Universal Jump Jack (by Rossman Bros Games LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

JJ is so hard! I made it to zone 4-5 on easy. Will try to finish up that last level when I'm feeling really relaxed. :D Hope you guys win TA forums' game of the week. Got a few noms already!

2. Nice man, you're about to beat it! I hope you enjoyed the final boss cutscene! Also tip for making the world 3 and 4 levels a bit easier to navigate, make sure to hold down the sprint button, makes clearing gaps and such much easier. Also thanks for the nomination!

3. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Thanks for the hint! I kept staring at all the commotion overhead, wondering if/how I was suppose to get up there.

4. #44 RossmanBrothersGames, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Yeah a lot of stages have multiple paths, usually one is more difficult (requiring the Super Jump or something) and is needed to keep your combo. After beating the game a lot of our testers loved going back to get all the combo stars. One of my friends got all the combo stars, then unlocked all the Nightmare levels and got the combo stars on those! Pretty Insane. Excited to see more people go for it!

Here is what getting the combo star on that level looks like (you all will have to figure out how to do it on the others :D )

Oh, and happy birthday Paul!

5. paulkane

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    #45 paulkane, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Jump Jack is crushing me. Thanks for elaborating on what is possible in the game and embedding the video too. I need to get inspired!

Thanks for birthday wish. I turn 45 in about 4 minutes. Ha.

Edit: Okay, that video is insane. I need to get a better grasp on the controls for sure.

6. Yeah we made the tutorial skippable because I hate waiting through tutorials. But from that some people miss some of the cool controls. The biggest is that HOLDING DOWN A makes you sprint. Think like Mario, tap the button to shoot fireball, hold to sprint.

Sprinting also charges your Super Jump meter. When its full you can press and hold to do a Super Jump to reach higher places and continue your combo and such.

Sprinting makes navigating areas a lot easier. You clear gaps easier and such.

7. paulkane

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I watched the tutorial, but obviously didn't take away as much as I should have. Thanks for the 2.0 tutoring lesson.

8. Anotherkellydown

I've got a total understanding of the controls but it's still extremely difficult for me. I'm almost always holding sprint, unless I need to lift to touch another button. It's just that using different maneuvers like super jump and shield is hard for me to do for some reason. My right thumb just wants to stay glued to that sprint button and my mind goes blank if I need do anything else. I think it just comes down to practice, practice, practice.

It would be nice if there were more leaderboards to keep "noobs" like me motivated. For example, a leaderboard for completing a zone with "X" amount of deaths.

I know I can beat that last level! And even though I'll probably never beat the game on normal or hard, I still love and appreciate Jump Jack for what it is. I hope these comments don't come across as negative or turn people away from playing it. I stand by my recommendation for "old school" gamers and runner/platformer fans to download and play this. It's a rare treat to be sure!

9. rybotron

rybotron Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Cinematographer + Editor / Part time video game ar
    Oregon
    Perserverence is rewarding!

Even though I worked with my bro on this game and played it along the way, I felt the challenge hit me hard in the beginning! I saw him playing these levels like a master (he does have the top score on Kid Tripp btw) and I thought I could never do that. But it was so addictive and every time I passed a section, only to find another difficult obstacle ahead of me, I always found myself getting better, and closer to a flawless run! That's what I love about what he was able to accomplish with the gameplay and level design. Eventually my brain clicked with the controls and it felt like every level was an epic scene from an action movie! Haha, this game will train your brain better than sudoku!!!! While challenging and insane that it seems to some people, I'm glad they are enjoying it!!! It's so awesome reading these comments!:eek:

10. That's a good idea Mike! Sorry for not keeping you guys in mind ;) . I'll get to brainstorming. Actually, I've got an idea for an endless mode built on the combo system, that way you don't have to play through the whole game to go for leaderboards. I think it would be super fun!

11. Anotherkellydown

Sounds great! =)

12. Wow, just saw a few more nominations for Game of the Week. Thanks guys! Really appreciate it.

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

[thread=272660][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272686][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272663][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272645][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272664][​IMG][/thread]

Jump Jack

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

October 8th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

14. uptimistik

uptimistik Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Bought it and must say I do enjoy it a lot! Reminds me a bit of mega man haha all round well put together. Back to it Jack!

15. Wow! Ok. That's really cool to be included in there, thanks guys. Pretty encouraging, especially since we launched during a week with a ton of great games.

16. Thanks man! Always fun to hear good feedback from another dev! Mega Man definitely had some influence!

17. Well overall I have to say I am excited and pleased with Shaun's review. He is a cool guy and so awesome of him to take a look at our game! Although I would have loved that extra half star :D lol. But so glad his overall thoughts were positive, and he recommends the game, just not to everyone. But definitely one that retro hard fans are loving and I hope this gets the word out to more of them!

18. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I've been playing Jump Jack quite a bit since I got my new phone; the game looks great on the 6S Plus. I've earned all Hard, Combo and Speed stars and have beaten Story Mode on Normal a couple of times. Beating a level in one long combo is such a sweet feeling! Thanks to the Rossman Brothers for a very cool game. Now excuse me while I rest for a week or 2 before I tackle the nightmare levels! :D

19. Impressive! Thanks Andy! Glad you are enjoying it!

20. neca

neca Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I love this game, at first it felt really unforgiving until you get the hang of the dashing and jumping combos, now the only thing left is unlocking the last nightmare, really great game! I hope you make a sequel someday...