Japanese games.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GatorDeb, Mar 2, 2009.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    #1 GatorDeb, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    Here I am in bed, sick as a dog, and completely hooked on Magipic, one of the three games in the Nintendo DS game Pic Pic (E and J).

What are some of your favorite Japanese logic games?

1. Nonograms (Picross) - awesome, addicting game.
    2. Magipic (does anyone know the more general name?). Here's a review of the Nintendo DS game.
    3. Nurikabe - I am totally addicted to this game. Found it on the app store (Nurikabe Full and Nurikabe) and then got the Japanese Nurikabe game for the Nintendo DS.

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
  3. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
  4. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    nice thread the problem I usually have with these types of games is that they don't come with a tutorial to help you learn how to play, any recomendations for begginers?

P.S: I hope you get better. ;)

5. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well Nurikabe looks amazing. Guess i'm gonna have to check it out.

I've always liked Picross. Never was a Picross fanatic, but it was to have a go at it every now and then.

And btw, Sudoku isn't Japanese, it's American... (Also mentioned in the wiki article...) ;)

6. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA

I usually Wikipedia them to learn how to play, or try to find flash-based ones. Nurikabe took me a few tries to learn but it was well worth it.

7. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    wow, just searched nurkabe on wikipedia, and it said something about polynomials and thats all I really understood. lol. I'll see if I can find a game with interactive tutorial

8. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Try this for Nurikabe.

I would really like to find out the general name for Magipic, since I think I love it more than Nurikabe (and that's saying a lot :eek:).

9. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
  10. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    hi, just downloaded nurikabe lite and watched the tutorials after a couple of games I downloaded the full for 99 cents ! thanks for the recommendation

11. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I read where some people on the forums were discussing a Japanese game in the app store where someone is stalking some girls in the game. It sounded really creepy especially since I was being stalked briefly recently. What wierd game was that anyway?

12. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #12 DHrox, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    FBGirls. And you stalked a guy in the game too.

13. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Whoa creepy

14. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    GatorDeb, at the risk of seriously decreasing your (mental) health, my vote is for the Maysu series of Japanese logic games. There are three, each harder than the other (only $1 each) with lots of puzzles in each one.

I personally prefer Maysu Bug, because the 60 puzzles start easy but get very hard! And once you've actually finished them all, you can replay them because you'll never remember the solutions :confused:

More info on the gameplay: http://tootsweet.com/

15. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I own all three :D

16. #17 mrbass, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    Masyu is only one I've had to learn on iphone since I never saw it on DS...others I all learned on DS.
    Nurikabe which already metioned still need to finish about 150 more levels on Japanese DS one.
    Hitori I like but the one I own on iphone sucks so bad don't even bother.
    Kakuro I love quite a bit (see Gameloft's Plantinum Sudoku) yes I realize Kakuro is from Dell's Magazine's but Japanese popularized it so I think of it as Japanese even though its origin isn't.
    KenKen I like quite a bit which is relatively new. I have the free demo on iphone but you need a Japanese itunes account to download it. It's basically mathematical + - x /. see kenken.com I do have the Japanese DS edition which is nice.

The following mentions are Japanese ones found in PuzzleManiak or ArcadeManiak or both of them.

Slitherlink (Loopy) is one of my all time favorites I believe I solved over 300 outta the 400 puzzles on the Japanese Slitherlink DS edition
    Akari (Lightup) can't beat this for fun. This is up there for all time favorite too.
    Hashiwokakero (Bridges) rules don't get much easier than this.
    Fillomino (Filling) I like better than Sudoku.
    Shikaku (Rectangles) is pretty easy and entertaining.
    Futoushiki (Unequal) I've never really mastered this one still working on it though.

I'd say two most prolific QUALITY publishers of Japanese puzzle books, puzzles syndicated in newspapers, etc. are Nicoli and Conceptis

edit: oops forgot Hashiwokakero

17. Now iHitori $2 is out looks much better in the User Interface department but I ain't gonna get burned again for $2 by Chillingo. Gonna wait and see if they're any opinions on this one. Failing that probably email dev if possible.

18. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #19 Alichan76, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    I am hoping that Kenta Cho from ABA Games will bring all of his freeware games to the iDevice. Mostly, I'm hoping for Torus Trooper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tGn6BKLlQ, but they're all good really. They would have to be completely faithful to the Opensource versions i.e CRAZY fast, awesome music, and beautiful to look at. So what do you say Kenta?