iPad I've got a new game in development... (jakooistra)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jakooistra, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    ...but I'm having trouble making it really fun. It's kind of so-so.

What would you, as fans of Blue Defense and Blue Attack think I should do?

A) stop development on my prototype, and work on a new game that I think I can really make up to the standard of BA/BD

B) continue development, trudge it out in the hopes that I can actually make it really fun (doubtful at this point, but still possible)

C) wrap up development ASAP, and release a half-finished product on iTunes for $0.99 or for free

I'm leaning towards (A) due to my pride. I don't want to go with (C), because I don't want to mar my image with something that's half-baked, but I also don't want my development time to go to waste here. (B) is a tough decision, because I'm not fully sure that I can make this game work, in which case it's the worst decision because I've both wasted time AND it will mar my name as a developer.

I've never had a choice like this before, and I don't want to just give up development, but it might be the best choice I've got.

What do you guys think?

Answers for (C) with the reason "I like free games" are appreciated, but not very helpful for me. :p

please qualify all answers with thought-out reasons.

2. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    My advice is to try making it fun, but I don't know what kind of app you mean, so I can't really give a good advice, but my first reaction is that you can best finish it.

3. rojaz

rojaz Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Network\Server Technician
    Leeds, UK
    any chance at a look at what the game is?
    if it sounds half good we might want it to be put out there.
    if it sounds just rubbish we would be more likely say scrap it.

wouldnt want to say scrap it and miss out on an amazing game

4. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    yeah, tell us more about the game... maybe some good idea will come out.

5. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I vote for A. You're a top notch developer so people would expect nothing less than the quality of BA/BD. If you don't believe in it yourself, it's probably best to let it go.

6. PSD

PSD Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Disabled
    Connecticut
    C is definitely not an option.
    Maybe let a few people try it and give you ideas/suggestions if at all possible?
    I think that will go a long way to deciding between A and B.

7. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Why not make a quick beta build and distribute adhoc so people can throw some quick tips at your to improve it to the point of a decent enough game

Why work in the dark ... we're all sat here willing to help

8. dominator

dominator Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Undercover reply :D

Why not make a quick beta build and distribute adhoc so people can throw some quick tips at your to improve it to the point of a decent enough game

Why work in the dark ... we're all sat here willing to help and play

seriously jakooistra i belive in you, i'm know your game are awesome and your protoype is maybe a good and fun idea.
    Juts take all the time you need to polish it and add content.
    Tell here whats the purpose of the game and let us think and tell to you what you can add in it.
    And ASAP as you want i'm ready for a french translation :p

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I would stop and work on the new game.

The most important thing is that you have pride in your work. If you aren't happy with it then just keep it on the back burner. Who knows, you may end with a mechanic that doesn't work for your new game but would work better in the one you are thinking of stopping.

I agree with synagence about the adhoc though. I know a lot of devs don't like to send out builds unless they are near complete builds but a distribution to a select few might be a good idea. A few ideas might be just what you need to make it great.

Just my thoughts

10. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    D. Get others to test out the prototype and offer you tips.

E. Put it on hold and work on something else. You can always come back to it anytime.

From one dev to another, don't force yourself to make something YOU don't think is fun. I'd go with E for now. :)

Good luck!

11. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    If your not feeling good about it, then you've already answered your question.
    Although like others have said we wold like to know what your working on???

12. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

How do you know itÂ’s not fun? Have you show it to anyone else yet?

Do I think Bejeweled fun? Absolutely no. But million other people will not agree with me.

If this is just your opinion alone, I'll go with D as Knight suggested. Maybe you are making a game that you are not qualified as the player :) At the very least, this will confirm your assumption.

D. Get others to test out the prototype and offer you tips.

13. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That's the way to go. ;)

14. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I think if there are elements to the game that you like you should salvage a few and start a new game. BA and BD are so good I would have to agree that you do not want to tarnish your rep. You are a very watched dev and your next game will have a lot of early adopters due to name rec alone, but if you give them even a "decent" game your going to be burned at the stake by those same supporters. Make sure your next game is really good. Most people don't care about the time it takes to make a game...as long as the game is worth it.

15. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    I don't think you keedto go as far as betas, just give us an idea.

16. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Your blue games are excellent master pieces, I expect a lot from your next work then I dont want a game that you dont like and I think is a bad idea because you will lose reputation. There are lot of people that dont read this forum but will buy your game based on the last games.
    You can stop that work and maybe in future get a nice idea to make it fun or you can launch the actual game at 0,99 but be sure to use an Alias in the appstore. I will buy that game no matter if its only to support your next one and when released who knows what our feedback will do

I,m glad to see the way you think and respect more for that, good luck

17. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Yeah good call on getting feedback. Jakioostra +1

18. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I think everyone has pretty well covered the answers for you, but I'll stick my two cents in anyway :D

synagence had a good idea: let some people try it even in an early state to see what they think. Maybe they'll tell you it actually is fun, or maybe they'll tell you how they think you can make it fun.

C, as pointed out more than once, is truly not an option. Nothing destroys the reputation of a developer faster than putting out a half finished game, even if it is free. Look what happened to Sierra in the 90's.

Ultimately, though, if you're not feeling it, it's not going to matter what anyone else thinks. A project is not worth working on if you don't like it, and it will just bog you down. If you really don't like where the project is going, just move on (I have some first hand experience with this).

19. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I'd go with my gut feeling in your position, I'd go with A.

20. Can it, toss it, trash it. Why risk your reputation by putting out crap then have that possibly jeopardize sales of your other decent games.