older devices is also the reason they made JJX instead of just updating JJ...some of the systems, such as water in the game would not work on older versions of iOS.

19. Kittiah

Kittiah New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I've finally found some iron after like two solid hours of exploring. Given that it's so vital to progress, I think it'd be worth improving the Iron distribution a little!

Loving the game though, great work <3

20. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I suspect it might need at least a little bit of tweaking. I'm liking the game, but this is the third or fourth world I've tried today and the only iron I've found in all of those was two ingots in a treasure chest (which of course wasn't enough to build the anvil :mad:). Still having fun so far, though, and the persistent character was/is a nice touch.