Japanese Emoji

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Wegmans, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    #1 Wegmans, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    What's the deal with these things? I thought we'd be able to use these in the firmware 2.2? Any insight? :)

hey i edited the title so maybe it will be of more use.. just download an app called FrostyPlace and then you can enable dozens and dozens of emoticons to use in txt messages etc..

2. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    proabably only for japanese phones D:

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    did you try setting your iphone keyboard to Japanese?

Im betting they are considered extra keys for that set so only japanese phones see them/send them

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I can't find it either. I've tried setting my keyboard to Japanese but I don't know that language so it's a bit hard to look. I think I checked everything though! :p

5. Nope emoji still not there. I don't think Apple really knows how to be a big player in Japan. Right now they're not even visible and most Japanese you ask never have heard of an iphone. They really don't know the Japanese consumer at all. Give apple a few more years though and they might be a player in Japan.

6. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

If it's any consolation, emoji isn't even "available" for most iPhone owners living in Japan. ;)

It only works with SMS and with the carrier-provided email account. Problem is, the carrier-provided email account doesn't support push, and auto-deletes all emails after thirty days. So no one actually uses it. But if you use MobileMe (like I do) or Gmail/Yahoo/etc, emoji is disabled - we can't even receive it.

Brilliant, isn't it?

7. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Wow, that's weird because I mean at least over at MacRumors, it seems like it had been hyped up a little... I guess i thought we'd have SMS emoticons or something..

Oh well, maybe in the future we'll see it!

8. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
  9. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
  10. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008