iPad iTunes not Updating Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by SudoWorks LLC, Jan 13, 2009.

1. SudoWorks LLC

SudoWorks LLC Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I'm having an issue with my Apps it seems that my iPhone will tell me when an update is out but when I search iTunes it does not find the Updates and I have to manually download new versions.

Is this just me or is it a larger issue?

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    If you're going through the app store on the iPhone itself (through the App launcher) just go to "Updates" and click "install" in the app description (upper right hand side). Then you'll be asked to put in your account password.

If you're doing it through iTunes on your MAC/PC, go to "Applications" on the left hand side window (should be right under music, podcasts, photos, etc. on that side. When you get to see your various apps, hit "udates available" on the bottom right hand side. From there you just hit "download all updates" (big option on the upper right hand side). Once the updates are all downloaded, sync your phone. The updates will then install.

3. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Ya, hes doing that, but it says theres no updates, when he knows for a fact that there is. Im having the same problem. Its happened, but usually fixes itself.

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My iTunes hasn't been able to update anything since December... Sucks because there are apps not on my iTouch that I'm waiting for updates for

5. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    For awhile, updates didn't even show up in the app store on my phone but they still showed up in iTunes on my computer. Apple really needs to get these problems sorted out.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Strange. I've yet to experience any issues.

I've probably just jinxed myself. Damn.

7. gmatom

gmatom Well-Known Member

updates

This might help (it fixed it for me)- make sure you are logged into the iTunes account you bought the apps through when you try to update. ITunes can get really confused and think there are updates but then not find them if you've logged in to a different account (or someone else has logged in).

If you are on the phone, in the App Store scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and you'll see "Account: xyz", to tell what account is active.

Evidently when you sync your phone to your computer, whatever the current logged in account on the computer's iTunes becomes the default account on the phone.

8. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Yeah...doesn't help.

9. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I agree with the above post.....as someone that has multiple accounts, anytime I want a different account assigned to my phone I log in to that account then synch, tap appstore and scroll down and make sure it's changed.

Did you know: The iPhone will only hold content from five different accounts.

10. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Five different accounts simultaneously that is.

I have a music, apps, movies, all on seperate accounts for better management

11. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    i think im havin this problem too
    i heard you guys saying a bugdom update was out with a touch controls.
    but to this day, app store and itunes lists, no update? hmm

12. theoptimusdime

theoptimusdime New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm having the same issues. I hope there is a solution soon!

13. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I thought it was just me! I had resorted to following Appshopper for updates and then redownloading them manually. Very tedious! Must be a glitch at the moment

14. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    This is a known issue, and an annoying bug.

Solution/Work around:

Delete/Remove all apps from iTunes that aren't from your main account.

I had 3 apps bought in the US store, the rest from the AU store. Having those US items in my library caused iTunes to report "There are no updates for any of your apps."

Removing the US ones from the iPhone and iTunes solved the problem permanently, instantly.

Hopefully they'll fix this and you can put them back when this happens.

If you have lots of apps (i have ~260) it can be hard to find which were bought in one store. Choose the topmost title in iTunes, right click and choose 'Get Info'... then you'll see a field showing which store it was purchased in. Keep pressing Next to cycle through your apps one by one, watching that field for the change. When it says the other store, delete that app, then move on. When they're all gone, updates will work.

Or, live without updates till there is a fix, if there is a fix.

15. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks! :) I've been having this problem for quite some time now... :(

16. rixm

rixm Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    I've been having this same issue since updating to iTunes 8.0.2

Never ever had the issue prior to that.

So today I come home and there are 6 updates according to the iphone. iTunes on my mac continues to say there are no updates (as it has since the 8.0.2 update)

If anyone knows a solution I'd love to hear it. Apple support forums have a number of posts on the same issue. Last I checked (more than a week ago) no-one had a solution (at least not one that I've seen actually work)

And, BTW, all of my apps are purchased from the US store, all from the same account.

Frustrating to say the least.

Rich

17. SudoWorks LLC

SudoWorks LLC Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I had a single game I had downloaded with another account. I deleted it from iTunes and BAM updates work. interesting bug.

18. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow that worked!

lol 14 updates

19. SkippyThorson

SkippyThorson Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Actually, no it hasn't updated for me in some time either. I'm hoping this will get resolved quickly.

Probably in time for NFS. ;)

20. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Ok, so i think mentioning that game in any reference from this time on should result in a permanent ban! I cant stand it anymore!!!! It needs to come out!