Universal Joe Dever's Lone Wolf (By Forge Reply)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Here's a question concerning the future episodes. Will they be included within updates for Lone Wolf and the IAPs just unlock them, or will they be downloadable through the app itself. That's a pretty huge deciding factor for me as I'm absolutely loving the game, but do not want to go through the nightmare that was downloading The Walking Dead's episodes through the game itself.

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Downloaded last night and finally soon I'll have some time to settle down and have a good try of the game. Looking forward to trying this more than Oceanhorn, simply because I get super bored reading a book but game books always stick in my mind with memorable moments.

Plus the combat looks like something I'll love as I love strat and rpg games.

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    No problem. ^_^

One request I'd make is for landscape mode to be enabled for the splash/title screens from the moment the game boots up, as at the moment these are portrait-only. When I first started the game I was concerned that the entire book would be in portrait because rotating the device during the titles did nothing, and it wasn't until the game reached the menu that landscape orientation became available.

On that note, I particularly like the way the landscape mode works, with the additional page changing as necessary while keeping the main story visible (although it took a brief moment to get used to seeing only half the book on-screen). Also happy the iOS status bar isn't superimposed over the proceedings (Sorcery!, take note! ;)).

4. Forge Reply

Forge Reply Well-Known Member

The new Acts are going to be included as updates of the app. No in-app download but only in-app unlock (single Acts or Season Pass).

We can think about it, as we will implement a revised main menu in a future update.

Yes, you can use the second page as you wish, keeping the map, inventory, character sheet or whatever you like. The RPG structure is all there, half hidden by the top left handle.

5. defunct32

defunct32 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Did you guys buy the game and unlock all chapters through the IAPs (premium pass) or will you all wait for the chapters in the months to come?

I was screwed over by ASH II, I hope Lone Wolf won't be the same.

6. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Easily and amazingly best gamebook I have ever played on ios. Even better than sorcery...except 1 respect.

Load Times.

Admittedly, ipod touch 5, so wasnt expecting a super fast transition from book to fighting mode. But would be awesome if you lost a fight the game would reset to the beginning if that same fight, bc fight engine is already loaded, rather than the previous save point that requires the fight engine to b loaded again.

Regardless, congrats on a fantastic game release. Didnt hesitate on the $15 total cost.

7. Forge Reply

Thanks for the feedback.

We worked hard to publish the game on iOS and Android, supporting the widest set of devices possible. We know that on some of them loading times are not so smooth and we'll try to improve that aspect in the future.

I'm glad to hear that so, I'll report your excitement to the dev team :)

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd contend that that crown still firmly sits on King of Dragon Pass, but both this and The Sorcery! Books can sit quite contently beside it sharing that thrown! All of these gamebooks are, in my opinion, the creme de la creme of gamebooks currently on the AppStore!

9. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Hmmm, i was really thinking of sorcery and tin man products as direct competition. Kodp is much more than a gamebook, more like a text based kingdom simulator that ctosses many more genre boundaries. But thx for reminding me how awesome all our 'gamebook' options r on ios!

Re: loading times.
    Wasnt much of a complaint as i knew the graphics engine would require some processing power, more of a suggestion as to encourage an inmediate retry on failed battles in order to reduce load time issues. Impact on balance appears slight as going back to the checkpoint is really flippin pages until the battle again (sometimes there are quicktime events, but not as significant as the battles).

Regardless, love this game!!

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #90 Ayjona, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Game Impressions

Yeah, in as far KoDP is considered a gamebook (I see it as a complex 4X game with an extreme focus on immersion), it cannot be challenged by anything I've ever played.

(But then, I don't really see Lone Wolf as a gamebook either, but instead as an RPG that uses text instead of graphics to describe surroundings and events. Whereas to me a gamebook, digital or physical, is a book that uses some RPG elements to make the story more interactive.)

But Lone Wolf is pretty durned amazing. Much like Pocket Tactics pointed out, the lack of variety among the enemies (and the resulting formulaic combat) is pretty much the only mechanical flaw. But since the combat system itself is nice, a more varied evil host in the upcoming episodes could alleviate even that.

