Universal Jetpack Joyride (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. NinKuji

NinKuji Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Socialworker
    Germany
    instabuy, i loved monster dash and this one looks way better :)

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Interesting. Hodapp's preview seemed to give the opposite impression as far as it getting "boring". Think I'll still take a stab at this one. You did, after alll, dislike both Contre Jour and Spy Mouse, both of which I'm enjoying (the later of which the only issue I had was its file size).

But it's your opinion. Will be anxious to hear others.

That said, for those like Hodapp who have played it for a while, are the upgrades really that difficult to obtain without IAP?

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all and hb did a very good job, but it's more a coin dozer than a game. I want some rewarding challenge and level design, like in iBlast Moki 2 for example, which is also innovative contrary to jetpack, contre jour or spy mouse. Here it's only about collecting coins and upgrading, in a very polished package. A good time waster and far better than iCopter. It worths a dollar, and it will be 1st on the store tomorrow. I am not a big fan of hb games, and I don't understand the hype, that's all.

4. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Just bought the game, been playing for an hour, and it is awesome!

5. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Depends. The 750 metre head start is 1,000, and for 5 it's 3,000. Like for eg, 5 quick revives are 25,000! But I do think that some items are difficult to obtain, and are overpriced.

6. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #86 eev, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    same here actually, all games are very polished but somehow too plain. but gonna try this one out, gameplay looks fun.

7. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Well, when I start playing a hb game, I get bored after a week, or a month. But I know I won't get bored of this.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This is good to hear. I actually liked Monster Dash, but it kind of wore off on me fairly quickly and I gravitated towards Rogue Runner as my go-to runner just because they were constantly adding new levels, perspectives, etc.

Hoping this one has some staying power on my iPod.

9. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Gee what a rip getting only a week or a month of entertainment out of a buck or two... :rolleyes:

10. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Can't believe how good this is BEST GAME EVER! If this doesn't stay 1st for months then I will shoot myself (Not really :p)

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Been playing for 15 minutes and i agree with that theres only lasers and missiles. Theres only one level but it changes every time you reach some distance and thats nice. I recommend placing the introduction of the official video in the game. There are a few items in the store that i like. Other than that, is a lot of fun avoiding the lasers and missiles while killing some engineers. Its where the game shines

One thing i would like to see is the different effects of the jetpacks on the engineers, for example the one hidding and ducking could rise and see thats only water and then run away (from the bubble jetpack), just details.

12. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia

Hahaha that's a cool idea. We actually decided to make the dudes still be frightened of the bubble gun jetpack, simply because we thought it would look a bit funny ;). On the other hand, none of them are scared of the Rainbow Jetpack!

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    While that's a fair criticism, there's a lot of casual games that I have had on my iPod Touch since the day they came out. A story-driven game I can expect to "complete" fairly quickly and I don't have a problem with that.

Yes, $1 is well worth many, many apps given the price of going to see a movie. But you can't buy them all, or you'd go broke. So, unfortunately, you do have to look at things like replay value, particularly in a casual game. For better or worse, it's just the nature of the App Store.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I too used to wonder sometimes if the game was overhyped but turns out Halfbrick did it again. First of all this runner actually lets you get some distance before getting difficult, even the most casual player can probably jump in and ease in. Second, the Call of Duty type achievements makes this extremely addictive. Yes, it gives you a few for not really achieving anything, but that makes the player feel good until they improve enough for real awards. You also get rewards frequently, coins abound everywhere and even terrible players are going to go for those spin coins just to see what they get after the round. Add to that the variety of vehicles and level setups, and this is already an easy top 10 contender.

Some of you might already have gotten deep into the game to the point where you want even more tricky level setups and vehicles. I agree, just keep in mind two things, this is a 99 cents game, and the game's certainly designed for DLC in a few months.

It's a little odd not having a regular main menu screen but I guess Halfbrick realized the market they are going after will be so addicted they'll want to jump into a new game immediately.

Game's awesome.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Having a runner that goes on long before getting difficult isn't a plus in my book. I haven't played this (can't yet), so just going on what you're saying. I didn't like that Death Worm clone (probably Death Worm too, but I haven't played that yet) because it was truly endless and I'd stop not because it was game over, but because it got dull from going on so long. So now I'm really not sure about Jetpack. Hmm.

16. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I've got at least a hundred hours in fruit ninja. HB has earned a few extra bills from me... :)

17. Applover33

Applover33 New Member

Sep 18, 2010
    There's a bug in the game, I have an iPhone 3G and downloaded the game about an hour ago, everytime I exit the game all my coins are lost :/ I'm not sure why this is? But I must of collected 3000 coins and now it says I have 0 , if someone has the same problem?

18. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Applover!

Sorry you are having problems. This is the first case we've had of missing coins in the last 3 months of testing, lucky you! :D

Anyway, we actually have a back up system just incase something like this happens, where we can manually restore your coins / items. Hit me up in a personal message and I will work with you to get this resolved.

Cheers!

19. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Great game ! My daughter is an hardcore fan of AoZ and more of Monster Dash so she will be in love with this new opus !!!

20. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    That'd be cool:D