Universal Jump'N'Shoot Attack (by FreakZone)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. johnchiafos

johnchiafos Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 25, 2013
    Freelance Writer
    San Diego
    It's Kid Tripp with guns.

Life is good.

2. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Way less frustrating than Kid Tripp, but both are awesome.

3. shadax

shadax Active Member

Dec 11, 2012
    I can't help if but wonder if the title was inspired by Ego Raptor's video about mega man.

4. Loving this right now, definitely will be fighting for the time spot on the leaderboards, trying to get it under 10 mins![​IMG]

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Oh YES! There's an Android version! Decided to pick that one up! :)

6. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    What's the trick to getting the last gem on level 1-4? Can't get the character to jump once on the platform with the gem, always starts sliding under the next wall the instant I land on the platform. I spam the jump like a madman but not having any luck. What am I missing...

7. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    There are not enough words to describe how good this game is. Controls are spot on, graphics are amazing, and it's just hard enough that you want to throw your phone against the wall...but then finally beat the level.

It's all about memorizing the level. The first play through of a level can take 12 lives, but then once you have it...you have it.

No IAPs, no timers, no connecting to Facebook, no garbage.

8. evilabdy

evilabdy Well-Known Member

It's worth the money.
    Also challenging but fair. When I screw up its definitely my fault and not cause of the game

9. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    No trick, you're doing the right thing. It's not easy to make that jump but it's doable.

10. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    #50 Glorkbot, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    It's a very pretty game.

11. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I feel like I usually die because it's an auto-runner and they didn't give us dpad controls.

I still like it though.

12. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #52 Intendro, Mar 26, 2015
    You can look at Game Center's listed score and see if it's the same.

Is it just me, or is Game Center actually down now? Along with the App Store.

It would be good to be able to see my scores offline because of stuff like this.

...The game isn't even showing the leaderboard and achievement buttons.

...Looks like your score doesn't reset when you "continue" from stage 1-1. So high scores are "who has played the most"?

Still can't see my best time offline, though...

Speaking of which: do I need to pick "new game" or can I just "continue" from stage 1-1?
    I'm guessing my score and collected gems are lost if I pick "new game," so that would be a problem if I have to start over. :eek:

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I know. I think you're missing my point. It seems like you have an interest in "knowing what your score is" and therefore consult GC to do so. Would it be more convenient to have that in the game itself? Yes, of course. However, the main interest I have in score is derived entirely from competition. What leads to frustration, and this occurs extremely often, is that a game session ends and whatever score I get isn't sent to GC at all, at least not when it's the best score I've got. So it's irritating and functionally inaccurate for a game to tell me my high score is 200,000 when GC only has me down for 50,000.

Thus, what I'm saying, on a quasi-related note, is that games that internally record scores AND use GC should have an active feature where you click something like "upload scores" and they go to game center. It may fail, like how scores may fail to submit during automatic transfer to GC, but at least you can make additional attempts to transfer your actual high score rather than play through an entire game in an attempt to replicate it.

Also, scoring in this game, although it may be updated later, is broken insofar as you can repeatedly die, get a 1up, and die all over again, continually boosting the score to the point of irrelevance.

Probably the biggest scoring disaster I've experienced on iOS is Vigil RPG. It's not exactly long by RPG standards, but it certainly isn't something you'd play in one sitting. The angle that makes that game rather unique is that it distills the RPG formula into a competitive game where you try to complete the adventure in as few turns as possible. Consequently, there are quite a few leaderboards representing the number of turns it takes people to reach certain checkpoints in the game. Needless to say, GC didn't get the memo when I reached most of these checkpoints so the competitive aspect, the game's unique hook, went right out the window. I just don't think being able to see what SHOULD have been submitted to GC is the biggest deal amidst other issues revolving around scoring.

14. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    #54 Intendro, Mar 26, 2015
    You're right, there should be a "submit score" button for games with high scores.

Which also happens to include my "I want to see my high score offline" complaint since it'd be possible to tell if the score was submitted or not. :p

I wasn't trying to argue against your point, or anything like that. Sorry. :eek:

15. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I give up trying. No matter what I do the character slides the instant I touch the platform. It's as though I'm not pressing jump at all. Oh well. Thanks anyway...

16. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Fair enough, although you would see if your score is submitted online whether or not the game has an internal score display.

17. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    #57 Intendro, Mar 26, 2015
    So the game would need to say "high score not submitted successfully" or it would need to say the score offline (or just say both for convenience).

(Or else the player would need to manually check if their latest score attempt was a high score, and if it was submitted, and remember to try again later if not submitted.)

...I think we have gone over everything about this by now. #

18. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I posted in the comments section of Andrew Smith's review of this, agreeing that I thought that the jumping/platforming in the game was kinda hit or miss. Now that I've had a chance to really dig in, I'm realizing that everything in the game is completely fair. If you miss a jump, fall into a pit, miss a gem or power up, it's *your* fault. I've really gotten to like this game the more I play it.

So far I'm at the 4th level. I restarted from the beginning and improved my score. Just gotta nail down level 4 now. Is this the last section of levels?

19. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
  20. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    Can we "continue" from stage 1-1 for a speedrun?

Or do we have to start a new game? (That's mutually exclusive with the score & gems.)