Universal Joe Dever's Lone Wolf (By Forge Reply)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    In the upcoming thread the developer said they're aiming for episodes to be released every couple of months.

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Glad I could be of some assistance :). You are most welcome, and if you picked it up... ENJOY!! ;)

3. sdiggbot

sdiggbot Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    #63 sdiggbot, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    This is unlike any game I have ever played, and it is fantastic! The combat portion is incredibly unforgiving and really takes some adjusting to as there's hardly any tutorial or help whatsoever. I assume it gets a bit better as your abilities increase and you upgrade your gear. Not knowing when a mob is going to attack can lead to wasting endurance on a defensive stance, which is really, really irritating. Just having to stand there and eat shots 80% of the time is also a bit baffling. It hardly ever gives me a defensive QTE to counter/dodge damage. I guess potions are extremely valuable for combat as your Kai powers are what seems to win fights. Hard to break the habit of hording all consumable potions and only using in event of emergency like in every other game I have played.

Besides my rough adjustment to the combat, everything else about this game is amazing. I love fantasy novels and this is the most interactive reading experience you could ask for. Phenomenal experience so far.

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    How good is the writing?

5. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    So-so. engrossing enough to keep my attention but it does seem like it may be dumbed down a bit to appeal to a large age demographic rather than just hardcore fantasy book nerds like me, which I can totally understand. I suppose it is hard to balance all the nuances of rich story telling inside of an actual game without it becoming walls upon walls of text which as we've already seen in this thread, scares people right off.

Tons of stuff in your journal to read, which constantly updates as you go along...NPC bios, history, geography, monster bestiary, etc

Certainly, this game is not lacking in atmosphere and excels at immersing you

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, all the story, text, and even the voiced narration are by Joe Dever, so if you're familiar with any of his 28 other Lone Wolf gamebooks, you'll have a good idea of what to expect here. It's no Lord of the Rings or Song of Ice and Fire, naturally, but then it's not trying to be – it's a gamebook, not a novel.

That said, the established world lends itself to a deeper narrative than many standalone gamebooks, and the entries for each location tend to be longer and less disjointed than those of Sorcery!, for example (although the latter does feel a bit more dynamic because of the way the encounters are pieced together).

7. Schinkenteppich

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks really good, expensive Week.....
    English only or more Support???

Thanks

8. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Based on the info in front of me, there should also be support for Italian, French, German and Spanish.

9. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I had a little bit of a play and finished the first battle. First impressions are that the presentation is very slick. Transitions were beautiful with some interesting choices and a map to boot.

I can't comment on the actual writing as of yet but I don't think there's any fantasy game book at the moment that can be compared to this as it's pretty unique with actual battle sequences.

10. sdiggbot

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    Some times it seems as if the game isnt registering your touch gestures as well as it should, but that might just be my frustration showing through.

There are some pretty cheap moments when the enemy will stun you and you literally stand there round after round unable to do anything until you are dead. No interrupt QTE, no action, nothing. Then you're dead. Not being able to restart a battle from the pause menu is kinda irksome too.

Considering hat it costs to repair things, the gold drops from the random encounters in Act 2 are pretty unbalanced....or maybe this is the game's way of telling me grinding doesn't work.

Would love to hear other's combat strategies, as I just want to make sure I am not completely over looking something that could make combat a tad easier (though now I seem to win 4/5 battles pretty consistent)

11. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    You only have yourself to blame for buying something without actually knowing anything about it. It's a gamebook, so obviously there's going to be quite a lot of reading.

12. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Bud, this is fantasy adventure storybook style game... Must read.

13. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Looks like the witcher.... Similar?

14. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Nice try, some people actually believe that you are actually an idiot that bought a game book and is complaining about it.

15. Forge Reply

Forge Reply Well-Known Member

It's a new story, written by Joe Dever and set between book 3 and book 4 of the original saga.

Everything is consistent with the lore of Lone Wolf, as Joe Dever worked with us for the whole development cycle.

16. Forge Reply

No, we're going to release a new Act every 2/3 months. Something similar as Sorcery, but the Acts will be app updates and not new apps.

It's great to meet another Lone Wolf fan out there!

17. Forge Reply

That's right.

And I can tell you that the localisation was a very hard part of the work to publish the game!

18. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Installed size?

Any arcade segments or purely turn based?

19. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    934 MB.

There are multiple simple QTEs in both the narrative entries and the battles, but whether you encounter them depends on your actions.

20. Forge Reply

Hey Appletini, you're faster than me answering questions!
    Just kidding, thanks about that.

We're glad that many TA users are enjoying the game and if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask :)