iPad Joyland Bounce (Gamesmith) Bounce on Ripoff

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by radchad1, Jun 7, 2009.

1. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    #1 radchad1, Jun 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. appreview123

appreview123 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    LoL "Ripoff" might be a little strong a word... how about "Copy"? ;)

Everything in the appstore is a copy (zombieville/mummys attack/sparta), but whats good about it is the guy copying will do whatever it takes to get recognized (offer it for 0.99 or even free to get attention over the established one) which will spur the original bounce on to lower prices since they arent the only game in town anymore.

3. radchad1

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    I'm going to TOFTT on this one. I'll be back after the gym with some impressions on this one.

4. gamesmithstudios

Mar 4, 2009
    Actually, Joyland Bounce offer a different gameplay experience - from my publisher's point of view, it's actually better than Bounce On :)

In Bounce On, your character rolls on the floor and jumps - more in a traditional platformer fashion.

In Joyland Bounce, your character floats, which is more tricky to control - hence more fun. Plus the graphics are outstanding!

But I won't agree that Bounce On is a neat little game, if you liked it, you will definitely enjoy Joyland Bounce.

Promo codes are available for website admins.

Thanks,

Simon

5. radchad1

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    Hello Simon,

I take back my initial comments about the game being a bounce on rip off. The game is actually really fun and I like how you move the little fellow around the levels. It's really similar to being more like rolando, but I don't regret the purchase I just made on this game, thus far.

6. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    barely anything on the appstore is what I'd call original, just my opinion, there are good controls but not new ideas

7. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    So maybe a mod can change the thread title? lol...

8. gamesmithstudios

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks! I'm happy you're enjoying it. Please do provide feedback, we'll be happy to update our games with your recommendations.

Simon

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Any video of the game in action?

10. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Not entirely true. There's stuff like Eliss, Exorcist, etc. that have some new ideas and new wrinkles to older ideas (enough so to call them original).

11. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, found a video of the Java version (note that it may not represent the iTouch/Phone version, but it does give an idea on the game):

[hqyoutube]-brZyUUuI8A[/hqyoutube]

12. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

That's a cute little ball. Can anyone tell us what the gameplay is like. Is it like dizzy bee utilizing the accelerometer? Or what?

The screenshots look good. I'd love to see some video of this one.

EDIT:
    Thanks for the video Spiff, this looks NOTHING like bounce on, except the character is a ball.

13. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Yeah. I think the whole "bounce" thing was made too big a deal with some people. Plus the "character as a ball thing", which, c'mon...if we really go there then the Bounce On ball is a rip off of Papi, and Papi a rip off of Pac-Man or something. ;)

Anyway, as far as gameplay (haven't played it, but from looking at the vid) it seems that this is to NiGHTS...into Dreams as Bounce On is to Sonic the Hedgehog. But I could be way off.

Controls seem to be touch and tilt, btw (or at least that's what's stated in the app description).

14. gamesmithstudios

Mar 4, 2009
    A lite version is pending approval...

Simon

15. I gave it a shot this morning, and I have to say it's actually pretty good. I'm not entirely sure I'd compare it to BounceOn precisely. In this one you have to collect all of the stars on a given level and make it to the exit. There's an optional time score to beat, but it doesn't appear to be necessary.

Control is indeed touch and accelerometer. The touch works pretty much like Cave Flier and kin; touch gives you lift. The gameplay dynamic is pretty simple and intuitive and works well enough, though it can be a little deceiving. The levels feature loads of curved surfaces that give rise to thoughts of being able to zoom and roll across the landscape collecting stars Sonic-style, since the placement of many runs of them follow the contours of the levels -- and you can get a pretty good clip going in sections, but then it goes and throws up an obstacle for you to smack square into, and the recoil is pretty harsh, so you'll spend several seconds correcting your heading. You are, after all, a ball, and as such, are bouncy. Some levels require you to do the Cave Flier thing, pumping your altitude to grab stars that aren't hugging the landscape.

Now, I'm only working through the garden-style levels right now, but so far there haven't been any enemies. Just bits of landscape frequently getting in my way. Visually, the above video is pretty much exactly what you get -- it's really quite well-appointed graphically and the sounds are good too. Getting the feel for the controls will take a wee bit of time but it's quite an enjoyable game so far.

16. radchad1

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    So, I've had the opportunity to spend a good deal of time with this game. The first initial reaction I had when I saw the screen shots was a bounce on rip off. Now after playing through the game quite a bit the two games are actually a lot different. This game uses touch to make your ball float and the accl to move around the screen. I would give this game a 4.0/5.0 due to the fact I haven't run into any bad guys. The main purpose behind this game is to try and beat a level in a given amount of time and collect all the stars.

p.s. I'm going to email Eli and see if he will change the thread title I created, as it takes away from a really enjoyable game.

17. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    So, basically, it's as I stated:

While Bounce On is like Sonic in that both are platformers, this is more like NiGHTS in that both are...well...flying...obstacle...race...thingies.

It's always been difficult to categorize NiGHTS, as it isn't a platformer, really (there's no platforming, after all). Anyway...this game totally reminds me of NiGHTS.

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    This game is way more like Rock'n'Roll than Bounce On.
    Just because the character is a ball?!?! Phew....

So, I tried. Style is quite charming. But it was a bit too boring for me :)
    Erased it. But it's a sweet game, with nice animation.

But Bounce On completely is another level.

19. gamesmithstudios

Mar 4, 2009
    The lite version has been approved and will be on the App Store in a matter of hours. Enjoy!

Simon

20. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Great! gonna have to try the lite out before I even think about the full.