Universal Junk Jack - (by Pixbits)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sawyer4325, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    Just downloaded JJX and I'm definitely glad that I got both games today. JJX is definitely more visually appealing, but for a game designed exclusively for touchscreen devices, I feel that JJX's controls (as well as the original JJ) are clunkier than Terraria's.

2. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Not trying to sway purchases from Junk Jack, but what don't you understand about Terraria? I understand it completely. Junk Jack on the other hand, I don't. What am I supposed to do in it beside craft and build? In the screenshots I saw a space looking type thing. Is there that much to this game? How to play?

3. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Well, I bought both games. Now my dilemma is which one to play first? I've never played Terraria, but what I'm hearing is that Terraria is more of a platformer/RPG and JJX is more about crafting/exploring? Please, correct me if I'm wrong, lol. Decisions, decisions.

4. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    Both games are actually quite similar, much more so than say a JJX/Terraria vs. Minecraft discussion. Until I am proven otherwise, Terraria has a much more expansive world, ridiculous boss fights, and generally excels at combat more so than the JJ games (assuming that X is similar to the original in these aspects).

5. Mithel

Mithel Active Member

May 9, 2012
    Does the gameplay suffer on a smaller screen? I'd like to play this, but it seems like I'd be missing out if I don't play on an iPad.

6. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    Very awesomeness! Getting both. :D:D:D

7. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You know, it's not just technical abilities of a device but the use of certain developer APIs for making a decision like that. You also need to realize less than 1% of iOS users are on iOS 4. I'm sure the devs want you to play the game, but it's just not worth the effort. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but iOS 4 devices just don't matter anymore.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #48 Bool Zero, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    You make it sound like Terraria's developers are somehow bigger scale. Sure Terraria enjoyed some success to allow it to go on several platforms, but it is still by an indie studio as well. Both games are by indie developers and while both may have overlapping themes they are clearly different games with very different experiences. I play Junk Jack for the 2D minecraft vibe with much more to the crafting. I play Terraria for the exploration and combat... And the crafting! While both have overlapping audiences in a sense, there is enough of a divide for both to eek out a killing without stepping on eachothers toes... And besides, it is only $5 for each. $10 for two awesome games is not much to spend in the grand scheme of things, even in this .99¢ standard era we live in. Hell, I just spent about $200 in console games the other week getting Splinter Cell, The Bureau and Saints Row 4! $5 each is a drop in the bucket even for the most frugal gamer when it comes to the value of these games!

In short: the fanbase of these styles of games are usually looking for the best ones and don't often limit themselves to A or B. Most will at the every least consider getting both...

9. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    AHMAGAAAAAAAAD IT'S OUT! Anyone know if it supports iCloud? Should I play on my i5 or iPad 4 if not?

10. sammylonglegs

sammylonglegs New Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Well, I finally decided to buy some games last night, and I found out about junk jack. Got it, and had no idea about JJX or Terraria, haven't gotten Terraria yet, but I will, because I used up all the money on the first JJ. Now I don't know which one to play. JJ, or JJX?

11. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Is the 3GS supported on this game?

12. dogxsx

dogxsx Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Yes, we managed to add 3GS support :)

13. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks good to know that you guys did your best and looks like my 3GS is back online!

14. nailoso

nailoso Member

May 26, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm going to get both this and Terraria. I have never played either but I see both the games seem to have a large following.

15. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    Hey dogxsx someone by the name of biokid is wanting to get a promo for review, sent a message to me. Possibly someone just trying to get a free game but never know. Wanted this out there for others to know.

16. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The *original* PC version from Re-Logic is truly indie, no doubt; just a couple of dudes like JJ/JJX.

However, there is little indie about the console or iOS ports, they are licensed contract ports by 505 games.

17. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    i vote for ....BOTH

I love Junk Jack and always wanted to play Terraria. Now, for the cost of 2 starbucks drinks (puts it into perspective), I have both JJX and T to explore. I usually don't spend this much on just two games, but both have solid reputations. What a happy happy day!!!

18. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #58 Bool Zero, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Licensed contracts does not diminish the fact that they are both still indie studios... You don't have to be scraping by and eeking out a living to be considered an indie developer. There is more to the definition than it just equating to "a few dudes working out of their garage"... For all the merchandizing, mass exposure and so on that Rovio gets, they are still considered indie developers, as an example...

19. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Not meaning to defame this Biokid, but the name sounds like a certain poster on here who is constantly complaining about the prices of games (a .99¢ avenger if you will, who believes games like Xcom should be that price) and is always giving bad comments on any game that has a "premium" price tag with a not so subtle hint of cognitive dissonance... I highly doubt he is a reviewer. Besides, isn't asking for promo codes against policy here?

20. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Honestly I see no reason any promocodes need to be given to anyone. Even the media. This is a blockbuster game. Aren't the media always complaining about how cheap game prices are on ios and how prices should go up. Let em pay.

Any serious ios gamer has no problem forking out the $5 for this. I grabbed Terraria, Joining Hands 2 and JJX tonight. It was going to be a quiet Thursday... I'm just glad I grabbed an iTunes card last night.