Jet Set Radio ($0.99)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Greyskull, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Yes.

Generally speaking, "later" means 11, but not always. Usually though.

2. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    $0.99 now

NOW on SALE! :p

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Have never touched a Dreamcast, but this looks pretty good for a dollar. Getting it.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The vitrual control stick definitely lets the game down a little. It was always tricky, but this version far more so, even after switching the sensitivity to low. The buttons work fine though.

The game has never looked better than it does on my iPad, thanks to some updated textures and crisp, retina-enhanced edges everywhere, but there is quite a bit of noticeable pop-in on models and scenery in the game world that doesn't occur on other versions. Content-wise, it seems almost 100% identical, bar one song as mentioned in the description and possibly minus the graffiti editor of the DC version, but I haven't checked.

If you can get pack the iffy virtual stick, you'll find yourself playing one of Sega's finest gaming achievements. The DC era really pushed them to innovate and throw out some crazily unique ideas that have yet to be matched over a decade later.

5. Graffiti Editor is certainly in there

6. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I picked it up. Will play later.

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    9.99? I got it for free!! :p

But umm yeah, not a fan of this game. Bring on Jet Set Radio Future.

8. HeroComa

HeroComa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Student
    Long Beach, California
    Tbh this game is really fun, the controls gets iffy at times but once you get the hang of it you're just gliding everywhere! I definitely recommend this for the hardcore gamers and with the dollar sale, it's a steal!

9. leonheart1

leonheart1 Active Member

Aug 16, 2009
    I can't get thirty god damn tricks in just the tutorial!
    How is everyone doing it??

I've only managed to get 23 by going up and down the long orange rail then jumping to the green.

And I've no idea why sometimes I jump I do a trick but other times I don't.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #30 MidianGTX, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Blasphemy! Future was a step down! And cel-shading was old by then!

You can do an infinite combo in that area, and tricks depend on speed.

The route is clockwise around the area. Starting at the orange rail, grind all the way to the end and as you turn right jump and wallride along the billboard on top of the bus shelter, landing on the green rail. Then it's a long jump diagonally right over to the next green rail which sits at a 90-degree angle, and at the end of that rail you wallride again on the billboard that sits next to it on the left, jumping off and landing on the third green rail which has the jump in the middle. From there it's back to the orange rail and keep going until time itself ceases to be.

...in theory.

11. imjhonfre

imjhonfre Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    does someone know how long is this sale going to last? looks like ill have to wait till tuesday to get it from gnomeescape :S

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The only feature I would have liked to see back ported from JSRF was auto grinding on rails - that was something that I felt really made the first game more work. Otherwise, both games are fantastic and the original holds up very well, especially with the higher resolution graphics.

13. HeroComa

Jul 13, 2009
    Student
    Long Beach, California
    #33 HeroComa, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    I found a (useful) glitch where when you are spraying over graffiti, when you press the spraycan, tap again, you'll notice that it sprayed without you swiping, exit and repeat, this makes it ALOT easier if you can get the swiping correctly, I'm already on Chapter 2 with the Golden Rhino saga and the game is pretty challenging but it's still forgivable because it looks so good :p, Sorry..... My nostalgia is kicking in T^T

EDIT: This only works with Graffiti levels like Beat, Combo, Cube(my choice), Mew, and Garam.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Dang this is pretty hard at times.

Skating is really "floaty".

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's almost as if they were on wheels :)

16. HeroComa

Jul 13, 2009
    Student
    Long Beach, California
    Oh I found another glitch(like right now)
    In the first area Shibuyu-shi, don't fall in between the cracks of a green fence and a freeway, you'll end up like me.

Attached Files:

17. wingsofdestiny89

wingsofdestiny89 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    SG
    WOW. Trippy.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Lol aren't you the smart one.

It must be pretty hard to control with sticks, too.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah it takes some getting used to. Acceleration is agonizingly slow if you're not boosting, losing speed is a common issue and you can't change direction sharply without braking. I see it as part game design, part old-school tricky controls. It doesn't take too long to get past with control sticks but I'm not sure about this version... not a fan of virtual buttons on any game.

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Worth my buck?