Jailbroken or Normal iPhone? its advantages and disadvantages?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ericxd, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    When you say cracked games, does that mean you are able to get all the games in the app store for free if your device is jailbroken?

2. ixBilalxi

ixBilalxi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Fremont, Ca Bay Area
    Guys if an app like Let's Golf doesnt work in your fw 2.2 iphone.

Go to wherever your mobile apps are on your computer(mine are here: C:\Users\Bilal\Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications) and perform the following steps.

1. Rename .ipa to .zip
    2. Double click file
    3. Find info.plist
    4. Open with notepad
    5. CTRL F to find an areas where it says 2.2.1 and change to 2.2
    6. Save file
    7. Winzip will ask you if you want to update archive, click yes
    8. Rename .zip back to .ipa

People on this forum know a lot about games but very little about jailbreaking (with the exception of a few individuals).

I run my iphone with 40 to 50 mb of free ram which is more than most non jb folk because i can kill processes and free up memory with a combination of FreeMem and SBSettings kill processes widget

3. One other disadvantage to jailbreaking is that programs like Winterboard and other background apps eat memory, which leaves less for games and other apps, so you may experience more frequent crashing with more memory-hungry apps, or some may not run at all without disabling some of the fancier stuff. If you run a lot of background apps, you may also experience performance degradation and reduced battery life.

I jailbreak pretty much exclusively for Snapture, Cycorder, and Categories. I have Winterboard installed only because it's necessary; I don't use any memory-hungry features like backgrounds 'n stuff. I have to test a lot of apps for review, so I can't have memory eaten up by stuff that's not strictly necessary. But I've been into the jailbreak scene since November '07, so I kinda have a history. The App Store totally changed the scene though, and I'm not nearly into it like I used to be.

I'm also pretty anti-piracy and think the kiddies stealing apps should man up and support developers. (Not to turn this into a piracy debate; it was mentioned a few times so I'm adding my $0.02 worth of "don't be an idiot" to this particular point.)

4. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    My iPod touch is slower, but not significantly since I jailbroke it. Pre-jailbreak and post-jailbreak performance wise? Not much difference. But you can change your themes, add 3rd party apps you couldn't before, and I guess use the device you purchased to its fullest extent/potential.

5. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    The ipod touch has a faster processor and games run smoother. Devs have to make concessions for the iphone so they may experience lag, crashes while ipod touch users do not. Since your ipod touch has been JB, I guess it's like having an iphone for you perhaps.

6. Only the 2nd gen Touch runs at 520MHz. 1st gen is still at 412 like the iPhone.

7. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Re Phone - you won't get visual voicemail if you jailbroke to run of different carrier

one of the most overlooked features of the iPhone IMO - this feature alone would have got me buying the iPhone over others as it's made my working day a lot easier

this won't mean much for people using iPod touch primarily as games device of-course

8. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Yes, I know. Forgot to put 2nd gen :)

9. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I wouldn't really say that's a disadvantage of jailbreaking. Sure, those apps can use extra memory, but that's completely separate from the act of jailbreaking. That's up to the user to put on.

10. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    What source is FreeMem on?:confused:

11. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    He probably means the actual app in the app store.

12. ixBilalxi

ixBilalxi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Fremont, Ca Bay Area
    Sorry i meant Memtool.

The source is ispazio. That should be loaded default right. Im not sure. Google if its not.