Universal Jetscout: Mystery of Valunians (by Dustin Auxier)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#21 Anotherkellydown, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    yeahhhhh.... that burns.

Thankfully this game rocks really hard. No regrets, just gonna have to keep an eye on future games by this dev and wait for a sale.

*emoji dude throwing arms in air* (wish I knew how to make that. If you know, dm me :D)

edit: I reached out to Dustin on Twitter. Seems like it truly was just a mistake. I’m sure he’s not trying to rip anyone off. Seems like a nice guy, and like MC posted earlier, this hasn’t happened with his other games.

Here’s what he had to say in response to my comment and question about the possibility of Game Center support:

”Glad you like it! Yeah I mispriced it initially for the style of game it is. Game Center may come at some point but it's low priority right now as I fix a few bugs and add some other game features.”

metalcasket likes this.
  2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think it’s probably a safe assumption that a price drop like that is not on purpose. I can see getting confused when you have a game listed in multiple platforms.

The funny thing is, I usually dislike Lunar Lander games, but so far I’m really enjoying this one. Maybe it’s because landing itself is very forgiving and the physics feel “streamlined.” And, of course, the graphics have a ton of charm. I like how dying is handled, too.

metalcasket and Anotherkellydown like this.
  3. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    This game is soooooo good. The planet with the spiny vine tentacles that grow out towards you actually feels so alive and hostile.

metalcasket likes this.
  4. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Well I can see why people were annoyed at the price change, I wouldn’t have paid a tenner for it but I’m more than happy to shell out for it at a fiver.
    Enjoying it, it’s good fun, about the right difficulty and the touch controls are pretty much spot on (although I have had a couple of issues with turning).

5. Anotherkellydown

The tilt controls work really well; I’d suggest giving them some time. I tried the touch controls just for the heck of it and I was going upside down and smashing into walls. Then again I didn’t give them much time so maybe they grow on you..

metalcasket likes this.
  6. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    ah no, they don’t grow on you unfortunately. They’re about 85% perfect but very so often they just do something completely wrong, like spin you round too far or the wrong way. It’s odd, I can’t put my finger on what causes it it does seem random but it’s starting to really annoy me, doesn’t feel like it’s finger placement...

When they work they feel spot on but then it all goes wrong.

I’m going to have to give the tilt goes I think.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  7. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    I’ve just tried the tilt controls and you’re right, they’re excellent. Not normally a fan of the, but they work really really well here.

8. dustinaux

dustinaux Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Hello, developer here. I wanted to drop by to share the latest update as well as clarify some things mentioned in this thread:

Firstly the price is now permanently $4.99 now and will never be higher. I mispriced the game initially for the style of the game it is - I originally had it priced at $9.99 to reflect the amount of work I put into it but realize now that it needs to be $4.99 to match what the market is willing to pay for a jetpack lander type of game.

In the latest update to version 1.13, the input system has been redone to use a newer Unity package, and the occasional quirk with the on-screen controls has been fixed with this update. If you still experience an issue, please email me at [email protected] so I can fix it as soon as I can. The tilt controls worked well before and are unchanged in this update.

Other major features in this update are the addition of an optional in-game timer with "speedrun" goal times for each mission to provide an optional challenge, and to complement this, a "Statistics" window to view at a glance various completion-related stats in the game.

Thank you all for playing the game!

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  9. Anotherkellydown

Great to have you here, @dustinaux!

A bug seems to have crept in with that new update. The jetpack is firing without touching the screen at certain times. Seems like it happens after launching from a pad or taking damage but I can’t seem to replicate it consistently.

I’m using an iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 14.3.

10. dustinaux

dustinaux Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Thanks for the report - are you using tilt or on-screen controls when this happens?

11. Anotherkellydown

#31 Anotherkellydown, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Tilt.

Something I need to mention: I dropped my phone yesterday and caught it when it was against the edge of the kitchen counter, screen forward. Thankfully I have a screen protector that now has three tiny cracks, two on the right and one on the left edges of the screen. I thought maybe that could cause unwanted input? I have no idea but wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problem.

edit: I took the screen protector off and tried again but it’s still happening. Can’t ever just be an easy fix :rolleyes: