JackQuest - The Tale of the Sword [ 2D Action Metroidvania by NetoX]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by netox, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netox

netox Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Brazil
    #1 netox, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    [​IMG]

Hello community, I want to introduce you to my third project. JackQuest is a 2D platform game with lots of action.

If you enjoy challenging bosses, jumping on walls, discovering secret passages, and collecting items to explore new areas, JackQuest is your game!

More information here:jackquestgame.com

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Oh hell yeah!

3. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Looks great!

4. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Can I test? Please please please!

5. Akaki

Akaki Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Community Moderator 2K, Community Support EA.
    Michigan, United States
    Looks pretty dope. Let me kmow how I can help you out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Wow!
    Looks great, I would love to help (on iOS, I saw you have links for the demo/beta on your website but it’s PC and Android only of course).

7. netox

netox Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Brazil
    Sure, PM for testflight

8. netox

netox Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Brazil
    PM for testflight

9. netox

netox Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Brazil
    Thanks for email me. Invited!

10. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Oh yeah....this looks sick

11. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Message sent . ;-) I love that giant sword but tiny character thing going lol.

12. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    So I played for a little bit. This game is really hard. I mean I’ve never been very good at this specific type of gameplay but I really didn’t expect it to be this difficult. Maybe it’s healing is so rare and the save points are few and far between. I died maybe 10 or so times getting to the first boss, now I’m sort of stuck after the boss. You should really add a save point right before the boss so we can save it because the way back after him is a very difficult one so when you die you have to go all the way back down and fight him again. The boss itself was very easy so fighting him wasn’t an issue it’s just fighting him over and over because I can’t get back to the save point . Also I highly recommend connecting and making the move buttons bigger because I’m constantly fighting myself not jumping in any specific direction until it’s too late because my thumb keeps sliding outside the button area, sliding between left and right would make the game play smoother, more fluid. There’s no reason to have that dead space between the two buttons! Lol this game is very fun I’m sure it’s meant to be difficult so I’m not saying change the levels or anything it just needs more save points or a check point system before and after a boss.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I’m on the same boat. As I posted on TestFlight, rather than adding more checkpoints, the game could use the same system as Ori and the Blind Forest, which lets you use resources to save anywhere. There are already save crystals in game, so it wouldn’t much of a stretch.

14. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Yeah. It doesn’t matter to me how it’s done. Just as long as I don’t have to repeat boss fights in case I can’t get back to the save point lol, considering healing is a little hard to come by and 3 fails and you die. :p yes I did see the heart on my way to the boss (the one that adds a 4th heart) and I tried a few times to get it succsssfully but I couldn’t get back once I got over there because of the placing of the spikes and the distance and movement of jump. I figured I needed double jump to actually get back from there.

15. netox

netox Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Brazil
    First of all thank you all for the interest in testing this game, I am receiving a lot of requests for access to the testflight.

I'm going to add a roadmap based on the feedback I've received so far.

1 - Increase the number of checkpoints to save.
    2 - Increase the amount of crystals.
    3 - The Torch sold by Gabe the Merchant allows saving the game and anywhere, its price will be decreased.
    4 - Check the controls, especially the white spaces between the keys.

About the the hearts, double jump is necessary to catch it and get out alive from there.

I hope to launch a new update soon! Thank you

OBS:. Looking yet for MFI/Controls test

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Great. I would put checkpoints before and after boss fights. But also, look at areas that require tricky maneuvers — getting a checkpoint afterward can serve as a reward and avoid frustration without lowering difficulty.

17. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    #17 dbagga84, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Great news. I have a SteelSeries Nimbus so I could test out controls for that if you’d like. Just pleeeeeeease keep in mind the nimbus does NOT have an R3 and L3 (aka clickable thumb sticks) soo if you can avoid making the control scheme use those it would be appreciated. There have been a few games that I’ve played that got ruined control wise because they require clickable analog sticks :-/ it’s the only problem with the nimbus controller. Hopefully when they make a steelseries Cumulus (hey it fits the theme lol) they will actually add R and L 3 buttons.

Just in case you don’t already know the nimbus has L and R 1, 2. X, Y, A, B, 2 thumbsticks, a D-pad and a single button in the middle usually for pause/start.

18. netox

netox Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Brazil
    Thanks man! I would love to receive information about your test with the nimbus

19. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I can give it a whirl on a gamevice if you fancy. I’ll pm.

20. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Sure, just let me know or i can keep an eye out on TestFlight for an update that adds mfi controls.