And yeah, the game is still mostly linear, and replayability comes more from choosing a different skill set and Kai disciplines and the opportunities they open up (mostly just different descriptions of how obstacles are overcome, with the same continuation afterwards), than from the possibility to go down truly different paths.

And yeah, the story might be bland and without much emotional impact (which would be my biggest gripe, since a gamebook has the potential to deliver a tale at least as deep and captivating as any short story or novella). But then, the emotional impact and character of a story is mostly subjective, and the actual text is exceptionally well written (in tone, register, diction, etc).

In all other respects, this feels very close to perfection in gamemaking. One of the most polished, attractive and immersive gaming experiences I know of. This brand new iPhone 5S of mine is quickly starting to seem more like a curse than a blessing, when I suddenly must choose whether to launch XCOM or Lone Wolf (and all the other pleasures this much power suddenly makes available to me)...

11. Forge Reply

Thanks for your words. It's great to hear such a nice opinion on our game.

12. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    I am close to hitting the buy button, possibly even springing for the season pass, but admit to having some concerns about some of the comments in this thread about the difficulty of the combat, and the necessity of repeating some battles several times in order to win.

13. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Maybe its because I despise the spellbook for Sorcery! but this is blowing it out of the park for me.

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It is nice to put so much weight behind those words, so thank you ;)

Will upcoming episodes feature a more varied set of enemies and enemy behaviour (to allieviate one of the very few criticisms I can muster, see my post on previous page and the Pocket Tactics review)?

15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I've had to replay a few of the battles, but they are challenging in a fun way, and all the times I've replayed them, I came back with a new tactic and nailed them.

The battles in this game really make you think and strategize. Also, you have to take things into account like if an enemy is blocking or not, which the game does not make super obvious and you have to actually notice them go into defensive stance.

I also disagree with anyone that says it gets repetitive. I think each fight is engaging enough and they go quick enough to where I never get tired of them or lament that another one is coming.

16. lll Anubis lll

lll Anubis lll Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2013
    I agree, the only other piece of advice I have is the page curls and makes a sound every so often, which is annoying. I guess it's to remind you how to turn the page but when I'm reading that is the last thing I want to hear. Drives me up a wall for some reason. Well seeing as that and the issue mentioned above are the only complaints I can come up with, this app is very good. It suits ios so well and is probably going to end up as one of my most favorite apps on ios.

17. sdiggbot

sdiggbot Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    I hate that constant reminder as well. After the first page, I KNOW how to turn the damned thing

18. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    First bug I have encountered...was in portrait mode prior to combat, I do that annoying arrow thing before combat, getting my ipad into landscape, I enter combat and.....still in portrait!

As you can see, the image is all messed, the text at the top is overlapping, and it made switching targets impossible due to the zoom on the battlefield...slightly irritating.

Attached Files:

19. thedemographic

thedemographic Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Every time I get to the first combatant scene, the app locks up. I'm playing on a ipad 3. Anyone else have this problem?

20. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    #100 sdiggbot, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    A few other things that may need addressing :

1. On certain combat QTE, it lags/chops making it incredibly hard to be successful - i notice this especially when trying to throw a single dagger. My iPad noticeably stutters through the animation and its incredibly hard to time the throw right without wasting a dagger

2. The stun moves that you employ - they seem to work right when there are multiple enemies, however when you are faced with a single enemy, it seems broken. You stun them, it displays the chain effect, yet they perform their actions as normal, not missing any turns whatsoever? I assume this isn't working correct as when you're faced with many enemies and you stun someone the same way, they miss at least one round of combat.

3. Nothing about your stats is explained. I assume from previous RPG experience that your strength affects damage, and that your dex affects range/dodge/crit but no where does the game tell me this. Also, it seems a bit bizarre that no where does it say how much damage your special abilities do, or how much endurance/kai they require to activate. Considering combat requires such precise amounts of time/math in order to be most effective, you would expect this information to be found some where on the character sheet.