Universal Joe Danger (by Hello Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 9, 2013.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Does a sense of enormous well-being count?

2. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yes ;)

3. Jcheckel

Jcheckel Active Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Same here, says I'm 49/50 when the stages show I have them all.

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hm.... Well that's disappointing.

I was really enjoying the game regarding getting the levels complete. You know, getting all the letters, or the hidden star, or even just getting to the goal. But I started hitting some frustrations when I tried attaining high scores (to get the trophy on each level).

The controls were getting on my nerves. Sometimes my trick would work, sometimes it wouldn't register. Humorously, when it does register, 50% of the time it does so way too late, and I crash. The controls are kind of getting on my nerves in that sense. Getting a high score is hell when the controls don't register.

But the most disappointing thing is that I found that swiping my finger up constantly almost guarantees I do a trick... so I just keep doing that throughout the level, jumping when necessary and such, and seriously... I'm getting higher scores doing something a monkey can do blind-folded, than when I was actually trying. That's rather disappointing.

Oh well. A game of necessary precision such as Joe Danger obviously wouldn't translate 100% perfectly to iOS, so I suppose I shouldn't be that disappointed. Still a little frustrating, though.

Good job on the game, however. Other than these problems I've experienced, it's a very competent reimagining of one of my favorite PSN games :cool:

5. enigma2k

enigma2k New Member

May 13, 2012
    What are the hidden Hello Games icons good for?

What is the best way to get the 147 coins in order to unlock the last stage? Getting all 3 coins in the hard levels is pretty impossible for me. Any way around this?

6. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Only way to get 147 coins is to get all 3 on every stage (doesn't include bonus). Only way around it is practice.

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #187 GiHubb, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    I completely agree, the swipes just don't register often and your tip, well, just spoiled the challenge of obtaining the trophies! But so damn funny! Ha! I couldn't believe it worked! :) I can't believe I spent time and effort to nail flips etc which often didn't register! It also proved a point to a major flaw in this game. I went back to tour 1 and tour 2 and was able to easily pull off the trophies by just swiping up constantly. I'm sure I could pull it off in the other tours as well but no point doing it now. It's a fun game, but no match in the fun factor as the PSN version which I actually see as a very different game. Great stuff MasterChief3624, great stuff.

8. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I also liked the original

9. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    SPOILERS ahead on how to achieve scores in the millions:
    While we're at it ruining Joe's leaderboards, here is another funny trick I found: whenever there is a green pipe you need to duck under (such as the first stage in tour 2), do NOT duck, you will hit the pipe and bounce backwards. When you are at the farthest distance from it, swipe up to do a trick and bang into the pipe again to be thrown backwards again. swipe up. Repeat. You will now be able to achieve which ever score you fancy, all it takes is patience to "compete" with the high scores posted on Game Center in the millions. :)

10. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    And a good one.

11. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I never looked at Joe Danger as a high score game. I don't have the patience to sit there and repeat the same motion over and over just to grow my fake 'ego'. Joe Danger is all about the medals, especially the Pro medals. That's where the fun is. High scores are just there once you do everything else, and even then... I just want more levels! Now!

12. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Should we be expecting add-on's with this game? I'm nearing 100% and without any sort of iCloud integration, I'd hate to delete this and lose all my progress. Any additional content would be awesome, but I don't want to wait and not see it delivered. Any thoughts?

13. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Gah! I have gotten 58/59 pro medals, but messed up on one of the bonus levels, and the character I need to repeat the stage now is the golden Joe. :( Time to grind coins with Santa!

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The main problem for me is that there are at least two ways I've come across that can be used in multiple levels, where you can do something similar but keep your multiplier going so you can easily get it up to *50 with Golden Joe and boost your score by 150,000 per trick for as long as you want. I won't reveal them here, though, as I agree with you and it frustrates me how easy it is to game some of the leaderboards.

I'm sitting at the top of a few of the leaderboards (including number one on 7-9, with double the next highest score the last time I checked), but I got there without using these exploits. I've certainly not noticed any possible exploits on these levels, and I assume that's how I'm still at the top.

I just played as Golden Joe and just packed in as many tricks as possible and kept my multiplier going throughout entire stages. If anyone wants a challenge from the leaderboards and feels the exploits are ruining it, see if you can beat my scores on these levels. I guarantee that my scores on these were earned the old-fashioned way!

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Not sure if it makes you feel better about the leaderboards, but most scores in the millions will be legitimate. Obviously there are a few outlandish scores, but you can easily get in the millions without using any exploit by using Golden Joe. He has a max combo of x50 and a 200% score multiplier, so if you just keep scoring combos right through a stage, and don't break your combo counter, you can get into the millions on a single stage, including around 7 million from some of the later, longer stages.

Personally, I think it's a shame as it means most score trophies (except the stages which require a certain character) are a bit pointless and there's no point going for a high score unless you're using Golden Joe, but at least once you've unlocked Golden Joe you're on a level playing field and can go for the high scores if you're so inclined.

16. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    #196 Essex, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Disagree. Most high score trophies require 50,000 or 100,000 points to unlock, so you don't need Golden Joe to unlock all of them. Try getting the high score trophies with regular Joe Danger for a real challenge! So there is a "point going for a high score" without Golden Joe: it's harder to obtain the high score trophies without Golden Joe.

Personally, I am playing through the game entirely with regular Joe Danger, except for the levels that require different characters to complete. Once I 3-medal each level with regular Joe, then I'll go back for the high score trophies with regular Joe. Simply swiping up and down through most levels with regular Joe will not net you a high enough score to unlock the high score trophy. You gotta do jumps, double jumps, front flips, back flips, AND swipe up and down just to get a decent high score. If you want more challenge, use regular Joe ;) If you want to compete on the leaderboards, use Golden Joe.

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Pretty sure the PS3 original gave you a higher score if you mixed up the combos, but that isn't the case here. Jumps/double jumps don't contribute to your score and front/back flips take the same amount of time as donuts, and award the same number of points, but carry more risk. I think can squeeze more combos in if you alternate between upward swipes on te ground and in the air, but beyond that there's no score benefit to mixing it up.

18. Mumbles

Mumbles New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I'm also having this problem

Has anyone else figured out why this is?

Is it a bug or is there a hidden one somewhere?

Thanks in advance

19. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Had an email back from the devs about why one of my medals hadn't unlocked (can't play the last level as a result). They took a couple of days to reply, but they're a small team and guess they're swamped.

They said it's a bug and they were looking into it, but thought it might be related to the device powering off while saving.

This tallies with my experience as my battery died just as I'd earned a medal at one point. They're aiming to fix it in the next update.

Also, seemed like a really nice guy.

20. logical

logical Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Is there going to be a level editor in the future?