iPad Jump Off

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brilliant AiRic, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Brilliant AiRic

Brilliant AiRic Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    #1 Brilliant AiRic, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    Jump Off: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jump-off/id400071450?mt=8

Jump Off Lite: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jump-off-lite/id401011130?mt=8

Tired of using your legs and arms to jump rope? Now all you need is one finger! "Jump Off" is jump rope for you finger. Hold your finger down to begin. Earn points when your finger is down. Jump over the rope but make sure not to drag your finger! There are 4 different difficulties Beginner, Intermediate, Challenging, and Expert. The rope speeds up and becomes unpredictable. The screen shrinks and makes it harder to see the rope. Collect smileys that slow the rope down, earn you points, widen the screen, and even reverse the rope. Online and local leader board included thanks to Openfeint. Made with Cocos2d.

L9EYH4MR9A7H
    PELR7NHJNPR6
    Y4M7XR6HJMN3
    HNF3H9LPLMP6
    KPL9WJYAPP6J
    PNNX4MWEAK9Y
    EYT9XEAHHXJE

If a lot of people use these up I'll add more :)

Attached Files:

2. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
  3. exgamer

exgamer Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    april

Aprils fools day already? This is a joke right?

4. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Do you think the game play is no good or are you talking about the description?

5. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    #5 Brilliant AiRic, Nov 5, 2010
    Jump Off - Gameplay Demo

This was where the youtube video was now I posted it above ^^

6. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    He's referring to the horrid art. You used some pictures of wood and grass instead of actual art. You also used a smiley face you pulled off the internet. Obviously you spent no time on this. I strongly urge you to either take some money and find an amateur artist. You can find some on sites such as DeviantArt or PixelJoint. You could also do some actual art yourself, but I think outsourcing is a better option here. You should pull your game now and republish under a new one so no one associates the old art with the revised game. Unless you do this, you will find NO success on the App Store, sorry to say.

7. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the suggestions. I drew the smiley faces in illustrator. I may consider changing the ground to actually art rather then the pictures I took. What type of art were you thinking for the ground? At least my smileys were good enough that you thought I stole them so that's a compliment.

8. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    That's not for me to really think about, it's not my game. It's yours. Think about turning those faces into actual characters and giving them a backstory. Give the game purpose. Right now it looks incredibly boring. Some games are endless runners, others puzzle games. You need a purpose. This is something you can talk over with your artist.

9. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    I'm the kind of person who always skips the story and just wants to get on with the game. I mean did Pacman or Doodle Jump ever have a real story? Not really. There are a lot of games that don't have stories, but are still really entertaining.

I do agree is may be a little to simple, which may be making it boring for you. It is my first app.

10. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Doodle Jump and Pac-Man had awesome art. Get an artist.

11. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Congratulations on your first game. Even though this may not be an instant hit, it is only one stone on the twisting path of app development. Learn from your mistakes this time round and improve next time.

I actually quite like the concept, but it is way to bland. You mention that Doodle Jump and PacMan don't have any story, but the way they get past this is by creating a loveable and unique character. Look at the other pick-up-and-play games out there. Cut the Rope, Angry Birds etc all have a strong main character.

Your game can't just be what it is. It needs to be quirky and fun. Even if you don't go down the cartoony look, you still need something that will catch the onlookers attention. Whether it be story, or a main character.

Don't give up. Some day you will get it right.

12. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    I agree they have good art, but I was just talking about the storyline.

I'll work on my art skills, but I can't afford an artist yet.

13. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the friendly feedback. My lovable character is the super smiley guy on the front menu screen, where do you think I go wrong with this concept?

14. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    It's a smiley. And that's it. It's SO generic.

15. exgamer

Aug 3, 2010
    before it goes out of hand

Look your not the only developer with bad art . Click this link
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=63017

But your art makes his art look good . Sorry for being so harsh , but I dont like developers stealing peoples money. It doesnt matter if its only a dollar .

Pac-man did have a story he was trying to find Mr. pac-man . She got lost in the maze , and pac-man went to go find her.

Doodle jump also had a storyline too. The doodlers spaceship crashed and the doodler was stuck in a crater . His goal is the jump his way out of the cave that he crashed into and hopefully find the remains of his ship.

Please build your charactor and give him depth. Also hit the link I showed you so you can see what I mean.

16. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Gameplay

So what about the gameplay? Is it simply boring because the art is boring and there is no story? or is it original for the iPhone?

I think it is original, I like the idea because your finger is the sprite (character).

Before the smileys I had items, but it was too confusing to understand what they did. I had thought about adding more smileys, but I think this makes it too confusing. I want it to be simple something you can pick up and begin to play in seconds.

17. exgamer

Aug 3, 2010
    power-ups

Ok maybe I am a bit harsh , the game is original , which I like originality. It needs polish. I contacted a friend of mine who is a developer and here is his suggestions.
    Ok at least add some power-ups to change the gameplay and I think you will do good .
    Power-ups

1)Like scissors to cut the rope coming towards you while you collect smily faces .

2) Reverse , tap it and it makes the rope go into reverse .

3) Gravity pull , makes the happy faces come towards you.

My friend says you have a hit game on your hands that can sell millions. I dont see what my friend sees , but he is very smart . Hope it helps!!!

18. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    Wow, I hope you're friend is right. I already have a reverse the rope with the sad face, I don't understand the scissors, and I like the idea of some sort of gravity pull or just the happy faces moving eventually.

19. Brilliant AiRic

Nov 5, 2010
    Independent Developer
    Wisconsin
    #19 Brilliant AiRic, Nov 6, 2010
    No one told me! The 2nd youtube link was going to an invalid video :(

I fixed it.

20. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    A post I wrote on another thread just now:

Ok, imagine all of the innovative games concepts on the AppStore.

Tilt to Live? Fruit Ninja? You name it.

Now imagine that game but without the quirky design and character.

Tilt to Live - You would be an arrow and you would have to avoid randomly floating dots. If you hit a dot, you die. Your score is taken. You start over again.

Fruit Ninja (would probably not have been called Fruit Ninja) - random 2d shapes are thrown up in front of you and you have to slice them.

See? If you take away the character, the personality of each of the best selling games, then they wouldn't be best selling. They would be bland and boring.

And that's where I think starting developers are going wrong these days. You may have an amazing concept (I think yours is actually pretty unique), but they do nothing with it, apart from putting into its simplest form and expecting people to latch onto it.

Unfortunately it doesn't work out that way.
    You need to put something more into it to make it varied, exciting and overall a more enjoyable game.