Universal Joe Dever's Lone Wolf (By Forge Reply)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. sdiggbot

sdiggbot Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    I haven't had a single crash on my pokey iPad2 iOS 7.02...

Have you done a reboot of your device? Could help

2. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    How do saves work? I have left after combat on a few occasions now, and come back and have lost progress. I went through 2 random encounters, entered the merchant, sold and bought and repaired..exited to the main menu through the settings tab, and I return to find all of this unsaved?

3. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland
    What a fantastic conversion, I thought the Sorcery! books where the pinnacle of this genre , but I do believe this is actually better (although I would thoroughly recommend both).

4. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Not sure who does the balancing, but the elite giek soldier guy near where leandra is building the elevator is fairly broken.

Not only am i unable to use any healing items prior to the fight, but even on easy the enemy does about half life before i am even able to attack or use an ability. Since i cant heal prior to the fight, that means i die every time before i can do anything. What am i missing?

5. Yeah, and also the graphics are really top notch in Lone Wolf, it does such a nice job integrating words with sounds and animations, pretty cool stuff.

6. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    Haha i just left my game to rant about is exact same fight. This is beyond infuriating, he stuns you immediately before you have an action, hits you 3 times and then you are dead or have a couple hundred hitpoints at best. And there's THREE mobs!

You can heal using items (no meditation) after that first fight, but for those who arent stocked with health stuff, you are literally dead in the water. As in, forced to restart the entire game at this point by the looks of it. Something is seriously amiss, This cannot be the way the game is intended to play out.

I think this game needs a serious tweak, because in instances where there are consecutive fights, if you do not do "well enough" in the first fight, you're basically SOL in second, and you cannot restore to a point before the first fight was won! Nonsensical.

7. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    #107 Mookmonster, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Finally beat him. Trick was to reset game to last immediate save point. Was then allowed to eat my meals to gain life. Didnt work if u reset to last save point after losing.

With full life and my life gain/stamina gain ability, i was able to win with a couple lucky draws. Seriously far too difficult for an early end boss though.

Other bugs: when i level up an attack skill, the game stalls at the description of new ability with no way to exit out. Have to reset game. Happened twice now.

8. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada

More hilarity - i actually almost had him dead despite having no health potions and half life at the beginning of the fight (before the stuns and automatic hits draining me to 10% health) and then he whips out a horn and summons TWO more grunts! Are you effing kidding me???

This is hilarious for those of us that dont have an inventory filled with health gaining items. I literally cannot do anything but restart the entire chapter at this point.

9. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    #109 Mookmonster, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Wow beat first chapter and really really itching for more. Great job devs! Couple bugs to work out, but i cant wait for next installment!

On the other side, feels much shorter than first episode of sorcery, though sorcery also felt short to me. Im a demanding gamer. :(

10. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    Had to lower the difficulty to baby mode and then i got through it by the skin of my teeth. If there was ever a head shaking moment in a game , it was that particular set of circumstances.

Also amusing how you cannot repair an item UNTIL it is broken and does half damage, so in theory you can get stuck with a severely gimped weapon in combat with absolutely no recourse. Is this game meant to be so unforgiving? Because although most of my impressions have been positive, these last few hours really, really soured my experience.

Still bought the season pass like a goof, though.

11. ryansumo

ryansumo Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Freelance artist
    Manila
    Intriguing. I loved these books as a kid.

12. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    Also, to reassess my previous complaints about loading times, there is an option after losing to go straight back into the fight. Im an idiot and just didnt see it.

Tine to go through the game two more times to try out different archetypes. Now that i know the fighting engine really looking forward to min/max this game.

13. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    I was loving this game until it got to the combat. Maybe I chose the worst possible build but it took me three tries to win the very first fight. That shouldn't really happen in any game, ever. And then I go right into a harder fight with all my bars at 50% or below, at which point I gave up.

Plenty of other games to play while I wait for a balancing patch.

14. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but I'm not loving this as much as others seem to be. The production values are off the charts, so much so, that all the bells and whistles actually slow the pace of the overall game. I have a 4th gen iPad so it's not that the game lags, but the animated GUI simply takes time to play out. Even the speed at which text appears seems sluggish; I wish I could auto-complete with a tap, espeassialy if I'm restoring from a checkpoint. As for the writing itself; it's not bad, but seems overly verbose at times, leaving me tempted to skim. As for the game itself, perhaps I haven't played enough, but the plot seems to be a bit "on rails", and as the reader, I feel like I'm just a there to plod through it, and fight enemies along the way. Which brings me to combat. Like the entire game, combat is a dazzling and highly polished experience, but because combat is based on a static turn based timer, battles feel slow, and I seem to be waiting as much or more time as I'm actually playing. Combat can be frustrating too. While the reaction-based mini-games are a clever mechanic, poor performance as a player will result in a quick death, even in the earliest battles. That's great if you enjoy the kind of twitch-play gaming made popular by Infinity Blade, but the soul of Interactive Fiction, is the exact opposite, usually embracing thoughtfull decision making. That's not to say this hybrid doesn't work, but it's an entirely different experience from games like Sorcery or the Tinman game books. There is no doubt this game is special, but for me, it's not the game book experience I'm after.

15. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    #115 Mookmonster, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    After now beating the game twice using completely different builds I have some thoughts/suggestions.

1. The qte events r a tad bit too tight. Often due to device lag or whatever, a fairly close to perfect swipe doesnt register leading to a failed attack. Really annoying and sometimes made me long for the simplicity and controllability of dice. The graphics and interactivity are great, but the reality of touch-based innacuracy makes me want the devs to tone down the accuracy requirements.

2. Deffinately not enough choices with realistic impacts. Effectively there really is only 1 path through the storyline. Your choices primarily affect your stats/equipment and not much in the story.

3. I really like the rpg elements. Ie: character stat progression and equipment levelling. Nice addition to the typical gamebook. Again though, while much time seems to have been invested in stat and equipment progression, non-linear story development is lacking.

4. Graphics, the color fading, absolutely top notch. Presentation overall is perfect.

5. While i wrote earlier, game balance needs tweaking. Was playing with my nephew (trying to get him to read and enjoy books, he is 5) and he got really frustrated warching me lose to the end boss roughly 8 or 9 times before we gave up and went on to something else. Admittedly i figured out how to win later, but i was losing for all the wrong reasons. IE: i wasnt making bad decisions, but rather the game, even with full life (around 2800, was doing a mage build) i frequently died before I could do even 1 action. My nephew, and myself, have no patience for losses that are really not my fault.

5. I wont harp too much on this, but game is rather short. 4 hours for first run through, 2 for the second. Fairly certain i could do a third run in an hourish but no real desire except perhaps to try difft character development. So from one perspective i spent $5 for 4 hours of play, from another i spent $5 on 6 hours, but at the end it really felt like very little had actually happened in the story itself.

Good luck on the next episode! I bought all of them so im in for the long haul, but i hope the first release serves as a great learning opportunity to make the next even better!

16. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    There is a good game here, and potentially many more ( i too am in it for the long haul) i just hope the devs address the points made in this thread by us...because there are definitely some bugs to be worked out and tweaks that need to be made. Still happy with this purchase, as I had never before played a game of this genre. Guess I have to check out the two Sorcery games now.

17. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    Sorcery is excellent because there really are numerous paths one can take to get to the end, even in just the first game book. And i really mean NUMEROUS paths. However, i felt lone wolf was, while more linear, certainly more emmersive. Also these devs were not working on a pre-existing gamebook by a giant in the field (steve jackson), but rather a new original work, admittedly by an author with solid experience..

Im really looking forward to the sequels.

18. Forge Reply

Forge Reply Well-Known Member

Thank for the tip, we're looking into that right now.

19. Forge Reply

There is indeed a bug in the savegame if you move away from the "current" location in the map. The game is correctly saved if you progress in the story, but it may not be saved in the situation you describe. The bug was discovered after the submission to Apple, so it is present only on iOS, while it's fixed in the Android version. A new version for iOS fixing this bug and others is going to be submitted early next week.

20. Forge Reply

Apologies for the delayed response but I have to sleep sometimes :)

Me and all the team are checking this thread daily and we're looking into every bug that you're pointing out. We're also checking the balancing of the game and tweaking the difficulty level.
    So, thanks for your help: the game is big and we're doing our best to fix any possible issue.

About linearity: this first Act takes place in the village of Rockstarn and the scale of the story is somewhat limited.
    Act two will be wider in term of choices and they're going to impact more on the upcoming events.
    Like in a classic gamebooks, the story will evolve and become more open so, don't worry about his point: Blood on the Snow is only the beginning.