Joost is out!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by 1337brian, Nov 29, 2008.

1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #1 1337brian, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
    I don't know how this got into the app store but it's here!
    http://appshopper.com/entertainment/joost

::EDIT::The movies aren't working yet, but I would still D/L this and hold onto it just in case apple decides to pull this one

2. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    It's here - but not working right quite yet. I could not get a stream (any stream) to start playing. I figure I'll wait a day or so for the kinks to get worked out and then I can start watching non-stop episodes of Charlie's Angels and Cheaters!

3. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Wow i cant believe its in the app store

4. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
  5. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Is this app the same as that Poptiq or whatever that homosexual Buck was advertising a while ago?

6. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Not quite...:rolleyes: If it's anything like the desktop version it's full movies and tv shows streaming. And pretty decent ones at that! :D

7. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    yeah, it wasn't working for me either. Seems promising though

8. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I'm really surprised too, but I guess it doesn't do anything that goes against Apple or coincides with anything Apple has already.

Unless I'm wrong...

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Don't see this one getting pulled. Google supports it, and appearently if you're on the board at Apple, you can do anything. Whats next, Al Gore gonna release an Inconvientient Truth app. (loved the book btw)

Joost is by the same people from Skype and eBay, if i'm not mistaken.

10. #10 mrbass, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
    This is awesome. Vsnax I couldn't get into that much. Popstiq sucks.

No the picks and popular streams didn't work for me but when I browse it works great. It actually gives you a short description so you can decide if you might want to watch the clip. What a novel idea (well the other ones didn't so that makes it a novel idea...hehe). All these are freely available short video clips on various internet sites around the web. But who wants to visit hundreds of sites and slash their way through bombardments of ads to view tiny clips when it's all quickly categorized and navigatable from your fingertips.

Just go to http://www.hulu.com see which Movies they have then search on joost and get your movie. For example Gattaca and start watching. Never thought we'd see the day this would happen. Hulu on the iphone.

11. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

i can watch some of the videos now...

12. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Cool same here I got one to play a few seconds and then crash!:p I am a little sad it's not their whole library but not bad for free

13. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I think the whole library should be up a couple days...

14. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    If that's true, that will be awesome. Just awesome.

15. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    All the servers seem to be working just fine now, I'm gonna watch karate kid or starship troopers. Probably starship because it has some T&A :p

16. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    They don't seem to have much stuff. All I see is Naruto: "I wanna watch too doo too doo...". Might as well use the Youtube app...

17. divabimbers

divabimbers Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Well, I discovered a downside to this app already. You must be on wifi or you can't watch the videos. Still, I think this is a good start and I hope in time it will include playback on cellular connections.

18. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I am officially streaming Karate Kid II on my iPhone. I'm really, really happy with this. This will be great for running on the treadmill.

Thanks a million, Joost.

They did this so it won't take up AT&T's data. Apple will probably kill it off if it ever allows it.

19. divabimbers

divabimbers Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Good point, makes sense. Then I guess the more sensible thing would be to dream of a data infrastructure that would better handle video streaming when lots of users are using it.

I also noticed that a couple of videos were flaky as in playing too fast or stuttering but I think that is due to people trying Joost out and overloading the servers a little. All in all, I think that this is pretty polished for a 1.0 release from what I've seen.

20. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    True, and I'm sure that could be solved, hopefully without sacrificing quality.

And really? I just had Karate Kid II playing for the whole movie and it didn't sputter or cough even once. Great quality, too.